Richy

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004

Does any1 else get this problem. I had msn 4.5 (i think)
when i installed windows, now i installed the latest one
6.2. Everytime i open the internet it signs on with msn
4.5 without me even knowing. I then have to signout of
that and then sign into the other one, to be greeted by a
little blue screen message warning me that i have signed
out of 1 .net location and into another. This may be a
small problem but it really infuriates me.

Previously i tried uninstalling msn4.5 which was a big
mistake. I've tried to stop auto siging in but that
doesn;t seem to work :S.

If any1 could help i would appreciate it alot

Greetings Richy,

Actually what you have is Windows Messenger 4.7 which comes with Windows XP (MSN Messenger
4.5 does not install on XP per say and hasn't even been allowed on the network in years).

You'll simply need to disable Windows Messenger. To do so, open it up (click Start, then
Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK), click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and uncheck 'Run this
Program when Windows starts' or 'Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts' (depending on
version) as well as 'Allow this program to run in the background' or 'Allow Windows Messenger
to run in the background' (depending on version). This won't remove Windows Messenger, so
features like Remote Assistance, Whiteboard and Application Sharing will continue to work,
but it will let it stay out of your way.

Also, do you have Norton Antivirus installed? Recent versions of Norton Antivirus added a
new "instant messaging scanning" feature, which can conflict with Messenger and cause it to
also keep starting. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus
icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'),
click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert