WPA and ad-hoc

Sorry to be bit vague here, but its been a while since I touched a
wireless card.

While setting up WEP mode was straight forward WPA seems a little
confusing.

When I last tried to set up access between 2 machines without any AP
present the only option I got was something which sounded like it used
no encryption ("keyless" perhaps). Was I getting hold of the wrong end
of the stick or is it not possible without an AP?

Are there any guides out there to using WPA without an AP?

Both machines running Windows XP if that makes any difference.
2 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    I'm assuming that when you reference "AP" you mean access point. AM I
    correct? You can set up 2 machines without an access point by using a
    wired router. You really wouldn't need any encryption for a setup of
    that nature. However, if you intend to, let's say, use a wireless
    notebook to network with a wired pc, you will need an access point of
    at least one wireless router. Still, it is recommended that you use
    some form of encryption (specifically WPA) to safeguard the data being
    transferred via the air from your notebook to the AP / wireless router
    and vice versa. If I misunderstood your post, I apologize.

    "Dennis" <dennisw@no.email> wrote in message
    > Sorry to be bit vague here, but its been a while since I touched a
    > wireless card.
    >
    > While setting up WEP mode was straight forward WPA seems a little
    > confusing.
    >
    > When I last tried to set up access between 2 machines without any AP
    > present the only option I got was something which sounded like it used
    > no encryption ("keyless" perhaps). Was I getting hold of the wrong end
    > of the stick or is it not possible without an AP?
    >
    > Are there any guides out there to using WPA without an AP?
    >
    > Both machines running Windows XP if that makes any difference.

    Sorry! there is currently No AdHoc support in WPA!

    WPA currently supports Infrastructure mode only!

    WPA version 2 may support Ad-hoc mode when it arrives.

    Regards

    Andrew Crook

    http://www.securelymobile.co.uk/
    Suppliers of Security, Wireless and Mobile Computer and Communication
    Solutions.

Wireless Internet Wireless Networking