Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

POP UPS

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
September 10, 2004 1:07:22 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

I'm new to all this...how do I stop the annoying popups
that come thru Messenger Service? Thx.

More about : pop ups

September 10, 2004 1:13:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Go to control panel/administrative tools/services and set Messenger Service
to Manual and Off.

"gb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:93c001c496eb$ac550330$a601280a@phx.gbl...
> I'm new to all this...how do I stop the annoying popups
> that come thru Messenger Service? Thx.
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 2:12:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Striker,
You should treat the cause and not the symptoms. Install a good Firewall
and or Pop-up Blocker software. These Pop-ups are informing you that your
computer has open ports which hackers can access.
Nick

"Striker" <anonymous@no.Spam> wrote in message
news:%236BdWyulEHA.3392@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Go to control panel/administrative tools/services and set Messenger
> Service to Manual and Off.
>
> "gb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:93c001c496eb$ac550330$a601280a@phx.gbl...
>> I'm new to all this...how do I stop the annoying popups
>> that come thru Messenger Service? Thx.
>
>
Related resources
September 10, 2004 2:12:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

There has been lots of discussion over the years on which is the best way to
block Messenger Service alerts and I am using the same solution that MS has
implemented in SP2( making the default setting of Messenger Service to Off).
Messenger Service was designed and implemented in order for administrators
of corporate networks to send an alert to all users on a network. Messenger
Service alerts have nothing to do with browser based pop-ups and will not be
stopped by a pop-up blocker.

"Old Nick" <hell@downunder.invalid> wrote in message
news:o V9uw3wlEHA.2884@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Striker,
> You should treat the cause and not the symptoms. Install a good Firewall
> and or Pop-up Blocker software. These Pop-ups are informing you that your
> computer has open ports which hackers can access.
> Nick
>
> "Striker" <anonymous@no.Spam> wrote in message
> news:%236BdWyulEHA.3392@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Go to control panel/administrative tools/services and set Messenger
>> Service to Manual and Off.
>>
>> "gb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:93c001c496eb$ac550330$a601280a@phx.gbl...
>>> I'm new to all this...how do I stop the annoying popups
>>> that come thru Messenger Service? Thx.
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 2:12:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Hi,

I agree with Striker =)
____________________________________________
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
Associate Expert
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.

"Striker" <anonymous@no.Spam> wrote in message news:eCTsNhzlEHA.596@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> There has been lots of discussion over the years on which is the best way to block
> Messenger Service alerts and I am using the same solution that MS has implemented in SP2(
> making the default setting of Messenger Service to Off). Messenger Service was designed and
> implemented in order for administrators of corporate networks to send an alert to all
> users on a network. Messenger Service alerts have nothing to do with browser based pop-ups
> and will not be stopped by a pop-up blocker.
>
> "Old Nick" <hell@downunder.invalid> wrote in message
> news:o V9uw3wlEHA.2884@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Striker,
>> You should treat the cause and not the symptoms. Install a good Firewall and or Pop-up
>> Blocker software. These Pop-ups are informing you that your computer has open ports which
>> hackers can access.
>> Nick
>>
>> "Striker" <anonymous@no.Spam> wrote in message
>> news:%236BdWyulEHA.3392@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>> Go to control panel/administrative tools/services and set Messenger Service to Manual and
>>> Off.
>>>
>>> "gb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> news:93c001c496eb$ac550330$a601280a@phx.gbl...
>>>> I'm new to all this...how do I stop the annoying popups
>>>> that come thru Messenger Service? Thx.
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 9:03:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Striker ,
Please have a look at the quote below from
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Popups.htm, I see that the OP appears to have
Windows 2000.

"If the title bar reads as "MESSENGER SERVICE" with gray ADs, then it the
famous Messenger SPAM. This is applicable only for Windows 2000 and Windows
XP. The "Messenger Service" [different from Windows Messenger IM] is
responsible for transmitting these text-based messages. While disabling the
Messenger Service can stop the pop-up Ads, it's not sufficient in the
security point of view. These messages arrive to your system because there
is a way for someone to transmit data to your computer via TCP and UDP ports
[UDP ports 135, 137, and 138; TCP ports 135, 139, and 445 137]. This means,
some intruder can do nasty things on your computer with this port open. The
BEST and HIGHLY RECOMMENDED method to prevent these type of pop-up and to
harden the security of your computer is to enable the Windows XP's Internet
Connection Firewall and upgrade to Windows XP SP1. This blocks the ports
required for Messenger Service data transmission."

