So a Dimension 2400 is worthless, huh....

Just reconfigured my Dimension 2400 that I bought last year. It was a $349
special. P4-2.8/533, 512MB. Nothing special.

Now it is running Media Center Edition 2005.
Has a total of 850GB storage (250GB internal, 600GB external USB2)
Has four TV tuner cards (internal Hauppauge 500MCE dual tuner, 2 external
Hauppauge PVR USB2)
Runs Snapstream's BeyondTV to simultaneously record up to 4 concurrent
shows.

Oh, and is now my primary machine. Drives dual LCD panels from a nVidia PCI
video card. In hindsight, I should have bout the 4600 for an AGP slot, but
not bad for a 'cheap little machine' characterized in this newsgroup as
useless.

No point in the post. Just interesting.

Tom
23 answers Last reply
More about dimension 2400 worthless

    Tom,

    Very good point that it's not useless. I don't know if I would be running
    one the way that you are, however I do know that they're still very cool
    hardware :-)

    -gg-

    In article <MyJLe.14348$Oy2.12649@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
    tomtoo@softhome.net says...
    > Just reconfigured my Dimension 2400 that I bought last year. It was a $349
    > special. P4-2.8/533, 512MB. Nothing special.
    >
    > Now it is running Media Center Edition 2005.
    > Has a total of 850GB storage (250GB internal, 600GB external USB2)
    > Has four TV tuner cards (internal Hauppauge 500MCE dual tuner, 2 external
    > Hauppauge PVR USB2)
    > Runs Snapstream's BeyondTV to simultaneously record up to 4 concurrent
    > shows.
    >
    > Oh, and is now my primary machine. Drives dual LCD panels from a nVidia PCI
    > video card. In hindsight, I should have bout the 4600 for an AGP slot, but
    > not bad for a 'cheap little machine' characterized in this newsgroup as
    > useless.
    >
    > No point in the post. Just interesting.

    For limited use, meaning no heavy duty applications, not using all there
    is to use in Word, not using Photoshop, not designing code, not running
    any form of database, and not trying to play online games, they are fine
    machines, but, when you consider performance for cost, they are a bad
    deal.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    > In article <MyJLe.14348$Oy2.12649@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
    > tomtoo@softhome.net says...
    >> Just reconfigured my Dimension 2400 that I bought last year. It was a
    >> $349
    >> special. P4-2.8/533, 512MB. Nothing special.
    >>
    >> Now it is running Media Center Edition 2005.
    >> Has a total of 850GB storage (250GB internal, 600GB external USB2)
    >> Has four TV tuner cards (internal Hauppauge 500MCE dual tuner, 2 external
    >> Hauppauge PVR USB2)
    >> Runs Snapstream's BeyondTV to simultaneously record up to 4 concurrent
    >> shows.
    >>
    >> Oh, and is now my primary machine. Drives dual LCD panels from a nVidia
    >> PCI
    >> video card. In hindsight, I should have bout the 4600 for an AGP slot,
    >> but
    >> not bad for a 'cheap little machine' characterized in this newsgroup as
    >> useless.
    >>
    >> No point in the post. Just interesting.
    >
    > For limited use, meaning no heavy duty applications, not using all there
    > is to use in Word, not using Photoshop, not designing code, not running
    > any form of database, and not trying to play online games, they are fine
    > machines, but, when you consider performance for cost, they are a bad
    > deal.

    Really. Hmm. I use mine heavily for Photoshop CS2 with 12 megapixel Nikon
    D2X images. Excellent performance. Oh, I also use it to run IIS with PHP
    to develop my website and run it locally for testing. Oh, and four
    simultaneous video captures.

    I agree they're not perfect, but they're a GOOD deal for the cost. $349
    shipped.

    > Really. Hmm. I use mine heavily for Photoshop CS2 with 12 megapixel
    > Nikon D2X images. Excellent performance. Oh, I also use it to run IIS
    > with PHP to develop my website and run it locally for testing.

    Tom, shoot me an email regarding your IIS PHP setup. I'm interested in
    playing around with this myself but between work and playing with camera's I
    haven't had much free time to research it.

