USR8054 - reboots, WEP flakey

A neighbor just bought a USR 8054 (router + USR5410 cards) from Tiger,
and couldn't get it working for the wireless.
I brought over one of my laptops with Netstumbler
and found that the USR 8054 was sending out WEP status.
I thought it would be an easy fix - 2hrs later - I gave up.
The WEP setting on the router showed "disable",
but yet Netstumbler and may card's status software was showing WEP
active...
Tried to set WEP up with a key - but could not get it to work.
We filled in 1 of the 4 slots with "mikey" and also set the laotp - no
go -
Every so often his desktop, which was hardwired to the router
would show "cable unplugged"
or my laptop showed "wireless disconnect"
and the router leds would blink and I'm guessing be rebooting.
Our wireless laptop would never get connected to the network,
but did show a wireless connection to the AP side.
What a mystery -
reboots ?,
WEP enabled regardless of WEP settings ?
trying to setup WEP and it still doesn't work ?
and just general flakey response.
Unfortunately, after 2hrs of weirdness... we had to leave -

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Phil,

As you probably suspect the USR 8054 is a better door stop than wireless
router / gateway.
I bought one, had it less than a month and got it replaced under warranty
and the second one was just as bad.
Continual reboots / lockups seem to be the main problem. I don't know how
USR stays in business selling products like this but I've learned my lesson.
I cut my losses and bought a 3COM, it has worked flawlessly for many months
now.
If possible return the USR and get the 3COM 3CRWE554G72, it's a little more
expensive but it works, which is more than I can say for the 8054. Do a
Google search on both the USR and the 3COM and you'll see what I mean.

Tony

"Phil Schuman" <pschuman_NO_SPAM_ME@interserv.com> wrote in message
> A neighbor just bought a USR 8054 (router + USR5410 cards) from Tiger,
> and couldn't get it working for the wireless.
> I brought over one of my laptops with Netstumbler
> and found that the USR 8054 was sending out WEP status.
> I thought it would be an easy fix - 2hrs later - I gave up.
> The WEP setting on the router showed "disable",
> but yet Netstumbler and may card's status software was showing WEP
> active...
> Tried to set WEP up with a key - but could not get it to work.
> We filled in 1 of the 4 slots with "mikey" and also set the laotp - no
> go -
> Every so often his desktop, which was hardwired to the router
> would show "cable unplugged"
> or my laptop showed "wireless disconnect"
> and the router leds would blink and I'm guessing be rebooting.
> Our wireless laptop would never get connected to the network,
> but did show a wireless connection to the AP side.
> What a mystery -
> reboots ?,
> WEP enabled regardless of WEP settings ?
> trying to setup WEP and it still doesn't work ?
> and just general flakey response.
> Unfortunately, after 2hrs of weirdness... we had to leave -

Agreed. I had a USR8054 for a few days before returning it. Definitely not a
good router / gateway for the beginner. Hard to configure and didn't want to
work right half the time. Most of the USR documentation was incorrect...
especially the hard reset instructions which were useless. I replaced it
with a Microsoft "G" router and have been thoroughly pleased.

"Tony" <tonyreo@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> Phil,
>
> As you probably suspect the USR 8054 is a better door stop than wireless
> router / gateway.

FYI - from my neighbor -
---
This afternoon (Sunday) I decided to give it one more shot before I
went the return route. Well, I managed to get all the computers talking
to the router and the internet. I'm still using WEP, but I reset the
router to its factory setting via the hardware instructions and started
from there.

Now I'm going to fumble my way through setting up a mini network so that
certain files can be shared off my desktop and sharing of the
printer(s).