Your question

video upgrade for a 3 year old system

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Video
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 20, 2002 4:16:28 AM

A friend of mine is interested in upgrading his 3 year old comp (K6 500 MHz I think he said) with a newer video card. Any suggestions? I don't think upgrading anything else is an option at this time, btw. Thanks for your input.

More about : video upgrade year system

November 20, 2002 6:17:21 AM

What's the initial card that your friend has? And does his board has VGA slot?

Well, I assume that it has VGA slot anyway. If your friend insisted just to change the graphic card, I'd think that the best is GF4 MX440 or a Radeon9000 non-pro or a Radeon7500 since better cards will be wasted if he put those in his system. Or for even lower budget, get the GF2MX400.
Related resources
November 20, 2002 8:25:59 AM

I might be able to answer that one since I just bought a card for my ageing Celeron 667 System. I decided to go for Radeon 7500 primarily for:
1. Only PCI card that I know that offers a dual monitor support
2. Outstanding DVD playback support
3. A 32 MB GeForce MX2 card is about 50 $ at Bestbuy while 64 MB 7500 is about 70.
4. According to people on this forum MX2 is hardly better than onboard graphics.

I am extremely pleased with the performance except for some text ghosting issue on my new monitor which I am sure is due to some setting issues and someone on this forum would be able to guide me by answering to a seperate posting that I have put up.

I watched some DVDs today and was able to watch them full screen on a 19" monitor with 1248*1025@85 Hz. Excellent - go for it.
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2002 11:27:37 AM

You have to be carefull with some of those systems, as the AGP slot didn't carry enough power to make some cards work. I would suggest a Radeon DDR or a GeForce2 MX as anything greater might not work.

Of course if he doesn't have an AGP slot, he doesn't have that worry, nor the extra performance of AGP.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
!