Nick

"Striker" <anonymous@no.Spam> wrote in message
news:eCTsNhzlEHA.596@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> There has been lots of discussion over the years on which is the best way
> to block Messenger Service alerts and I am using the same solution that MS
> has implemented in SP2( making the default setting of Messenger Service to
> Off). Messenger Service was designed and implemented in order for
> administrators of corporate networks to send an alert to all users on a
> network. Messenger Service alerts have nothing to do with browser based
> pop-ups and will not be stopped by a pop-up blocker.
September 10, 2004 9:03:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

I stand by my recommendation because disabling Messenger Service is the
solution Microsoft finally choose to implement in XP SP2 ( and which is just
as valid a solution for Win 2000) instead of trying to use a firewall as
they had previously suggested . I am not suggesting that the use of
firewalls is to be discourage but I am suggesting the solution to the
Messenger Service Spam problem that will be on XP systems shipped as of
this fall and which does not require the user to have, set up and use a
firewall.

"Old Nick" <hell@downunder.invalid> wrote in message
news:u4a3od0lEHA.3156@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Striker ,
> Please have a look at the quote below from
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Popups.htm, I see that the OP appears to
> have Windows 2000.
>
> "If the title bar reads as "MESSENGER SERVICE" with gray ADs, then it the
> famous Messenger SPAM. This is applicable only for Windows 2000 and
> Windows XP. The "Messenger Service" [different from Windows Messenger IM]
> is responsible for transmitting these text-based messages. While disabling
> the Messenger Service can stop the pop-up Ads, it's not sufficient in the
> security point of view. These messages arrive to your system because there
> is a way for someone to transmit data to your computer via TCP and UDP
> ports [UDP ports 135, 137, and 138; TCP ports 135, 139, and 445 137]. This
> means, some intruder can do nasty things on your computer with this port
> open. The BEST and HIGHLY RECOMMENDED method to prevent these type of
> pop-up and to harden the security of your computer is to enable the
> Windows XP's Internet Connection Firewall and upgrade to Windows XP SP1.
> This blocks the ports required for Messenger Service data transmission."
>
> Nick
>
> "Striker" <anonymous@no.Spam> wrote in message
> news:eCTsNhzlEHA.596@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> There has been lots of discussion over the years on which is the best way
>> to block Messenger Service alerts and I am using the same solution that
>> MS has implemented in SP2( making the default setting of Messenger
>> Service to Off). Messenger Service was designed and implemented in order
>> for administrators of corporate networks to send an alert to all users on
>> a network. Messenger Service alerts have nothing to do with browser based
>> pop-ups and will not be stopped by a pop-up blocker.
>
>
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 9:03:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

"Striker" <anonymous@no.Spam> wrote in message
news:%23oguVv0lEHA.3632@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>I stand by my recommendation because disabling Messenger Service is the
>solution Microsoft finally choose to implement in XP SP2 ( and which is
>just as valid a solution for Win 2000) instead of trying to use a firewall
>as they had previously suggested . I am not suggesting that the use of
>firewalls is to be discourage but I am suggesting the solution to the
>Messenger Service Spam problem that will be on XP systems shipped as of
>this fall and which does not require the user to have, set up and use a
>firewall. **
>

I turned off Messenger Service. But, when I installed SP2 and I think
in all cases unless you intentionally disable it, the new firewall called
Windows Firewall is installed automatically. It is not that Messenger
Service
itself does damage, but the vulnerability of the ports that these Messenger
Service advertisements exploit. I'm unsure of your last statement. **


http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

SYMTOMS
"You may receive an Internet advertisement in a Messenger service window.

