ORINOCO wireless card connection problems

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
June 27, 2004 12:17:36 AM

I just got a Sony SRX-77 (XP Pro) with an Orinoco internal wireless
card. Generally, it works well, but when I try to go to sites that
require me to log in (Yahoo mail, Hotmail, my web hosting site) slows
to a crawl and then can't connect.

I bought/installed a Netgear MA521 as a backup and have no problem
connecting to the above sites using this.

Are there some settings I need to change in the Orinoco wireless setup
in XP? Driver update needed? Could it be router-related? (Linksys
W11S4) Or, is this card a piece of junk? (not sure if it is gold or
silver)

Thanks,
bt
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 27, 2004 10:30:44 AM

Took the plunge and upgraded the driver from the Proxim web site. The
original driver was 7.16.xxx and the new driver is 7.64.xxx. This
seems to have fixed the problem.....but time will tell.

bt
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 27, 2004 3:23:30 PM

Forget it, still spotty....I give up!

:-)

bt
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 5, 2004 12:18:06 AM

sknyski <sknyski@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Took the plunge and upgraded the driver from the Proxim web site. The
> original driver was 7.16.xxx and the new driver is 7.64.xxx. This
> seems to have fixed the problem.....but time will tell.

I am running Windows 2000, and have the Orinoco driver 7.64.1.316 for my
Orinoco Silver for quite a while, probably October of 2002. I don't have
any problems except that the systray icon disappears if I disable the
interface, and won't come back until I reboot. The performcance of th card
has been fine.
My son uses the same driver on WinXP and has no trouble, although he
doesn't use the wireless very often.

--
---