SirOmega

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
Howdy all, i am the proud owner of a GeForce4 Ti 4400, and am waiting..And still waiting on a game that will take advantage of all this power. Where are the GAMES?! Now we have the Radeon 9700Pro and soon the GeForce FX 5900 Ultra, c'mon now, DirectX 9 isn't even here yet (i dont consider BETA drivers at all a sign that it's here)! Much less a game that takes FULL advantage of DirectX 8.1 and we are being asked to upgrade already? I for one will buy the GeForce FX when it ships next year, but only for the bragging rights, NOT because DOOMIII will make my GeForce4 obsolete. Just want more games other than www.stalker-game.com to come out and justify my purchase. One final note, whats AFTER the GeForce FX Ultra? How are companies going to actually get people to upgrade after THAT card?

davepermen

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
getting movies running realtime (much bether compression at always highest quality possible) with cinema cards..

making it possible to realtime convert data, compress, decompress, to encode/decode movies at highest res (HDTV) realtime, while still giving the cpu free.

moving over to raytracing to get everything possible realtime (lighting, shadowing, reflections, glass (transparency with refraction), soft shadows, global illumination, etc.. simply everything needed for making movies realtime possible without much effort from the coding side (to make it possible for _artists_ to do the movies/games..)
oh, and nivdia _ALWAYS_ knows marketing to get you buy the [-peep-] card, even while it is actually a crap card (gf4 had nothing the gf3 did not had, just a bit faster.. wow.. would not pay that much for that bit speed boost.. okay speed is nothing for me, image quality and rendering possibilities are.. as i know speed does not make realism possible)

well.. thats about it..

btw, why is the gf3/gf4 not used much yet? because the features are not much actually.. except speed.. the vertexshaders are there, but you can do it in software if you want as well, you don't loose much. the pixelshaders are mostly ridiculous (both in speed and in actual programability they are crap)..
so the bit of bumpmapped envmap does not make the additional work worhting it for most.. (its quite complicated to move a standart graphics game to use nvidia features.. at least in opengl its a fuckload of work.. in dx, well.. if you code dx8 its no that big task, but still quite a bit of reorganizing..)

dx9 is different, the whole system changed to completely other tasks.. shading is now really possible (and fast), gpu's don't have a fixed pipeline anymore.. dx9 made the step dx8 showed we'll do..

oh, and its yet there since a while for developers.. thats most important..

"take a look around" - limp bizkit

www.google.com

rubikian

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
Nvidia is making owner of GF4 Ti start to regret now for seeing the performance of NV30 is far greater... but that's how technology goes...