So a Dimension 2400 is worthless, huh....

Last response: in Computer Brands
August 14, 2005 7:37:16 PM

Just reconfigured my Dimension 2400 that I bought last year. It was a $349
special. P4-2.8/533, 512MB. Nothing special.

Now it is running Media Center Edition 2005.
Has a total of 850GB storage (250GB internal, 600GB external USB2)
Has four TV tuner cards (internal Hauppauge 500MCE dual tuner, 2 external
Hauppauge PVR USB2)
Runs Snapstream's BeyondTV to simultaneously record up to 4 concurrent
shows.

Oh, and is now my primary machine. Drives dual LCD panels from a nVidia PCI
video card. In hindsight, I should have bout the 4600 for an AGP slot, but
not bad for a 'cheap little machine' characterized in this newsgroup as
useless.

No point in the post. Just interesting.

Tom
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 7:47:50 PM

Tom,

Very good point that it's not useless. I don't know if I would be running
one the way that you are, however I do know that they're still very cool
hardware :-)

-gg-

> Just reconfigured my Dimension 2400 that I bought last year. It was a
> $349 special. P4-2.8/533, 512MB. Nothing special.
>
> Now it is running Media Center Edition 2005.
> Has a total of 850GB storage (250GB internal, 600GB external USB2)
> Has four TV tuner cards (internal Hauppauge 500MCE dual tuner, 2
> external
> Hauppauge PVR USB2)
> Runs Snapstream's BeyondTV to simultaneously record up to 4 concurrent
> shows.
> Oh, and is now my primary machine. Drives dual LCD panels from a
> nVidia PCI video card. In hindsight, I should have bout the 4600 for
> an AGP slot, but not bad for a 'cheap little machine' characterized in
> this newsgroup as useless.
>
> No point in the post. Just interesting.
>
> Tom

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 9:02:51 PM

In article <MyJLe.14348$Oy2.12649@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
tomtoo@softhome.net says...
> Just reconfigured my Dimension 2400 that I bought last year. It was a $349
> special. P4-2.8/533, 512MB. Nothing special.
>
> Now it is running Media Center Edition 2005.
> Has a total of 850GB storage (250GB internal, 600GB external USB2)
> Has four TV tuner cards (internal Hauppauge 500MCE dual tuner, 2 external
> Hauppauge PVR USB2)
> Runs Snapstream's BeyondTV to simultaneously record up to 4 concurrent
> shows.
>
> Oh, and is now my primary machine. Drives dual LCD panels from a nVidia PCI
> video card. In hindsight, I should have bout the 4600 for an AGP slot, but
> not bad for a 'cheap little machine' characterized in this newsgroup as
> useless.
>
> No point in the post. Just interesting.

For limited use, meaning no heavy duty applications, not using all there
is to use in Word, not using Photoshop, not designing code, not running
any form of database, and not trying to play online games, they are fine
machines, but, when you consider performance for cost, they are a bad
deal.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

> In article <MyJLe.14348$Oy2.12649@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
> tomtoo@softhome.net says...
>> Just reconfigured my Dimension 2400 that I bought last year. It was a
>> $349
>> special. P4-2.8/533, 512MB. Nothing special.
>>
>> Now it is running Media Center Edition 2005.
>> Has a total of 850GB storage (250GB internal, 600GB external USB2)
>> Has four TV tuner cards (internal Hauppauge 500MCE dual tuner, 2 external
>> Hauppauge PVR USB2)
>> Runs Snapstream's BeyondTV to simultaneously record up to 4 concurrent
>> shows.
>>
>> Oh, and is now my primary machine. Drives dual LCD panels from a nVidia
>> PCI
>> video card. In hindsight, I should have bout the 4600 for an AGP slot,
>> but
>> not bad for a 'cheap little machine' characterized in this newsgroup as
>> useless.
>>
>> No point in the post. Just interesting.
>
> For limited use, meaning no heavy duty applications, not using all there
> is to use in Word, not using Photoshop, not designing code, not running
> any form of database, and not trying to play online games, they are fine
> machines, but, when you consider performance for cost, they are a bad
> deal.

Really. Hmm. I use mine heavily for Photoshop CS2 with 12 megapixel Nikon
D2X images. Excellent performance. Oh, I also use it to run IIS with PHP
to develop my website and run it locally for testing. Oh, and four
simultaneous video captures.