    Thanks,
    Rob

    Tom Scales wrote:
    > Just reconfigured my Dimension 2400 that I bought last year. It was a $349
    > special. P4-2.8/533, 512MB. Nothing special.
    >
    > Now it is running Media Center Edition 2005.
    > Has a total of 850GB storage (250GB internal, 600GB external USB2)
    > Has four TV tuner cards (internal Hauppauge 500MCE dual tuner, 2 external
    > Hauppauge PVR USB2)
    > Runs Snapstream's BeyondTV to simultaneously record up to 4 concurrent
    > shows.
    >
    > Oh, and is now my primary machine. Drives dual LCD panels from a nVidia PCI
    > video card. In hindsight, I should have bout the 4600 for an AGP slot, but
    > not bad for a 'cheap little machine' characterized in this newsgroup as
    > useless.
    >
    > No point in the post. Just interesting.
    >
    > Tom

    There are tons of situations where a 2400 is more than adequate. It's
    major down sides are having only 2 DIMM slots (I could be wrong) & no
    PCI-X/AGP. If you don't plan on playing games, it's more than adequate
    for most purposes.

    My sentiments exactly. Of course, the pair of DIMM sockets can always have
    2x1GB in them, more than enough for most uses... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:44:22 GMT, Nicholas Andrade <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Tom Scales wrote:
    >> Just reconfigured my Dimension 2400 that I bought last year. It was a $349
    >> special. P4-2.8/533, 512MB. Nothing special.
    >>
    >> Now it is running Media Center Edition 2005.
    >> Has a total of 850GB storage (250GB internal, 600GB external USB2)
    >> Has four TV tuner cards (internal Hauppauge 500MCE dual tuner, 2 external
    >> Hauppauge PVR USB2)
    >> Runs Snapstream's BeyondTV to simultaneously record up to 4 concurrent
    >> shows.
    >>
    >> Oh, and is now my primary machine. Drives dual LCD panels from a nVidia PCI
    >> video card. In hindsight, I should have bout the 4600 for an AGP slot, but
    >> not bad for a 'cheap little machine' characterized in this newsgroup as
    >> useless.
    >>
    >> No point in the post. Just interesting.
    >>
    >> Tom
    >>

    >There are tons of situations where a 2400 is more than adequate. It's
    >major down sides are having only 2 DIMM slots (I could be wrong) & no
    >PCI-X/AGP. If you don't plan on playing games, it's more than adequate
    >for most purposes.

    Actually, I believe the 2400 is limited like the 4550 to 512MB DIMMs

    www.Crucial.com states the Dim 2400 "Series" can handle up to 2GB (2048MB) of RAM. Don't know if the word "Series" has any meaning relating amount of memory that can be used. But for the type, that must be used depending on (Celeron or P4) Mother Board installed.

    --

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:kDMLe.23339$dJ5.15136@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
    Actually, I believe the 2400 is limited like the 4550 to 512MB DIMMs

    > My sentiments exactly. Of course, the pair of DIMM sockets can always
    > have
    > 2x1GB in them, more than enough for most uses... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:44:22 GMT, Nicholas Andrade
    > <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Tom Scales wrote:
    >>> Just reconfigured my Dimension 2400 that I bought last year. It was a
    >>> $349
    >>> special. P4-2.8/533, 512MB. Nothing special.
    >>>
    >>> Now it is running Media Center Edition 2005.
    >>> Has a total of 850GB storage (250GB internal, 600GB external USB2)
    >>> Has four TV tuner cards (internal Hauppauge 500MCE dual tuner, 2
    >>> external
    >>> Hauppauge PVR USB2)
    >>> Runs Snapstream's BeyondTV to simultaneously record up to 4 concurrent
    >>> shows.
    >>>
    >>> Oh, and is now my primary machine. Drives dual LCD panels from a nVidia
    >>> PCI
    >>> video card. In hindsight, I should have bout the 4600 for an AGP slot,
    >>> but
    >>> not bad for a 'cheap little machine' characterized in this newsgroup as
    >>> useless.
    >>>
    >>> No point in the post. Just interesting.
    >>>
    >>> Tom
    >>>

    >>There are tons of situations where a 2400 is more than adequate. It's
    >>major down sides are having only 2 DIMM slots (I could be wrong) & no
    >>PCI-X/AGP. If you don't plan on playing games, it's more than adequate
    >>for most purposes.