CAUSE
This issue may occur if you receive a net send message from
someone who is using the Messenger service in Windows.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, install or turn on a firewall that blocks
inbound NetBIOS and UDP broadcast traffic. The method that you use
to resolve this issue depends on your operating system and how you
connect to the Internet. The following sections provide examples of
several different configurations and possible methods of resolution.

You connect to the Internet directly
If you use a single computer that is connected to the Internet
directly (by using a cable modem, a DSL modem, or a dial-up modem,
for example), install a firewall and block inbound NetBIOS and
UDPbroadcast traffic on your computer.

You are running Windows XP
If you are running Windows XP and connect to the Internet directly
(by using a cable modem, a DSL modem, or a dial-up modem, for
example), install Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) and turn on
Internet Connection Firewall (ICF). By default, the installation
of Windows XP SP1 permits Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) to
block all incoming traffic (unicast, multicast, and broadcast). By
default, if you have installed Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2),
Windows Firewall (WF) is turned on."
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 9:03:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

"Striker" <anonymous@no.Spam> wrote in message
news:%23oguVv0lEHA.3632@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>I stand by my recommendation because disabling Messenger Service is the
>solution Microsoft finally choose to implement in XP SP2 ( and which is
>just as valid a solution for Win 2000) instead of trying to use a firewall
>as they had previously suggested . I am not suggesting that the use of
>firewalls is to be discourage but I am suggesting the solution to the
>Messenger Service Spam problem that will be on XP systems shipped as of
>this fall and which does not require the user to have, set up and use a
>firewall.
>

Well, maybe you mean third party firewalls. SP2 installs the Windows
Firewall and Windows Messenger and I don't think the SP2 will change soon.
September 10, 2004 9:03:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

What I meant is that by turning off the Messenger Service you are turning
off its ability to start and run in background and to listen for and receive
anything on the ports it uses. This is independent of having to have the
SP2 firewall enabled or any other firewall enabled to block the ports used
by Messenger Service or any other rogue application that may have gotten on
your computer and be running and listening for inputs from the ports used
by Messenger Service.

"Stephen Harris" <Stephen_P_Harris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23qbPGj4lEHA.3760@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
> "Striker" <anonymous@no.Spam> wrote in message
> news:%23oguVv0lEHA.3632@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>I stand by my recommendation because disabling Messenger Service is the
>>solution Microsoft finally choose to implement in XP SP2 ( and which is
>>just as valid a solution for Win 2000) instead of trying to use a firewall
>>as they had previously suggested . I am not suggesting that the use of
>>firewalls is to be discourage but I am suggesting the solution to the
>>Messenger Service Spam problem that will be on XP systems shipped as of
>>this fall and which does not require the user to have, set up and use a
>>firewall.
>>
>
> Well, maybe you mean third party firewalls. SP2 installs the Windows
> Firewall and Windows Messenger and I don't think the SP2 will change soon.
>
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 9:50:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

And I standby my original Post " treat the cause and not the symptoms".
I can see we will never agree, so let's just abide by our own opinion. I
just feel that you should have been a little more enlightening to the OP.
Nick

"Striker" <anonymous@no.Spam> wrote in message
news:%23oguVv0lEHA.3632@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>I stand by my recommendation because disabling Messenger Service is the
>solution Microsoft finally choose to implement in XP SP2 ( and which is
>just as valid a solution for Win 2000) instead of trying to use a firewall
>as they had previously suggested . I am not suggesting that the use of
>firewalls is to be discourage but I am suggesting the solution to the
>Messenger Service Spam problem that will be on XP systems shipped as of
>this fall and which does not require the user to have, set up and use a
>firewall.
>
> "Old Nick" <hell@downunder.invalid> wrote in message
> news:u4a3od0lEHA.3156@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Striker ,
>> Please have a look at the quote below from
>> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Popups.htm, I see that the OP appears to
>> have Windows 2000.
>>
>> "If the title bar reads as "MESSENGER SERVICE" with gray ADs, then it the
>> famous Messenger SPAM. This is applicable only for Windows 2000 and
>> Windows XP. The "Messenger Service" [different from Windows Messenger IM]
>> is responsible for transmitting these text-based messages. While
>> disabling the Messenger Service can stop the pop-up Ads, it's not
>> sufficient in the security point of view. These messages arrive to your
>> system because there is a way for someone to transmit data to your
>> computer via TCP and UDP ports [UDP ports 135, 137, and 138; TCP ports
>> 135, 139, and 445 137]. This means, some intruder can do nasty things on
>> your computer with this port open. The BEST and HIGHLY RECOMMENDED method
>> to prevent these type of pop-up and to harden the security of your
>> computer is to enable the Windows XP's Internet Connection Firewall and
>> upgrade to Windows XP SP1. This blocks the ports required for Messenger
>> Service data transmission."
>>
>> Nick
>>
>> "Striker" <anonymous@no.Spam> wrote in message
>> news:eCTsNhzlEHA.596@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> There has been lots of discussion over the years on which is the best
>>> way to block Messenger Service alerts and I am using the same solution
>>> that MS has implemented in SP2( making the default setting of Messenger
>>> Service to Off). Messenger Service was designed and implemented in order
>>> for administrators of corporate networks to send an alert to all users
>>> on a network. Messenger Service alerts have nothing to do with browser
>>> based pop-ups and will not be stopped by a pop-up blocker.
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 10:46:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