I agree they're not perfect, but they're a GOOD deal for the cost. $349
shipped.
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 9:20:15 PM

> Really. Hmm. I use mine heavily for Photoshop CS2 with 12 megapixel
> Nikon D2X images. Excellent performance. Oh, I also use it to run IIS
> with PHP to develop my website and run it locally for testing.

Tom, shoot me an email regarding your IIS PHP setup. I'm interested in
playing around with this myself but between work and playing with camera's I
haven't had much free time to research it.

Thanks,
Rob
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 9:44:22 PM

Tom Scales wrote:
> Just reconfigured my Dimension 2400 that I bought last year. It was a $349
> special. P4-2.8/533, 512MB. Nothing special.
>
> Now it is running Media Center Edition 2005.
> Has a total of 850GB storage (250GB internal, 600GB external USB2)
> Has four TV tuner cards (internal Hauppauge 500MCE dual tuner, 2 external
> Hauppauge PVR USB2)
> Runs Snapstream's BeyondTV to simultaneously record up to 4 concurrent
> shows.
>
> Oh, and is now my primary machine. Drives dual LCD panels from a nVidia PCI
> video card. In hindsight, I should have bout the 4600 for an AGP slot, but
> not bad for a 'cheap little machine' characterized in this newsgroup as
> useless.
>
> No point in the post. Just interesting.
>
> Tom

There are tons of situations where a 2400 is more than adequate. It's
major down sides are having only 2 DIMM slots (I could be wrong) & no
PCI-X/AGP. If you don't plan on playing games, it's more than adequate
for most purposes.
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 10:56:04 PM

My sentiments exactly. Of course, the pair of DIMM sockets can always have
2x1GB in them, more than enough for most uses... Ben Myers

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:44:22 GMT, Nicholas Andrade <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Tom Scales wrote:
>> Just reconfigured my Dimension 2400 that I bought last year. It was a $349
>> special. P4-2.8/533, 512MB. Nothing special.
>>
>> Now it is running Media Center Edition 2005.
>> Has a total of 850GB storage (250GB internal, 600GB external USB2)
>> Has four TV tuner cards (internal Hauppauge 500MCE dual tuner, 2 external
>> Hauppauge PVR USB2)
>> Runs Snapstream's BeyondTV to simultaneously record up to 4 concurrent
>> shows.
>>
>> Oh, and is now my primary machine. Drives dual LCD panels from a nVidia PCI
>> video card. In hindsight, I should have bout the 4600 for an AGP slot, but
>> not bad for a 'cheap little machine' characterized in this newsgroup as
>> useless.
>>
>> No point in the post. Just interesting.
>>
>> Tom
>>

>There are tons of situations where a 2400 is more than adequate. It's
>major down sides are having only 2 DIMM slots (I could be wrong) & no
>PCI-X/AGP. If you don't plan on playing games, it's more than adequate
>for most purposes.
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 11:06:56 PM

Actually, I believe the 2400 is limited like the 4550 to 512MB DIMMs

> My sentiments exactly. Of course, the pair of DIMM sockets can always
> have
> 2x1GB in them, more than enough for most uses... Ben Myers
>
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:44:22 GMT, Nicholas Andrade
> <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Tom Scales wrote:
>>> Just reconfigured my Dimension 2400 that I bought last year. It was a
>>> $349
>>> special. P4-2.8/533, 512MB. Nothing special.
>>>
>>> Now it is running Media Center Edition 2005.
>>> Has a total of 850GB storage (250GB internal, 600GB external USB2)
>>> Has four TV tuner cards (internal Hauppauge 500MCE dual tuner, 2
>>> external
>>> Hauppauge PVR USB2)
>>> Runs Snapstream's BeyondTV to simultaneously record up to 4 concurrent
>>> shows.
>>>
>>> Oh, and is now my primary machine. Drives dual LCD panels from a nVidia
>>> PCI
>>> video card. In hindsight, I should have bout the 4600 for an AGP slot,
>>> but
>>> not bad for a 'cheap little machine' characterized in this newsgroup as
>>> useless.
>>>
>>> No point in the post. Just interesting.
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>

>>There are tons of situations where a 2400 is more than adequate. It's
>>major down sides are having only 2 DIMM slots (I could be wrong) & no
>>PCI-X/AGP. If you don't plan on playing games, it's more than adequate
>>for most purposes.