    Well, I didn't know that. Putting $286 worth of memory in a $349 computer
    seems a little silly :)

    Tom
    "RRR_News" <RRR_News@isp.com> wrote in message
    www.Crucial.com states the Dim 2400 "Series" can handle up to 2GB (2048MB)
    of RAM. Don't know if the word "Series" has any meaning relating amount of
    memory that can be used. But for the type, that must be used depending on
    (Celeron or P4) Mother Board installed.

    --

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    Actually, I believe the 2400 is limited like the 4550 to 512MB DIMMs

    > My sentiments exactly. Of course, the pair of DIMM sockets can always
    > have
    > 2x1GB in them, more than enough for most uses... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:44:22 GMT, Nicholas Andrade
    > <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Tom Scales wrote:
    >>> Just reconfigured my Dimension 2400 that I bought last year. It was a
    >>> $349
    >>> special. P4-2.8/533, 512MB. Nothing special.
    >>>
    >>> Now it is running Media Center Edition 2005.
    >>> Has a total of 850GB storage (250GB internal, 600GB external USB2)
    >>> Has four TV tuner cards (internal Hauppauge 500MCE dual tuner, 2
    >>> external
    >>> Hauppauge PVR USB2)
    >>> Runs Snapstream's BeyondTV to simultaneously record up to 4 concurrent
    >>> shows.
    >>>
    >>> Oh, and is now my primary machine. Drives dual LCD panels from a nVidia
    >>> PCI
    >>> video card. In hindsight, I should have bout the 4600 for an AGP slot,
    >>> but
    >>> not bad for a 'cheap little machine' characterized in this newsgroup as
    >>> useless.
    >>>
    >>> No point in the post. Just interesting.
    >>>
    >>> Tom
    >>>

    >>There are tons of situations where a 2400 is more than adequate. It's
    >>major down sides are having only 2 DIMM slots (I could be wrong) & no
    >>PCI-X/AGP. If you don't plan on playing games, it's more than adequate
    >>for most purposes.

    Not too many people need 2GB of memory either. 1GB tops, should cover most any
    use a normal person would make of a desktop computer... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 21:39:50 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

    >Well, I didn't know that. Putting $286 worth of memory in a $349 computer
    >seems a little silly :)
    >
    >Tom
    >"RRR_News" <RRR_News@isp.com> wrote in message
    >www.Crucial.com states the Dim 2400 "Series" can handle up to 2GB (2048MB)
    >of RAM. Don't know if the word "Series" has any meaning relating amount of
    >memory that can be used. But for the type, that must be used depending on
    >(Celeron or P4) Mother Board installed.
    >
    >--
    >
    >Rich/rerat
    >
    >(RRR News) <message rule>
    ><<Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate>>
    >

    >"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    >Actually, I believe the 2400 is limited like the 4550 to 512MB DIMMs

    >> My sentiments exactly. Of course, the pair of DIMM sockets can always
    >> have
    >> 2x1GB in them, more than enough for most uses... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:44:22 GMT, Nicholas Andrade
    >> <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com>
    >> wrote:

    >>>There are tons of situations where a 2400 is more than adequate. It's
    >>>major down sides are having only 2 DIMM slots (I could be wrong) & no
    >>>PCI-X/AGP. If you don't plan on playing games, it's more than adequate
    >>>for most purposes.

    Jeeze!!

    This thread drives me NUTS!!

    3 or 4 years ago a 2400 would have been the kick ass machine that many would
    be touting as the second coming. Of course it can do more than simple web
    surfing.and MS Office stuff. It can and does do video editing at a
    respectable clip (especially by 4 year old standards); ripping CDs is
    child's play. Games are better done on a dedicated PS2, or whatever.

