Screen Refresh Rate Dell Dimension 8100

When ever I close out an application and return to the Windows screen
on my computer the icons will first appear as white blocks then slowly
fill in each with the unique icon associated with the application.
This will take about five seconds.

The monitor is a Dell flat screen.

Anything I can do to speed this up?
27 answers Last reply
More about screen refresh rate dell dimension 8100

    Presuming that your computer is 100% virus- and spyware-free:

    If it always was this way, from the first moment you turned on the computer,
    call Dell technical support.

    Otherwise, the usual drill is:

    1. Does the same thing happen on a different monitor? If not, the original
    monitor is the problem.
    2. If the same thing happens on a different monitor, restart your computer
    into Safe Mode. Is the problem solved? Then your video driver is the
    problem - download the latest, uninstall old one, install new one.
    3. If the problem remains even in Safe Mode, your video card is the problem.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    Bill wrote:
    > When ever I close out an application and return to the Windows screen
    > on my computer the icons will first appear as white blocks then slowly
    > fill in each with the unique icon associated with the application.
    > This will take about five seconds.
    >
    > The monitor is a Dell flat screen.
    >
    > Anything I can do to speed this up?

    Scroll down to number 121. This registry edit will increase the shell
    icon cache to speed up screen redraws of icons.

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:17:32 -0500, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Bill
    <bgross@nospan.airmail.net> wrote:

    >When ever I close out an application and return to the Windows screen
    >on my computer the icons will first appear as white blocks then slowly
    >fill in each with the unique icon associated with the application.
    >This will take about five seconds.
    >
    >The monitor is a Dell flat screen.
    >
    >Anything I can do to speed this up?
    Sounds to me like Windows refreshing the icons, but taking a long time to do
    it. Not a monitor, video driver, or video card problem, just Windows taking
    its own sweet time.

    If I remember right, there's setting somewhere in Windows that affects this:
    something related to 'Icon caching' or something along those lines. No idea
    where that setting is, though. I'll rummage around a bit, and I'll post
    back if I can find anything for you.

    --
    Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

    What you are seeing has nothing to do with the monitor. Some process or program
    is taking up lots of CPU time, preventing timely refresh by Windows itself.
    Could be a virus, a worm, spyware or a trojan. Could also be that the system is
    low on memory for the tasks you want it to do. Could be the hard disk needs
    defragmenting. Could be the system has a huge clutter of temporary files.

    Start by doing a Disk Cleanup, followed by a defrag. If that does not clear
    things up, look into a spyware cleaner (e.g. Spybot), an ad-ware remover (e.g.
    Ad-Aware), and/or up-to-date virus scanning and removal... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:17:32 -0500, Bill <bgross@nospan.airmail.net> wrote:

    >When ever I close out an application and return to the Windows screen
    >on my computer the icons will first appear as white blocks then slowly
    >fill in each with the unique icon associated with the application.
    >This will take about five seconds.
    >
    >The monitor is a Dell flat screen.
    >
    >Anything I can do to speed this up?

    I like your answer better than mine. I thought the refresh might have been
    the sign of a video problem. But, IIRC, the rest of the OP's experience was
    fine.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    > What you are seeing has nothing to do with the monitor. Some process or
    program
    > is taking up lots of CPU time, preventing timely refresh by Windows
    itself.
    > Could be a virus, a worm, spyware or a trojan. Could also be that the
    system is
    > low on memory for the tasks you want it to do. Could be the hard disk
    needs
    > defragmenting. Could be the system has a huge clutter of temporary files.
    >
    > Start by doing a Disk Cleanup, followed by a defrag. If that does not
    clear
    > things up, look into a spyware cleaner (e.g. Spybot), an ad-ware remover
    (e.g.
    > Ad-Aware), and/or up-to-date virus scanning and removal... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:17:32 -0500, Bill <bgross@nospan.airmail.net>
    wrote:

    > >When ever I close out an application and return to the Windows screen
    > >on my computer the icons will first appear as white blocks then slowly
    > >fill in each with the unique icon associated with the application.
    > >This will take about five seconds.
    > >
    > >The monitor is a Dell flat screen.
    > >
    > >Anything I can do to speed this up?

    I've got Norton AV running full time as well as MS spyware, also run
    Spybot as well.