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 11:06:57 PM

www.Crucial.com states the Dim 2400 "Series" can handle up to 2GB (2048MB) of RAM. Don't know if the word "Series" has any meaning relating amount of memory that can be used. But for the type, that must be used depending on (Celeron or P4) Mother Board installed.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:kDMLe.23339$dJ5.15136@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
Actually, I believe the 2400 is limited like the 4550 to 512MB DIMMs

> My sentiments exactly. Of course, the pair of DIMM sockets can always
> have
> 2x1GB in them, more than enough for most uses... Ben Myers
>
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:44:22 GMT, Nicholas Andrade
> <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Tom Scales wrote:
>>> Just reconfigured my Dimension 2400 that I bought last year. It was a
>>> $349
>>> special. P4-2.8/533, 512MB. Nothing special.
>>>
>>> Now it is running Media Center Edition 2005.
>>> Has a total of 850GB storage (250GB internal, 600GB external USB2)
>>> Has four TV tuner cards (internal Hauppauge 500MCE dual tuner, 2
>>> external
>>> Hauppauge PVR USB2)
>>> Runs Snapstream's BeyondTV to simultaneously record up to 4 concurrent
>>> shows.
>>>
>>> Oh, and is now my primary machine. Drives dual LCD panels from a nVidia
>>> PCI
>>> video card. In hindsight, I should have bout the 4600 for an AGP slot,
>>> but
>>> not bad for a 'cheap little machine' characterized in this newsgroup as
>>> useless.
>>>
>>> No point in the post. Just interesting.
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>

>>There are tons of situations where a 2400 is more than adequate. It's
>>major down sides are having only 2 DIMM slots (I could be wrong) & no
>>PCI-X/AGP. If you don't plan on playing games, it's more than adequate
>>for most purposes.

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 1:39:50 AM

Well, I didn't know that. Putting $286 worth of memory in a $349 computer
seems a little silly :)

Tom
"RRR_News" <RRR_News@isp.com> wrote in message
news:p sWdnb5sM8J2AWLfRVn-pQ@comcast.com...
www.Crucial.com states the Dim 2400 "Series" can handle up to 2GB (2048MB)
of RAM. Don't know if the word "Series" has any meaning relating amount of
memory that can be used. But for the type, that must be used depending on
(Celeron or P4) Mother Board installed.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

Actually, I believe the 2400 is limited like the 4550 to 512MB DIMMs

> My sentiments exactly. Of course, the pair of DIMM sockets can always
> have
> 2x1GB in them, more than enough for most uses... Ben Myers
>
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:44:22 GMT, Nicholas Andrade
> <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Tom Scales wrote:
>>> Just reconfigured my Dimension 2400 that I bought last year. It was a
>>> $349
>>> special. P4-2.8/533, 512MB. Nothing special.
>>>
>>> Now it is running Media Center Edition 2005.
>>> Has a total of 850GB storage (250GB internal, 600GB external USB2)
>>> Has four TV tuner cards (internal Hauppauge 500MCE dual tuner, 2
>>> external
>>> Hauppauge PVR USB2)
>>> Runs Snapstream's BeyondTV to simultaneously record up to 4 concurrent
>>> shows.
>>>
>>> Oh, and is now my primary machine. Drives dual LCD panels from a nVidia
>>> PCI
>>> video card. In hindsight, I should have bout the 4600 for an AGP slot,
>>> but
>>> not bad for a 'cheap little machine' characterized in this newsgroup as
>>> useless.
>>>
>>> No point in the post. Just interesting.
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>

>>There are tons of situations where a 2400 is more than adequate. It's
>>major down sides are having only 2 DIMM slots (I could be wrong) & no
>>PCI-X/AGP. If you don't plan on playing games, it's more than adequate
>>for most purposes.