    Yes, it has limited expandability, but for the price it is quite good. FWIW
    I have a 2350, 2400, 4550 and an Inspiron 9300. All are pretty damn
    acceptable.

    Mike

    > In article <MyJLe.14348$Oy2.12649@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
    > tomtoo@softhome.net says...
    > > Just reconfigured my Dimension 2400 that I bought last year. It was a
    $349
    > > special. P4-2.8/533, 512MB. Nothing special.
    > >
    > > Now it is running Media Center Edition 2005.
    > > Has a total of 850GB storage (250GB internal, 600GB external USB2)
    > > Has four TV tuner cards (internal Hauppauge 500MCE dual tuner, 2
    external
    > > Hauppauge PVR USB2)
    > > Runs Snapstream's BeyondTV to simultaneously record up to 4 concurrent
    > > shows.
    > >
    > > Oh, and is now my primary machine. Drives dual LCD panels from a nVidia
    PCI
    > > video card. In hindsight, I should have bout the 4600 for an AGP slot,
    but
    > > not bad for a 'cheap little machine' characterized in this newsgroup as
    > > useless.
    > >
    > > No point in the post. Just interesting.
    >
    > For limited use, meaning no heavy duty applications, not using all there
    > is to use in Word, not using Photoshop, not designing code, not running
    > any form of database, and not trying to play online games, they are fine
    > machines, but, when you consider performance for cost, they are a bad
    > deal.
    >
    > --
    >
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me

    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, just like the Dove body cream ads
    lately... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers wrote:

    > Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, just like the Dove body cream ads
    > lately... Ben Myers

    Speaking of which, this couldn't be more timely:

    The New York Times
    August 15, 2005
    Fat Chance
    By JESSICA SEIGEL

    THE marketing campaign generating so much free publicity for a giant
    cosmetics company shows real women, rather than anorectic teenagers, in
    white bras and panties posing next to the slogan, "New Dove Firming. As
    tested on real curves."

    I personally love the images, but woe to Neanderthals like Richard
    Roeper, a columnist for the Chicago Sun-Times, who derided the Dove gals
    as "chunky," igniting apoplexy over how much of a male chauvinist pig he
    is. With the ink flying, Mr. Roeper defended himself as just being
    honest - something we never doubted.

    If only Dove would also come clean about its firming lotions. The truth
    is that anticellulite creams don't work.

    That's why Dove, which is owned by Unilever, makes the campaign about
    images, not facts. Perhaps that explains why the multinational company's
    elaborate marketing includes a 48-page report on women's attitudes about
    beauty, but not one sentence giving information about how its firming
    ointments were "tested on real curves," reducing flesh dimpling in just
    two weeks.

    Despite my repeated requests, Dove declined to release testing data -
    not surprising considering the pseudo-scientific babble driving this
    more than $40 million market, according to figures from research firms
    NPD Group and Information Resources.

    Of course, snake oil isn't all bad. The Dove lotions largely contain
    glycerin, an old-fashioned moisturizer that your grandmother might have
    used. And studies show that women see improvement from fake creams with
    no active ingredients - a visual placebo. Considering today's pressure
    to be beautiful, women may need that.

    But according to 27 years of medical literature recently reviewed in the
    Journal of Cosmetic and Laser Therapy, scientific proof that creams make
    a real, lasting difference does not exist. "There is no evidence to show
    that any topical medications improve cellulite," says Dr. Mathew Avram,
    the study's author and a Harvard Medical School faculty member.

    Yet marketers and even some doctors promote the idea that lumpy flesh is
    a shameful but treatable condition caused by aging and obesity. That is,
    if you call puberty "aging," because that's when skin dimpling first
    appears, likely connected to the release of female hormones. (For that
    reason, oral contraceptives may worsen skin puckering, and males who
    lose testosterone after prostate surgery may develop it.)