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:18:58 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
    (Ben Myers) wrote:

    >What you are seeing has nothing to do with the monitor. Some process or program
    >is taking up lots of CPU time, preventing timely refresh by Windows itself.
    >Could be a virus, a worm, spyware or a trojan. Could also be that the system is
    >low on memory for the tasks you want it to do. Could be the hard disk needs
    >defragmenting. Could be the system has a huge clutter of temporary files.
    >
    >Start by doing a Disk Cleanup, followed by a defrag. If that does not clear
    >things up, look into a spyware cleaner (e.g. Spybot), an ad-ware remover (e.g.
    >Ad-Aware), and/or up-to-date virus scanning and removal... Ben Myers
    >
    >On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:17:32 -0500, Bill <bgross@nospan.airmail.net> wrote:
    >
    >>When ever I close out an application and return to the Windows screen
    >>on my computer the icons will first appear as white blocks then slowly
    >>fill in each with the unique icon associated with the application.
    >>This will take about five seconds.
    >>
    >>The monitor is a Dell flat screen.
    >>
    >>Anything I can do to speed this up?

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 17:42:56 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

    [. . .]
    >Hey, Bill! If you want to take a look at what's being loaded at startup,
    >there are lots of good, freeware programs out there. One that I've been
    >using is CodeStuff Starter (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/starter.html).
    >
    >Give it a try!
    >
    >Notan

    Here the basic info
    1.50 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    8 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    512 Megabytes Installed Memory

    Slot 'RIMM_1' has 128 MB
    Slot 'RIMM_2' has 128 MB
    Slot 'RIMM_3' has 128 MB
    Slot 'RIMM_4' has 128 MB

    Display
    NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft Corporation) [Display adapter]
    DELL 1701FP [Monitor] (17.1"vis, s/n 06HRM17RAQ1Q, July 2001)

    "Starter" reports

    Norton Password Manager
    Acronis Schedule
    Acronis True Image
    Adobe Reader
    Norton Advanced Tools
    Billminder.lnk (quicker application)
    ccApp (norton app)
    CleanSweep SmartSweep
    Copernic Desktop
    DeviceDiscovery (HP Digital imaging)
    Dimension4
    Microsoft Anti-Spyware
    HP Connect
    HP Software Update
    HPDJ Taskbar
    Logitech Utiilty
    Maxtor Combo
    MSMSGS
    Printing Migration
    QD FastAndSafe
    SunJavaUpdate
    Symantec NetDriver Monitor
    VirtualDrive
    Weather Bug
    WordWeb.lnk
    zBrowser Launcher (Logitech iTouch app)

    Bill wrote:

    > On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 17:42:56 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
    >
    > [. . .]
    > >Hey, Bill! If you want to take a look at what's being loaded at startup,
    > >there are lots of good, freeware programs out there. One that I've been
    > >using is CodeStuff Starter (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/starter.html).
    > >
    > >Give it a try!
    > >
    > >Notan
    >
    > Here the basic info
    > 1.50 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    > 8 kilobyte primary memory cache
    > 256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    > 512 Megabytes Installed Memory
    >
    > Slot 'RIMM_1' has 128 MB
    > Slot 'RIMM_2' has 128 MB
    > Slot 'RIMM_3' has 128 MB
    > Slot 'RIMM_4' has 128 MB
    >
    > Display
    > NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft Corporation) [Display adapter]
    > DELL 1701FP [Monitor] (17.1"vis, s/n 06HRM17RAQ1Q, July 2001)
    >
    > "Starter" reports
    >
    > Norton Password Manager
    > Acronis Schedule
    > Acronis True Image
    > Adobe Reader
    > Norton Advanced Tools
    > Billminder.lnk (quicker application)
    > ccApp (norton app)
    > CleanSweep SmartSweep
    > Copernic Desktop
    > DeviceDiscovery (HP Digital imaging)
    > Dimension4
    > Microsoft Anti-Spyware
    > HP Connect
    > HP Software Update
    > HPDJ Taskbar
    > Logitech Utiilty
    > Maxtor Combo
    > MSMSGS
    > Printing Migration
    > QD FastAndSafe
    > SunJavaUpdate
    > Symantec NetDriver Monitor
    > VirtualDrive
    > Weather Bug
    > WordWeb.lnk
    > zBrowser Launcher (Logitech iTouch app)

    While you're not running a cutting edge system (Sorry! <g>), and assuming
    your video card has its own on-board memory (i.e., it's not sharing memory
    with the system), the first thing I'd try would be disabling your Startup
    programs:

    Start | Run | MSCONFIG

    Under the "General" tab, click "Selective Startup" and un-click "Load
    Startup Items." Then reboot.

    What this will do is load Windows *without* loading your (somewhat lengthy)
    list of startup programs. Then see if the slow refresh problem persists. If
    it doesn't, come back and I'll/we'll tell you how to load startup programs,
    selectively, so you can sort out which ones are the culprits.

    Notan

    PS - Hey, Stew! It looks like we might owe Bill some money! :-(

    > Bill wrote:
    >>
    >> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 17:42:56 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> [. . .]
    >> >Hey, Bill! If you want to take a look at what's being loaded at startup,
    >> >there are lots of good, freeware programs out there. One that I've been
    >> >using is CodeStuff Starter (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/starter.html).
    >> >
    >> >Give it a try!
    >> >
    >> >Notan
    >>
    >> Here the basic info
    >> 1.50 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    >> 8 kilobyte primary memory cache
    >> 256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    >> 512 Megabytes Installed Memory
    >>
    >> Slot 'RIMM_1' has 128 MB
    >> Slot 'RIMM_2' has 128 MB
    >> Slot 'RIMM_3' has 128 MB
    >> Slot 'RIMM_4' has 128 MB
    >>
    >> Display
    >> NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft Corporation) [Display adapter]
    >> DELL 1701FP [Monitor] (17.1"vis, s/n 06HRM17RAQ1Q, July 2001)
    >>
    >> "Starter" reports
    >>
    >> Norton Password Manager
    >> Acronis Schedule
    >> Acronis True Image
    >> Adobe Reader
    >> Norton Advanced Tools
    >> Billminder.lnk (quicker application)
    >> ccApp (norton app)
    >> CleanSweep SmartSweep
    >> Copernic Desktop
    >> DeviceDiscovery (HP Digital imaging)
    >> Dimension4
    >> Microsoft Anti-Spyware
    >> HP Connect
    >> HP Software Update
    >> HPDJ Taskbar
    >> Logitech Utiilty
    >> Maxtor Combo
    >> MSMSGS
    >> Printing Migration
    >> QD FastAndSafe
    >> SunJavaUpdate
    >> Symantec NetDriver Monitor
    >> VirtualDrive
    >> Weather Bug
    >> WordWeb.lnk
    >> zBrowser Launcher (Logitech iTouch app)
    >
    > While you're not running a cutting edge system (Sorry! <g>), and assuming
    > your video card has its own on-board memory (i.e., it's not sharing memory
    > with the system), the first thing I'd try would be disabling your Startup
    > programs:
    >
    > Start | Run | MSCONFIG
    >
    > Under the "General" tab, click "Selective Startup" and un-click "Load
    > Startup Items." Then reboot.
    >
    > What this will do is load Windows *without* loading your (somewhat
    > lengthy)
    > list of startup programs. Then see if the slow refresh problem persists.
    > If
    > it doesn't, come back and I'll/we'll tell you how to load startup
    > programs,
    > selectively, so you can sort out which ones are the culprits.
    >
    > Notan
    >
    > PS - Hey, Stew! It looks like we might owe Bill some money! :-(

    Notan,

    Crudders. I owe you $10 at least due to the RAM config.....

    :-)

    Startup is certainly beefy as you've pointed out (not just the quantity of
    programs, but the selection he has), and if he'd go to "custom" in his
    performance settings (with only 2-3 items enabled), he's going to lose his
    icon problem for sure - unless he's infected......

    He appears to be running a Dimension 8100 (RIMMs) judging from the CPU clock
    rate. I wonder if he's using XP or still has WinMe......(performance
    settings not really an issue with Me...)

    Stew

    Looks like Stew's in the money.

    --

    > Looks like Stew's in the money.
    >
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    > "You can do it if you try."

    Ted,

    No, I lost. The OP has 512mb in his config., thereby indicating that Notan
    will have him fixed up in no time. I was right about the startup, but the
    OP didn't comment on his OS (WinXP or WinMe), or the number of icons on the
    desktop.

    I'm out at least $5.00....

    (g)

    Stew

    "S.Lewis" wrote:

    > > Looks like Stew's in the money.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ted Zieglar
    > > "You can do it if you try."
    > >

    > Ted,
    >
    > No, I lost. The OP has 512mb in his config., thereby indicating that Notan
    > will have him fixed up in no time. I was right about the startup, but the
    > OP didn't comment on his OS (WinXP or WinMe), or the number of icons on the
    > desktop.
    >
    > I'm out at least $5.00....