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 2:11:22 AM

Not too many people need 2GB of memory either. 1GB tops, should cover most any
use a normal person would make of a desktop computer... Ben Myers

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 21:39:50 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

>Well, I didn't know that. Putting $286 worth of memory in a $349 computer
>seems a little silly :)
>
>Tom
>"RRR_News" <RRR_News@isp.com> wrote in message
>news:p sWdnb5sM8J2AWLfRVn-pQ@comcast.com...
>www.Crucial.com states the Dim 2400 "Series" can handle up to 2GB (2048MB)
>of RAM. Don't know if the word "Series" has any meaning relating amount of
>memory that can be used. But for the type, that must be used depending on
>(Celeron or P4) Mother Board installed.
>
>--
>
>Rich/rerat
>
>(RRR News) <message rule>
><<Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate>>
>

>"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>Actually, I believe the 2400 is limited like the 4550 to 512MB DIMMs

>> My sentiments exactly. Of course, the pair of DIMM sockets can always
>> have
>> 2x1GB in them, more than enough for most uses... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:44:22 GMT, Nicholas Andrade
>> <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>>>There are tons of situations where a 2400 is more than adequate. It's
>>>major down sides are having only 2 DIMM slots (I could be wrong) & no
>>>PCI-X/AGP. If you don't plan on playing games, it's more than adequate
>>>for most purposes.

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 12:45:08 PM

Jeeze!!

This thread drives me NUTS!!

3 or 4 years ago a 2400 would have been the kick ass machine that many would
be touting as the second coming. Of course it can do more than simple web
surfing.and MS Office stuff. It can and does do video editing at a
respectable clip (especially by 4 year old standards); ripping CDs is
child's play. Games are better done on a dedicated PS2, or whatever.

Yes, it has limited expandability, but for the price it is quite good. FWIW
I have a 2350, 2400, 4550 and an Inspiron 9300. All are pretty damn
acceptable.

Mike

> In article <MyJLe.14348$Oy2.12649@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
> tomtoo@softhome.net says...
> > Just reconfigured my Dimension 2400 that I bought last year. It was a
$349
> > special. P4-2.8/533, 512MB. Nothing special.
> >
> > Now it is running Media Center Edition 2005.
> > Has a total of 850GB storage (250GB internal, 600GB external USB2)
> > Has four TV tuner cards (internal Hauppauge 500MCE dual tuner, 2
external
> > Hauppauge PVR USB2)
> > Runs Snapstream's BeyondTV to simultaneously record up to 4 concurrent
> > shows.
> >
> > Oh, and is now my primary machine. Drives dual LCD panels from a nVidia
PCI
> > video card. In hindsight, I should have bout the 4600 for an AGP slot,
but
> > not bad for a 'cheap little machine' characterized in this newsgroup as
> > useless.
> >
> > No point in the post. Just interesting.
>
> For limited use, meaning no heavy duty applications, not using all there
> is to use in Word, not using Photoshop, not designing code, not running
> any form of database, and not trying to play online games, they are fine
> machines, but, when you consider performance for cost, they are a bad
> deal.
>
> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 6:58:28 PM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, just like the Dove body cream ads
lately... Ben Myers

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 15:37:16 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

>Just reconfigured my Dimension 2400 that I bought last year. It was a $349
>special. P4-2.8/533, 512MB. Nothing special.
>
>Now it is running Media Center Edition 2005.
>Has a total of 850GB storage (250GB internal, 600GB external USB2)
>Has four TV tuner cards (internal Hauppauge 500MCE dual tuner, 2 external
>Hauppauge PVR USB2)
>Runs Snapstream's BeyondTV to simultaneously record up to 4 concurrent
>shows.
>
>Oh, and is now my primary machine. Drives dual LCD panels from a nVidia PCI
>video card. In hindsight, I should have bout the 4600 for an AGP slot, but
>not bad for a 'cheap little machine' characterized in this newsgroup as
>useless.
>
>No point in the post. Just interesting.
>
>Tom

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 7:11:07 PM

Ben Myers wrote:

> Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, just like the Dove body cream ads
> lately... Ben Myers

Speaking of which, this couldn't be more timely:

The New York Times
August 15, 2005
Fat Chance
By JESSICA SEIGEL

THE marketing campaign generating so much free publicity for a giant
cosmetics company shows real women, rather than anorectic teenagers, in
white bras and panties posing next to the slogan, "New Dove Firming. As
tested on real curves."

I personally love the images, but woe to Neanderthals like Richard
Roeper, a columnist for the Chicago Sun-Times, who derided the Dove gals
as "chunky," igniting apoplexy over how much of a male chauvinist pig he
is. With the ink flying, Mr. Roeper defended himself as just being
honest - something we never doubted.

If only Dove would also come clean about its firming lotions. The truth
is that anticellulite creams don't work.