    Cellulite is a concocted idea imported from France. Hardly a disease or
    condition, it is how fat is arranged inside the female body, especially
    on thighs, hips and rear. And it affects some 90 percent of adult women.
    To change it, says Dr. Avram, you'd have to rejigger underlying body
    architecture, which is why exercising and losing weight helps some. But
    only some. "What you have here is normal female physiology," he says.
    "Skinny women have it too."

    While laws in the United States allow companies to hedge product claims
    with phrases like "appearance of" or "look of," that doesn't fly in
    Britain. This spring, the British advertising industry's self-financed
    watchdog ruled that Estée Lauder's advertising for Body Performance
    Anti-Cellulite Visible Contouring Serum misled consumers. The beauty
    company's research, the agency found, failed to prove that its
    "thermogenic complex" actually "melts away the fatty look of cellulite,"
    reducing "the appearance of cellulite."

    Why didn't the British accept the "appearance of" trick in a ruling
    affecting the whole industry? "We believe," says Matthew Wilson, of the
    British Advertising Standards Authority "the consumer might be confused."

    Oh.

    Though Estée Lauder executives insist their research is valid, the
    company pulled the advertisement, sparking bad publicity and debate in
    Britain over truth in advertising. Yet the scandal received little or no
    coverage in the United States, though Estée Lauder has run nearly
    identical advertisements here (in this paper, among others), sells the
    cream here and continues to make even stronger claims about the
    product's virtues on its Web site.

    Instead, this summer the American media ran dozens of articles and
    broadcasts debating the "look of" and "appearance of" the images in
    Dove's campaign. Journalists, at least, should go beyond "appearances
    of," even if the embattled, overburdened Food and Drug Administration
    and the Federal Trade Commission can investigate only the most
    egregious, dangerous frauds.

    On the bright side, at least Dove's firming lotions are cheap, averaging
    about $8 a bottle compared with $50 a bottle for Estée Lauder's cream.
    It's nice when snake oil is reasonably priced. But if Dove truly wants
    to "help women feel that beauty is within their reach," as its campaign
    claims, the company should stick to soap, moisturizer and the truth: Any
    woman worried about dimpled flesh while vamping on a giant billboard in
    white bra and panties would benefit far more from a little chiffon wrap
    than bogus lotions.

    Jessica Seigel teaches journalism at New York University and comments on
    culture for NPR's "Day to Day" program.

    * Copyright 2005 The New York Times Company

    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/15/opinion/15seigel.html?oref=login

    In article <4300ad73.5136574@nntp.charter.net>, ben_myers_spam_me_not @
    charter.net (Ben Myers) says...
    > Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, just like the Dove body cream ads
    > lately... Ben Myers

    That's quite true - and I would expect that anyone that has worked with
    a PC to see the 2400 for what it is and how poor the performance is.
    I've never run into a single 2400 owner/user that was happy with it
    after they had owned it for a couple months. Even my mother inlaw, who
    doesn't do more than surfing, word, QuickBooks, and some POGO games,
    finds hers to be very slow.

    I just hate seeing people waste money when there are better viable
    solutions out there - and there is no real indication of the performance
    issue on Dell's site, so many people get a substandard machine and have
    to buy another one in a year.

    --

    > In article <4300ad73.5136574@nntp.charter.net>, ben_myers_spam_me_not @
    > charter.net (Ben Myers) says...
    >> Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, just like the Dove body cream ads
    >> lately... Ben Myers
    >
    > That's quite true - and I would expect that anyone that has worked with
    > a PC to see the 2400 for what it is and how poor the performance is.
    > I've never run into a single 2400 owner/user that was happy with it
    > after they had owned it for a couple months. Even my mother inlaw, who
    > doesn't do more than surfing, word, QuickBooks, and some POGO games,
    > finds hers to be very slow.
    >
    > I just hate seeing people waste money when there are better viable
    > solutions out there - and there is no real indication of the performance
    > issue on Dell's site, so many people get a substandard machine and have
    > to buy another one in a year.

    Well, since I STARTED this thread by stating I am pleased with my 2400, then
    that statement is ridiculous. How can you make that claim in this thread?
    Of course people like their 2400 and are happy with it.