    How 'bout we call this one a wash? (You were right about the startups,
    but wrong about the memory).

    Notan

    I think you've got the full $10 if the OP actually has so-called continuity
    RAM in two of those RIMM those slots. That means he's only got 256MB of
    RDRAM, IIRC.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

    > > Looks like Stew's in the money.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ted Zieglar
    > > "You can do it if you try."
    > >

    > Ted,
    >
    > No, I lost. The OP has 512mb in his config., thereby indicating that
    Notan
    > will have him fixed up in no time. I was right about the startup, but the
    > OP didn't comment on his OS (WinXP or WinMe), or the number of icons on
    the
    > desktop.
    >
    > I'm out at least $5.00....
    >
    > (g)
    >

    > Stew

    Sorry, didn't add that is an XP machine w/SP2 and other fixes I am
    aware of. I'll go back and take out some of the stuff that get's
    loaded. Why Adobe wants to get loaded till needed is beyond me.
    Wonder what the HP think is doing in there since I've got an Epson
    scanner. WordWeb is a neat dictionary which heaven knows I need.
    Don't need the Password Manager.

    >I think you've got the full $10 if the OP actually has so-called continuity
    > RAM in two of those RIMM those slots. That means he's only got 256MB of
    > RDRAM, IIRC.
    >
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    > "You can do it if you try."

    heh heh. You can be my agent or attorney anytime:

    From the OP's response post:

    <paste>

    Slot 'RIMM_1' has 128 MB
    Slot 'RIMM_2' has 128 MB
    Slot 'RIMM_3' has 128 MB
    Slot 'RIMM_4' has 128 MB

    <end>

    Nice try though:)

    Stew

    > "S.Lewis" wrote:
    >>
    >> "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Looks like Stew's in the money.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Ted Zieglar
    >> > "You can do it if you try."
    >> >

    >> Ted,
    >>
    >> No, I lost. The OP has 512mb in his config., thereby indicating that
    >> Notan
    >> will have him fixed up in no time. I was right about the startup, but
    >> the
    >> OP didn't comment on his OS (WinXP or WinMe), or the number of icons on
    >> the
    >> desktop.
    >>
    >> I'm out at least $5.00....
    >
    > How 'bout we call this one a wash? (You were right about the startups,
    > but wrong about the memory).
    >
    > Notan

    DEAL!!! :)

    Stew

    Bill wrote:

    > Sorry, didn't add that is an XP machine w/SP2 and other fixes I am
    > aware of. I'll go back and take out some of the stuff that get's
    > loaded. Why Adobe wants to get loaded till needed is beyond me.
    > Wonder what the HP think is doing in there since I've got an Epson
    > scanner. WordWeb is a neat dictionary which heaven knows I need.
    > Don't need the Password Manager.
    >
    > <snip>

    Don't "take out some of the stuff that get's loaded,"
    take out EVERYTHING, using MSCONFIG, and let us know
    what happens.

    Notan

    Taking this off on another track, could you expand on the comment on
    RAM below? Why do I have in actuality 256 instead of 512, is there
    any way to get to 512, or higher with only four slots?

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 18:13:40 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com>
    wrote:

    >"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I think you've got the full $10 if the OP actually has so-called continuity
    >> RAM in two of those RIMM those slots. That means he's only got 256MB of
    >> RDRAM, IIRC.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ted Zieglar
    >> "You can do it if you try."
    >>

    >heh heh. You can be my agent or attorney anytime:
    >
    >From the OP's response post:
    >
    ><paste>
    >
    >Slot 'RIMM_1' has 128 MB
    >Slot 'RIMM_2' has 128 MB
    >Slot 'RIMM_3' has 128 MB
    >Slot 'RIMM_4' has 128 MB
    >
    ><end>
    >
    >Nice try though:)
    >

    >Stew

    RDRAM had to be installed in pairs. If you had 4 slots for memory, and all
    four were filled, that meant you either had four sticks of RAM or two sticks
    of RAM and two sticks of so-called continuity RAM, essentially empty
    modules.

    Since four 125MB sticks of RDRAM was a most cost-inefficient way of arriving
    at 512MB of memory, I postulated that you may actually have two sticks of
    128MB and two sticks of 128MB continuity, thus arriving at 256MB of RAM in
    total.