That's why Dove, which is owned by Unilever, makes the campaign about
images, not facts. Perhaps that explains why the multinational company's
elaborate marketing includes a 48-page report on women's attitudes about
beauty, but not one sentence giving information about how its firming
ointments were "tested on real curves," reducing flesh dimpling in just
two weeks.

Despite my repeated requests, Dove declined to release testing data -
not surprising considering the pseudo-scientific babble driving this
more than $40 million market, according to figures from research firms
NPD Group and Information Resources.

Of course, snake oil isn't all bad. The Dove lotions largely contain
glycerin, an old-fashioned moisturizer that your grandmother might have
used. And studies show that women see improvement from fake creams with
no active ingredients - a visual placebo. Considering today's pressure
to be beautiful, women may need that.

But according to 27 years of medical literature recently reviewed in the
Journal of Cosmetic and Laser Therapy, scientific proof that creams make
a real, lasting difference does not exist. "There is no evidence to show
that any topical medications improve cellulite," says Dr. Mathew Avram,
the study's author and a Harvard Medical School faculty member.

Yet marketers and even some doctors promote the idea that lumpy flesh is
a shameful but treatable condition caused by aging and obesity. That is,
if you call puberty "aging," because that's when skin dimpling first
appears, likely connected to the release of female hormones. (For that
reason, oral contraceptives may worsen skin puckering, and males who
lose testosterone after prostate surgery may develop it.)

Cellulite is a concocted idea imported from France. Hardly a disease or
condition, it is how fat is arranged inside the female body, especially
on thighs, hips and rear. And it affects some 90 percent of adult women.
To change it, says Dr. Avram, you'd have to rejigger underlying body
architecture, which is why exercising and losing weight helps some. But
only some. "What you have here is normal female physiology," he says.
"Skinny women have it too."

While laws in the United States allow companies to hedge product claims
with phrases like "appearance of" or "look of," that doesn't fly in
Britain. This spring, the British advertising industry's self-financed
watchdog ruled that Estée Lauder's advertising for Body Performance
Anti-Cellulite Visible Contouring Serum misled consumers. The beauty
company's research, the agency found, failed to prove that its
"thermogenic complex" actually "melts away the fatty look of cellulite,"
reducing "the appearance of cellulite."

Why didn't the British accept the "appearance of" trick in a ruling
affecting the whole industry? "We believe," says Matthew Wilson, of the
British Advertising Standards Authority "the consumer might be confused."

Oh.

Though Estée Lauder executives insist their research is valid, the
company pulled the advertisement, sparking bad publicity and debate in
Britain over truth in advertising. Yet the scandal received little or no
coverage in the United States, though Estée Lauder has run nearly
identical advertisements here (in this paper, among others), sells the
cream here and continues to make even stronger claims about the
product's virtues on its Web site.

Instead, this summer the American media ran dozens of articles and
broadcasts debating the "look of" and "appearance of" the images in
Dove's campaign. Journalists, at least, should go beyond "appearances
of," even if the embattled, overburdened Food and Drug Administration
and the Federal Trade Commission can investigate only the most
egregious, dangerous frauds.

On the bright side, at least Dove's firming lotions are cheap, averaging
about $8 a bottle compared with $50 a bottle for Estée Lauder's cream.
It's nice when snake oil is reasonably priced. But if Dove truly wants
to "help women feel that beauty is within their reach," as its campaign
claims, the company should stick to soap, moisturizer and the truth: Any
woman worried about dimpled flesh while vamping on a giant billboard in
white bra and panties would benefit far more from a little chiffon wrap
than bogus lotions.

Jessica Seigel teaches journalism at New York University and comments on
culture for NPR's "Day to Day" program.

* Copyright 2005 The New York Times Company

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/15/opinion/15seigel.html...
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 7:44:44 PM

In article <4300ad73.5136574@nntp.charter.net>, ben_myers_spam_me_not @
charter.net (Ben Myers) says...
> Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, just like the Dove body cream ads
> lately... Ben Myers

That's quite true - and I would expect that anyone that has worked with
a PC to see the 2400 for what it is and how poor the performance is.
I've never run into a single 2400 owner/user that was happy with it
after they had owned it for a couple months. Even my mother inlaw, who
doesn't do more than surfing, word, QuickBooks, and some POGO games,
finds hers to be very slow.