"Striker" <anonymous@no.Spam> wrote in message
news:%23ZwFXG5lEHA.2588@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> What I meant is that by turning off the Messenger Service you are turning
> off its ability to start and run in background and to listen for and
> receive anything on the ports it uses. This is independent of having to
> have the SP2 firewall enabled or any other firewall enabled to block the
> ports used by Messenger Service or any other rogue application that may
> have gotten on your computer and be running and listening for inputs from
> the ports used by Messenger Service.
>

I understand that and there are two different functions is not in quesion.

I question:

>I stand by my recommendation because disabling Messenger Service is the
>solution Microsoft finally choose to implement in XP SP2 ( and which is
>just as valid a solution for Win 2000) instead of trying to use a firewall
>as they had previously suggested .

I wrote "I don't think the SP2 will change soon."

Because it is Sept 10, and xp sp2 enables both the firewall and messenger
service so it is not the solution Microsoft finally chose. It is extremely
unlikely
that SP2 will be modified this year so that systems will continue to need
either
to disable windows messenger (since it will be enabled by default) or to use
a firewall. I don't see how your recent clarification makes the information
that I
do question understandable. Disabling messenger or using a firewall are
different methods. I don't see how that supports your statement that MS
has chosen disabling Messenger as the better way, especially by the fall
of this year since SP2 will not be changed this year; SP2 does automatically
enable Windows Messenger. Do you mean OEMs will release a slipstreamed
version ( the new enhanced XP) of win xp and sp2 that will soon have windows
messenger disabled, as an installed OS on newly shipped computers?


> "Stephen Harris" <Stephen_P_Harris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%23qbPGj4lEHA.3760@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "Striker" <anonymous@no.Spam> wrote in message
>> news:%23oguVv0lEHA.3632@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>>I stand by my recommendation because disabling Messenger Service is the
>>>solution Microsoft finally choose to implement in XP SP2 ( and which is
>>>just as valid a solution for Win 2000) instead of trying to use a
>>>firewall as they had previously suggested . I am not suggesting that the
>>>use of firewalls is to be discourage but I am suggesting the solution to
>>>the Messenger Service Spam problem that will be on XP systems shipped as
>>>of this fall and which does not require the user to have, set up and use
>>>a firewall.
>>>
>>
>> Well, maybe you mean third party firewalls. SP2 installs the Windows
>> Firewall and Windows Messenger and I don't think the SP2 will change
>> soon.
>>
>
>
September 10, 2004 11:26:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

I disagree MS did disable Messenger Services in SP2 and Messenger Services
has nothing to do with MSN Messenger or Windows Messenger following is a
quote from the release documentation for SP2. I agree with you that MSN
Messenger and Windows Messenger are not disabled in SP2.

"Alerter and Messenger Services
What do the Alerter and Messenger Services do?
The Alerter and Messenger services are components of Windows that allow
simple messages to be communicated between computers on a network. The
Messenger service relays messages from different applications and services,
while the Alerter service is intended specifically for administrative
alerts.