    The way to settle it once and for all, presuming that all installed modules
    are exactly compatible with your computer, is to go to Control Panel >
    System and read the amount of RAM from the General tab.

    --

    > Taking this off on another track, could you expand on the comment on
    > RAM below? Why do I have in actuality 256 instead of 512, is there
    > any way to get to 512, or higher with only four slots?
    >
    > On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 18:13:40 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
    > >>I think you've got the full $10 if the OP actually has so-called
    continuity
    > >> RAM in two of those RIMM those slots. That means he's only got 256MB of
    > >> RDRAM, IIRC.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Ted Zieglar
    > >> "You can do it if you try."
    > >>

    > >heh heh. You can be my agent or attorney anytime:
    > >
    > >From the OP's response post:
    > >
    > ><paste>
    > >
    > >Slot 'RIMM_1' has 128 MB
    > >Slot 'RIMM_2' has 128 MB
    > >Slot 'RIMM_3' has 128 MB
    > >Slot 'RIMM_4' has 128 MB
    > >
    > ><end>
    > >
    > >Nice try though:)
    > >

    > >Stew

    From what one of your earlier messages stated, your system has 512MB of main
    system memory (4x128MB RIMMs) and 256KB CACHE memory. To install more than
    512MB of memory, you need to remove a pair of 128MB in one bank and replace them
    with a matched pair of higher capacity RIMMs, PC800 speed... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 08:10:28 -0500, Bill <bgross@nospan.airmail.net> wrote:

    >Taking this off on another track, could you expand on the comment on
    >RAM below? Why do I have in actuality 256 instead of 512, is there
    >any way to get to 512, or higher with only four slots?
    >
    >On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 18:13:40 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>I think you've got the full $10 if the OP actually has so-called continuity
    >>> RAM in two of those RIMM those slots. That means he's only got 256MB of
    >>> RDRAM, IIRC.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ted Zieglar
    >>> "You can do it if you try."
    >>>

    >>heh heh. You can be my agent or attorney anytime:
    >>
    >>From the OP's response post:
    >>
    >><paste>
    >>
    >>Slot 'RIMM_1' has 128 MB
    >>Slot 'RIMM_2' has 128 MB
    >>Slot 'RIMM_3' has 128 MB
    >>Slot 'RIMM_4' has 128 MB
    >>
    >><end>
    >>
    >>Nice try though:)
    >>

    >>Stew

    On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 09:32:37 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
    wrote:

    [. . .]

    >The way to settle it once and for all, presuming that all installed modules
    >are exactly compatible with your computer, is to go to Control Panel >
    >System and read the amount of RAM from the General tab.

    It says I've got 512 MB of RAM

    "two sticks of 128MB continuity"? Two sticks of zero MB continuity!

    Another posting by OP indicates 4x128MB... Ben Myers

    > "two sticks of 128MB continuity"? Two sticks of zero MB continuity!
    >
    > Another posting by OP indicates 4x128MB... Ben Myers

    "The crimm de la crimm", or words to that effect.

    Stew

    That line alone is worth $10.

    Ted Zieglar

    S.Lewis wrote:

    > <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    >
    >>"two sticks of 128MB continuity"? Two sticks of zero MB continuity!
    >>
    >>Another posting by OP indicates 4x128MB... Ben Myers
    >
    > "The crimm de la crimm", or words to that effect.

    OUCH! Way to go, Stew!
  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    That settles it.

    --

    > On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 09:32:37 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > [. . .]
    > >
    > >The way to settle it once and for all, presuming that all installed
    modules
    > >are exactly compatible with your computer, is to go to Control Panel >
    > >System and read the amount of RAM from the General tab.
    >
    > It says I've got 512 MB of RAM
  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:06:20 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

    [. . .]

    >Start | Run | MSCONFIG
    >
    >Under the "General" tab, click "Selective Startup" and un-click "Load
    >Startup Items." Then reboot.
    >
    >What this will do is load Windows *without* loading your (somewhat lengthy)
    >list of startup programs. Then see if the slow refresh problem persists. If
    >it doesn't, come back and I'll/we'll tell you how to load startup programs,
    >selectively, so you can sort out which ones are the culprits.
    >
    >Notan
    >
    >PS - Hey, Stew! It looks like we might owe Bill some money! :-(

    I'm getting ready for some other projects, when I get a chance I'll
    get this a try and report back. If I remember, age and all that. . .

Dell Dimension Computers