I just hate seeing people waste money when there are better viable
solutions out there - and there is no real indication of the performance
issue on Dell's site, so many people get a substandard machine and have
to buy another one in a year.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 9:05:37 PM

> In article <4300ad73.5136574@nntp.charter.net>, ben_myers_spam_me_not @
> charter.net (Ben Myers) says...
>> Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, just like the Dove body cream ads
>> lately... Ben Myers
>
> That's quite true - and I would expect that anyone that has worked with
> a PC to see the 2400 for what it is and how poor the performance is.
> I've never run into a single 2400 owner/user that was happy with it
> after they had owned it for a couple months. Even my mother inlaw, who
> doesn't do more than surfing, word, QuickBooks, and some POGO games,
> finds hers to be very slow.
>
> I just hate seeing people waste money when there are better viable
> solutions out there - and there is no real indication of the performance
> issue on Dell's site, so many people get a substandard machine and have
> to buy another one in a year.

Well, since I STARTED this thread by stating I am pleased with my 2400, then
that statement is ridiculous. How can you make that claim in this thread?
Of course people like their 2400 and are happy with it.

Jeez.
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 9:05:38 PM

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
>> In article <4300ad73.5136574@nntp.charter.net>, ben_myers_spam_me_not @
>> charter.net (Ben Myers) says...
>>> Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, just like the Dove body cream ads
>>> lately... Ben Myers
>>
>> That's quite true - and I would expect that anyone that has worked with
>> a PC to see the 2400 for what it is and how poor the performance is.
>> I've never run into a single 2400 owner/user that was happy with it
>> after they had owned it for a couple months. Even my mother inlaw, who
>> doesn't do more than surfing, word, QuickBooks, and some POGO games,
>> finds hers to be very slow.
>>
>> I just hate seeing people waste money when there are better viable
>> solutions out there - and there is no real indication of the performance
>> issue on Dell's site, so many people get a substandard machine and have
>> to buy another one in a year.
>>

> Well, since I STARTED this thread by stating I am pleased with my 2400,
> then that statement is ridiculous. How can you make that claim in this
> thread? Of course people like their 2400 and are happy with it.
>
> Jeez.

Tom,

You asked for this thread and you *knew* what the response would be. heh
heh.

I only wished to point this out before I return to my "no comment" position
on the thread and your original post.

Fire extinguisher, anyone?

Stew
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 11:53:36 PM

In article <yD4Me.16797$Yx1.8781@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
tomtoo@softhome.net says...
[snip]
> I guess you didn't understand my statement.
>
> You said: "I've never run into a single 2400 owner/user that was happy with
> it after they had owned it for a couple months.". This is an irrational
> statement in this thread.

Ah, I do understand, but we've never met and not run into each other. I
don't know you from anyone else in this thread or your motivations.

So, I'm comfortable saying it - still never run into anyone.....

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 12:01:20 AM

> In article <yD4Me.16797$Yx1.8781@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
> tomtoo@softhome.net says...
> [snip]
>> I guess you didn't understand my statement.
>>
>> You said: "I've never run into a single 2400 owner/user that was happy
>> with
>> it after they had owned it for a couple months.". This is an irrational
>> statement in this thread.
>
> Ah, I do understand, but we've never met and not run into each other. I
> don't know you from anyone else in this thread or your motivations.
>
> So, I'm comfortable saying it - still never run into anyone.....

Ah, you're related to Bill Clinton!
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 12:03:39 AM

In article <4300dcc0.8414508@nntp.charter.net>, ben_myers_spam_me_not @
charter.net (Ben Myers) says...
> I've resold at least a half dozen Dimension 2400s to various people who have not
> expressed any ill will towards their machines. All are outfitted with 512MB
> (not Dell's skimpy 256MB) and they are used for fairly routine tasks.

I should say, for the record, that I'm sure there are people that are
very happy with the selection and performance from their Dimension 2400,
but, it's not about being happy, it's about cost/performance/benefit -
at least that's all it's about to me.

> Of course, none of my clients has had Leythos' wide exposure to all sorts of
> makes and models of computers. It seems that Laythos' heartburn is with HIS
> client for an ill-chosen decision to buy Dimension 2400's without considering
> the workload the computers would be running, or maybe buying a sample of one to
> test before buying more.

Yes, almost got it - the issue was that a tech company spec'd these out
based on vendors recommendations for minimal systems to run applications
- as any good tech knows, the minimum are worthless in the real world
and should be doubled in most cases.

I've seen about 40 other 2400 systems installed in a variety of
locations, homes, small offices, plants, etc... None of the people using
them are happy with the performance and want to upgrade them, but, as I
found out the hard way, they use the older version of the P4 and don't
support any of the new P4's in the same speed range. I would have been
happy if I could have just dropped in a P4/2.8 and had it work, but they
don't take the 1m and 2m cache CPU's that are on the market at this
time.

Another frustration is that the same ASUS board we spec'd for the white
box units will use the old P4 from the Dell 2400 and the newer P4 with
1m/2m caches just fine.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 12:28:44 AM

In article <kw6Me.16289$Oy2.12774@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
tomtoo@softhome.net says...

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
> > In article <yD4Me.16797$Yx1.8781@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
> > tomtoo@softhome.net says...
> > [snip]
> >> I guess you didn't understand my statement.
> >>
> >> You said: "I've never run into a single 2400 owner/user that was happy
> >> with
> >> it after they had owned it for a couple months.". This is an irrational
> >> statement in this thread.
> >
> > Ah, I do understand, but we've never met and not run into each other. I
> > don't know you from anyone else in this thread or your motivations.
> >
> > So, I'm comfortable saying it - still never run into anyone.....
> >

> Ah, you're related to Bill Clinton!

Nope, he was one of the main reasons I didn't re-enlist.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 6:43:44 PM

In article <x8GdnXEg9Mx5HWLfRVn-rg@giganews.com>, rrkircher@hotmail.com
says...

> > Really. Hmm. I use mine heavily for Photoshop CS2 with 12 megapixel
> > Nikon D2X images. Excellent performance. Oh, I also use it to run IIS
> > with PHP to develop my website and run it locally for testing.
>

> Tom, shoot me an email regarding your IIS PHP setup. I'm interested in
> playing around with this myself but between work and playing with camera's I
> haven't had much free time to research it.

PHP and IIS is easy to setup, there are a zillion documents on it that
can be pulled by GOOGLE - the main thing to remember is to add the DLL
to the ISAPI and to properly set the permissions on the PHP files for
the IIS User account.

Just remember, with XP, you are limited to one root site in IIS.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 8:58:02 PM

> In article <x8GdnXEg9Mx5HWLfRVn-rg@giganews.com>, rrkircher@hotmail.com
> says...
>>

>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>> >

>> > Really. Hmm. I use mine heavily for Photoshop CS2 with 12 megapixel
>> > Nikon D2X images. Excellent performance. Oh, I also use it to run
>> > IIS
>> > with PHP to develop my website and run it locally for testing.
>>

>> Tom, shoot me an email regarding your IIS PHP setup. I'm interested in
>> playing around with this myself but between work and playing with
>> camera's I
>> haven't had much free time to research it.
>
> PHP and IIS is easy to setup, there are a zillion documents on it that
> can be pulled by GOOGLE - the main thing to remember is to add the DLL
> to the ISAPI and to properly set the permissions on the PHP files for
> the IIS User account.
>
> Just remember, with XP, you are limited to one root site in IIS.
>
> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

What do you mean add the DLL to the ISAPI. I didn't have to do anything.
The install configured itself.

Tom
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 9:06:03 PM

In article <uWoMe.19427$Yx1.79@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
tomtoo@softhome.net says...

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
> > In article <x8GdnXEg9Mx5HWLfRVn-rg@giganews.com>, rrkircher@hotmail.com
> > says...
> >>

> >> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message

> >> Tom, shoot me an email regarding your IIS PHP setup. I'm interested in
> >> playing around with this myself but between work and playing with
> >> camera's I
> >> haven't had much free time to research it.
> >
> > PHP and IIS is easy to setup, there are a zillion documents on it that
> > can be pulled by GOOGLE - the main thing to remember is to add the DLL
> > to the ISAPI and to properly set the permissions on the PHP files for
> > the IIS User account.
> >
> > Just remember, with XP, you are limited to one root site in IIS.
> >

> What do you mean add the DLL to the ISAPI. I didn't have to do anything.
> The install configured itself.

Not all installs (and there are a few) properly complete. Sometimes you
have to manually add the ISAPI DLL for it to work. I've got it running
on about 8 servers, Windows 2000 and 2003 servers and one Windows XP
workstation, and we've had to do it manually many times.

I noticed that your news-reader is not clipping the sig of posts when
you reply MS Outlook Express has a fix for that.

--

!