Peer to Peer

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I want to network two computers that set in adjoining offices. Both
computers have dial-up access only. I am not so much interested in
internet connectivity as I am in file sharing between the two.

On computer #1 I have a WAP54G which is connected to my ethernet card.
It appears to be configured properly, but I get no packet exchange.
I have called LinkSys but I haven't been able to resolve this issue with
them.

On computer #2 I have a WUSB54G. It shows a good connection with
packets being exchanged & a good strong signal.

First of all, is the a hardware configuration something that is
workable? The sales clerk at Best Buy advised me that it was.

Secondly, if no one here can help me, is there a good website that I can
go to for instructions on how to properly configure this hardware so
that it will do what I want it to do?

Your help is appreciated,

Richard

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You say you are interested in peer-to-peer file transfer. The PC wired to
the router is not "exchanging packets" but the PC using wifi is "exchanging
packets". I have to assume you mean that this second computer is moving
packets over the Internet, but not seeing anything from the first computer.
Is this correct? I also assume that the wired computer does not see the
Internet. What you're trying to do is routine, and should work.

First thing is to eliminate the simple stuff, easily overlooked. Does the
router LAN light come on for the Ethernet port you are using? Does the
Ethernet icon ever give you a "wire unplugged" message? If either of these
are true, check your cable connections at both the router and the PC.
Sometimes the connectors do not snap all the way in, and sometimes the
little wing that provides positive tension snaps off, allowing the connector
to slip out. Also be sure that you are using a passthrough, not a crossover
cable. Finally, be sure you're using the right router port. You should not
be plugged into the WAN port.

Second question (if you have a LAN light on the Ethernet port) is whether
the wired PC has an IP address. Open a cmd shell and type "ipconfig /all".
You should see some information for the Ethernet interface. You should see a
valid IP address. If it was assigned by the router's DHCP server, it should
have the form 192.168.x.x. You should also see valid IP addresses for DHCP
server and DNS server. You should be able to ping the addresses listed for
DHCP and DNS name server.

If there is a bridge configured for the Ethernet, you want to remove that.
Any bridge should show up in the ipconfig results. To remove it, open the
control panel, select "category view", "network and internet connections".
"network connections". Right-click the bridge and select "delete".

If you can ping the servers and there's no bridge. you should at least be
able to reach the Internet.

"Richard" <rlmcculley@{nospam}yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I want to network two computers that set in adjoining offices. Both
> computers have dial-up access only. I am not so much interested in
> internet connectivity as I am in file sharing between the two.
>
> On computer #1 I have a WAP54G which is connected to my ethernet card.
> It appears to be configured properly, but I get no packet exchange.
> I have called LinkSys but I haven't been able to resolve this issue with
> them.
>
> On computer #2 I have a WUSB54G. It shows a good connection with
> packets being exchanged & a good strong signal.
>
> First of all, is the a hardware configuration something that is
> workable? The sales clerk at Best Buy advised me that it was.
>
> Secondly, if no one here can help me, is there a good website that I can
> go to for instructions on how to properly configure this hardware so
> that it will do what I want it to do?
>
> Your help is appreciated,
>
> Richard

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:24:03 -0500, Richard spoketh

>I want to network two computers that set in adjoining offices. Both
>computers have dial-up access only. I am not so much interested in
>internet connectivity as I am in file sharing between the two.
>
>On computer #1 I have a WAP54G which is connected to my ethernet card.
> It appears to be configured properly, but I get no packet exchange.
>I have called LinkSys but I haven't been able to resolve this issue with
>them.

You need a cross-over cable to connect to the WAP54G access point, if
the connection is direct. If you're using another hub or switch, then a
regular cable would do.

>On computer #2 I have a WUSB54G. It shows a good connection with
>packets being exchanged & a good strong signal.
>
>First of all, is the a hardware configuration something that is
>workable? The sales clerk at Best Buy advised me that it was.

It wasn't. A Wireless Access Point is to connect multiple wireless
clients to a wired network. You would probably have been better off with
two WUSB54G's in ad-hoc mode.

>Secondly, if no one here can help me, is there a good website that I can
>go to for instructions on how to properly configure this hardware so
>that it will do what I want it to do?
>
>Your help is appreciated,
>
>Richard

My website has info on how to set up the WAP54G. It shouldn't be much
different for you other than using that cross-over cable...

try www.hansenonline.net/Networking/wap54g101.html

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net

Oh, and one more thing: Since you don't have a DHCP server, you'll need
all static IP addresses. I don't think the WAP54G will auto-assign
itself a 169.254.x.x address like your computers does, so static IP is
the way to go.

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net

If he is using a WAP connected directly to an Ethernet card on the computer
he NEEDS to use a crossover cable as WAPs are designed to connect to a
hub/switch not directly to a computer.