    Jeez.

    > "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
    >> In article <4300ad73.5136574@nntp.charter.net>, ben_myers_spam_me_not @
    >> charter.net (Ben Myers) says...
    >>> Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, just like the Dove body cream ads
    >>> lately... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> That's quite true - and I would expect that anyone that has worked with
    >> a PC to see the 2400 for what it is and how poor the performance is.
    >> I've never run into a single 2400 owner/user that was happy with it
    >> after they had owned it for a couple months. Even my mother inlaw, who
    >> doesn't do more than surfing, word, QuickBooks, and some POGO games,
    >> finds hers to be very slow.
    >>
    >> I just hate seeing people waste money when there are better viable
    >> solutions out there - and there is no real indication of the performance
    >> issue on Dell's site, so many people get a substandard machine and have
    >> to buy another one in a year.
    >>

    > Well, since I STARTED this thread by stating I am pleased with my 2400,
    > then that statement is ridiculous. How can you make that claim in this
    > thread? Of course people like their 2400 and are happy with it.
    >
    > Jeez.

    Tom,

    You asked for this thread and you *knew* what the response would be. heh
    heh.

    I only wished to point this out before I return to my "no comment" position
    on the thread and your original post.

    Fire extinguisher, anyone?

    Stew

    In article <yD4Me.16797$Yx1.8781@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
    tomtoo@softhome.net says...
    [snip]
    > I guess you didn't understand my statement.
    >
    > You said: "I've never run into a single 2400 owner/user that was happy with
    > it after they had owned it for a couple months.". This is an irrational
    > statement in this thread.

    Ah, I do understand, but we've never met and not run into each other. I
    don't know you from anyone else in this thread or your motivations.

    So, I'm comfortable saying it - still never run into anyone.....

    --

    > In article <yD4Me.16797$Yx1.8781@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
    > tomtoo@softhome.net says...
    > [snip]
    >> I guess you didn't understand my statement.
    >>
    >> You said: "I've never run into a single 2400 owner/user that was happy
    >> with
    >> it after they had owned it for a couple months.". This is an irrational
    >> statement in this thread.
    >
    > Ah, I do understand, but we've never met and not run into each other. I
    > don't know you from anyone else in this thread or your motivations.
    >
    > So, I'm comfortable saying it - still never run into anyone.....

    Ah, you're related to Bill Clinton!

    In article <4300dcc0.8414508@nntp.charter.net>, ben_myers_spam_me_not @
    charter.net (Ben Myers) says...
    > I've resold at least a half dozen Dimension 2400s to various people who have not
    > expressed any ill will towards their machines. All are outfitted with 512MB
    > (not Dell's skimpy 256MB) and they are used for fairly routine tasks.

    I should say, for the record, that I'm sure there are people that are
    very happy with the selection and performance from their Dimension 2400,
    but, it's not about being happy, it's about cost/performance/benefit -
    at least that's all it's about to me.

    > Of course, none of my clients has had Leythos' wide exposure to all sorts of
    > makes and models of computers. It seems that Laythos' heartburn is with HIS
    > client for an ill-chosen decision to buy Dimension 2400's without considering
    > the workload the computers would be running, or maybe buying a sample of one to
    > test before buying more.

    Yes, almost got it - the issue was that a tech company spec'd these out
    based on vendors recommendations for minimal systems to run applications
    - as any good tech knows, the minimum are worthless in the real world
    and should be doubled in most cases.

    I've seen about 40 other 2400 systems installed in a variety of
    locations, homes, small offices, plants, etc... None of the people using
    them are happy with the performance and want to upgrade them, but, as I
    found out the hard way, they use the older version of the P4 and don't
    support any of the new P4's in the same speed range. I would have been
    happy if I could have just dropped in a P4/2.8 and had it work, but they
    don't take the 1m and 2m cache CPU's that are on the market at this
    time.

    Another frustration is that the same ASUS board we spec'd for the white
    box units will use the old P4 from the Dell 2400 and the newer P4 with
    1m/2m caches just fine.

