keith

I cannot exchange files with another Messenger user. I
think the problem is that I have a firewall, but I am
unable to disconnect it.

jw

is your PC at home or at work ?
if at work, then talk to your Administrator about the consequences of
removing your firewall. if it is at home, then you really should not turn
off your firewall, if you do not fully understand the consequences. Your
firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware programs protects you from hackers,
viruses, worms, Trojan horses, zombies, and many other pests that can
destroy your data, or worse (e.g. steal your account numbers, passwords and
identity).

a better solution to your problem is to better understand the requirements
of Messenger, and aim to satisfy Messenger's requirements for transferring
files.