Who does this feature apply to?
Administrators that communicate with their users should be aware of the
changes to these services. In addition, developers that use these services
to notify users about events or broadcast messages on the network should be
aware of these changes. Although these changes apply to all computers
running Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2, only computers connected to a
network are affected.

What existing functionality is changing in Windows XP Service Pack 2?
Alerter and Messenger Services Disabled
Detailed description

In previous versions of Windows, the Messenger service is set to start
automatically and the Alerter service is set to manual start. In Windows XP
Service Pack 2, both of these services are set to Disabled. No other changes
are made to these services.

Why is this change important? What threats does it help mitigate?

When the services are started, they allow incoming network connections and
present an attack surface. This elevates their security risk. Also, these
services are used infrequently in current computing environments. Because of
the additional attack surface that the services present, and their limited
general use, they are now disabled by default."





"Stephen Harris" <Stephen_P_Harris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:eX6DwE6lEHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>
> "Striker" <anonymous@no.Spam> wrote in message
> news:%23ZwFXG5lEHA.2588@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> What I meant is that by turning off the Messenger Service you are turning
>> off its ability to start and run in background and to listen for and
>> receive anything on the ports it uses. This is independent of having to
>> have the SP2 firewall enabled or any other firewall enabled to block the
>> ports used by Messenger Service or any other rogue application that may
>> have gotten on your computer and be running and listening for inputs
>> from the ports used by Messenger Service.
>>
>
> I understand that and there are two different functions is not in quesion.
>
> I question:
>
>>I stand by my recommendation because disabling Messenger Service is the
>>solution Microsoft finally choose to implement in XP SP2 ( and which is
>>just as valid a solution for Win 2000) instead of trying to use a firewall
>>as they had previously suggested .
>
> I wrote "I don't think the SP2 will change soon."
>
> Because it is Sept 10, and xp sp2 enables both the firewall and messenger
> service so it is not the solution Microsoft finally chose. It is extremely
> unlikely
> that SP2 will be modified this year so that systems will continue to need
> either
> to disable windows messenger (since it will be enabled by default) or to
> use
> a firewall. I don't see how your recent clarification makes the
> information that I
> do question understandable. Disabling messenger or using a firewall are
> different methods. I don't see how that supports your statement that MS
> has chosen disabling Messenger as the better way, especially by the fall
> of this year since SP2 will not be changed this year; SP2 does
> automatically
> enable Windows Messenger. Do you mean OEMs will release a slipstreamed
> version ( the new enhanced XP) of win xp and sp2 that will soon have
> windows
> messenger disabled, as an installed OS on newly shipped computers?
>
>
>> "Stephen Harris" <Stephen_P_Harris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:%23qbPGj4lEHA.3760@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>>
>>> "Striker" <anonymous@no.Spam> wrote in message
>>> news:%23oguVv0lEHA.3632@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>>>I stand by my recommendation because disabling Messenger Service is the
>>>>solution Microsoft finally choose to implement in XP SP2 ( and which is
>>>>just as valid a solution for Win 2000) instead of trying to use a
>>>>firewall as they had previously suggested . I am not suggesting that
>>>>the use of firewalls is to be discourage but I am suggesting the
>>>>solution to the Messenger Service Spam problem that will be on XP
>>>>systems shipped as of this fall and which does not require the user to
>>>>have, set up and use a firewall.
>>>>
>>>
>>> Well, maybe you mean third party firewalls. SP2 installs the Windows
>>> Firewall and Windows Messenger and I don't think the SP2 will change
>>> soon.
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 12:54:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

"Striker" <anonymous@no.Spam> wrote in message
news:%23xs7Ab6lEHA.3544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>I disagree MS did disable Messenger Services in SP2 and Messenger Services
>has nothing to do with MSN Messenger or Windows Messenger following is a
>quote from the release documentation for SP2. I agree with you that MSN
>Messenger and Windows Messenger are not disabled in SP2.
>

You are right and I am wrong. I must have manually disabled windows
messenger before SP2 and my memory became befuddled and confused
and I had one of those psychoanalytic projective moments, or I am getting
old.
!