    --

    In article <kw6Me.16289$Oy2.12774@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
    tomtoo@softhome.net says...

    > "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
    > > In article <yD4Me.16797$Yx1.8781@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
    > > tomtoo@softhome.net says...
    > > [snip]
    > >> I guess you didn't understand my statement.
    > >>
    > >> You said: "I've never run into a single 2400 owner/user that was happy
    > >> with
    > >> it after they had owned it for a couple months.". This is an irrational
    > >> statement in this thread.
    > >
    > > Ah, I do understand, but we've never met and not run into each other. I
    > > don't know you from anyone else in this thread or your motivations.
    > >
    > > So, I'm comfortable saying it - still never run into anyone.....
    > >

    > Ah, you're related to Bill Clinton!

    Nope, he was one of the main reasons I didn't re-enlist.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    In article <x8GdnXEg9Mx5HWLfRVn-rg@giganews.com>, rrkircher@hotmail.com
    says...

    > > Really. Hmm. I use mine heavily for Photoshop CS2 with 12 megapixel
    > > Nikon D2X images. Excellent performance. Oh, I also use it to run IIS
    > > with PHP to develop my website and run it locally for testing.
    >

    > Tom, shoot me an email regarding your IIS PHP setup. I'm interested in
    > playing around with this myself but between work and playing with camera's I
    > haven't had much free time to research it.

    PHP and IIS is easy to setup, there are a zillion documents on it that
    can be pulled by GOOGLE - the main thing to remember is to add the DLL
    to the ISAPI and to properly set the permissions on the PHP files for
    the IIS User account.

    Just remember, with XP, you are limited to one root site in IIS.

    --

    > In article <x8GdnXEg9Mx5HWLfRVn-rg@giganews.com>, rrkircher@hotmail.com
    > says...
    >>

    >> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    >> >

    >> > Really. Hmm. I use mine heavily for Photoshop CS2 with 12 megapixel
    >> > Nikon D2X images. Excellent performance. Oh, I also use it to run
    >> > IIS
    >> > with PHP to develop my website and run it locally for testing.
    >>

    >> Tom, shoot me an email regarding your IIS PHP setup. I'm interested in
    >> playing around with this myself but between work and playing with
    >> camera's I
    >> haven't had much free time to research it.
    >
    > PHP and IIS is easy to setup, there are a zillion documents on it that
    > can be pulled by GOOGLE - the main thing to remember is to add the DLL
    > to the ISAPI and to properly set the permissions on the PHP files for
    > the IIS User account.
    >
    > Just remember, with XP, you are limited to one root site in IIS.
    >
    > --
    >
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me

    What do you mean add the DLL to the ISAPI. I didn't have to do anything.
    The install configured itself.

    Tom

    In article <uWoMe.19427$Yx1.79@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
    tomtoo@softhome.net says...

    > "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
    > > In article <x8GdnXEg9Mx5HWLfRVn-rg@giganews.com>, rrkircher@hotmail.com
    > > says...
    > >>

    > >> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message

    > >> Tom, shoot me an email regarding your IIS PHP setup. I'm interested in
    > >> playing around with this myself but between work and playing with
    > >> camera's I
    > >> haven't had much free time to research it.
    > >
    > > PHP and IIS is easy to setup, there are a zillion documents on it that
    > > can be pulled by GOOGLE - the main thing to remember is to add the DLL
    > > to the ISAPI and to properly set the permissions on the PHP files for
    > > the IIS User account.
    > >
    > > Just remember, with XP, you are limited to one root site in IIS.
    > >

    > What do you mean add the DLL to the ISAPI. I didn't have to do anything.
    > The install configured itself.

    Not all installs (and there are a few) properly complete. Sometimes you
    have to manually add the ISAPI DLL for it to work. I've got it running
    on about 8 servers, Windows 2000 and 2003 servers and one Windows XP
    workstation, and we've had to do it manually many times.

    I noticed that your news-reader is not clipping the sig of posts when
    you reply MS Outlook Express has a fix for that.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

Dell Dimension Computers