game crashes in SP when fighting ancients

Last response: in Video Games
Share
September 11, 2005 3:45:53 AM

Hi all,

I'm running a SP assassin through nightmare, am fighting The Ancients,
when BAM! - the game crashes. Damn, I'm thinking. So, I reload the
game, fight my way back, and it happens again!

At this point, I'm thinking that my computer has a bug, so I do some
maintenance stuff. Ultimately, I ended up reformatting my hard drive,
reinstalling Win2K, reinstalling D2LOD (Long story. My computer needed
the maintenance anyway). Ok, so NOW I think whatever is wrong MUST have
been fixed. I download the patch, and resume my quest, when....
*Crash*!

This time I noticed something. The game crashed when I cast Cloak of
Shadows while Talic was in a whirlwind. Odd. I load the game again. All
is well. I'm using CoS, but the game is ok though. Then *Crash*. Again.
I'm just casting CoS, when Talic begins his spin.

To test my theory, I go back against the ancients, but this time I DO
NOT use CoS. Guess what? No problems. None. I get the quest and move
on.

I'll send a bug report to Blizzard, but if anyone out there is having
similar problems, I'd be curious to know.

-Jason
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 9:14:56 AM

Jason wrote:
> I'll send a bug report to Blizzard, but if anyone out there is having
> similar problems, I'd be curious to know.
>
> -Jason

Sort of serves to illustrate just how tough the bastards *really* are, huh,
if they can do that to your computer, doesn't it? :-)

Seriously, I don't really have a clue other than it sounds as though your
machine might have a problem with some of the graphics animations. The only
thing I can suggest is to go to run Video Test, and set it to something
different than what you're using. IOW, if you're currently using D3D then
select Direct X and vice versa. Then run D2 and see if the same problem
occurs. That won't really "fix" the problem if it works, but if it does
you'll at least be able to run the game without worry about a crash. And
you don't really give up a lot when using DirectX anyway, although it's hard
to imagine any but a very old machine having any problems with D3D (which I
assume you're using).

--
chainbreaker
Anonymous

"Jason" <marlaque@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running a SP assassin through nightmare, am fighting The Ancients,
> when BAM! - the game crashes. Damn, I'm thinking. So, I reload the
> game, fight my way back, and it happens again!
>
> At this point, I'm thinking that my computer has a bug, so I do some
> maintenance stuff. Ultimately, I ended up reformatting my hard drive,
> reinstalling Win2K, reinstalling D2LOD (Long story. My computer needed
> the maintenance anyway). Ok, so NOW I think whatever is wrong MUST have
> been fixed. I download the patch, and resume my quest, when....
> *Crash*!
>
> This time I noticed something. The game crashed when I cast Cloak of
> Shadows while Talic was in a whirlwind. Odd. I load the game again. All
> is well. I'm using CoS, but the game is ok though. Then *Crash*. Again.
> I'm just casting CoS, when Talic begins his spin.
>
> To test my theory, I go back against the ancients, but this time I DO
> NOT use CoS. Guess what? No problems. None. I get the quest and move
> on.
>
> I'll send a bug report to Blizzard, but if anyone out there is having
> similar problems, I'd be curious to know.
>
> -Jason

Never had it happen to me, but a suggestion for a workaround would be to run
in directx instead of direct3d.
(run D2VidTst.exe)
Related resources
September 11, 2005 1:32:29 PM

Vladesch wrote:
> "Jason" <marlaque@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I'm running a SP assassin through nightmare, am fighting The Ancients,
>>when BAM! - the game crashes. Damn, I'm thinking. So, I reload the
>>game, fight my way back, and it happens again!
>>
>>At this point, I'm thinking that my computer has a bug, so I do some
>>maintenance stuff. Ultimately, I ended up reformatting my hard drive,
>>reinstalling Win2K, reinstalling D2LOD (Long story. My computer needed
>>the maintenance anyway). Ok, so NOW I think whatever is wrong MUST have
>>been fixed. I download the patch, and resume my quest, when....
>>*Crash*!
>>
>>This time I noticed something. The game crashed when I cast Cloak of
>>Shadows while Talic was in a whirlwind. Odd. I load the game again. All
>>is well. I'm using CoS, but the game is ok though. Then *Crash*. Again.
>>I'm just casting CoS, when Talic begins his spin.
>>
>>To test my theory, I go back against the ancients, but this time I DO
>>NOT use CoS. Guess what? No problems. None. I get the quest and move
>>on.
>>
>>I'll send a bug report to Blizzard, but if anyone out there is having
>>similar problems, I'd be curious to know.
>>
>>-Jason
>>

> Never had it happen to me, but a suggestion for a workaround would be to run
> in directx instead of direct3d.
> (run D2VidTst.exe)

This is a bug related to graphics animations - it has been happening to
me for a long time now. CoS, whirlwind, etc. It always happens with
Ancients, but can happen with CoS around those bird-nest thingies in
other worlds. Only have seen it with my assassin.

I've seen this problem on two systems, both using NVIDIA graphics
drivers. I'm sure Blizzard knows about it, but it's probably hard to fix
or they'd have patched it by now.
September 11, 2005 1:40:27 PM

Nobody wrote:
> Vladesch wrote:
> > "Jason" <marlaque@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Hi all,
> >>
> >>I'm running a SP assassin through nightmare, am fighting The Ancients,
> >>when BAM! - the game crashes. Damn, I'm thinking. So, I reload the
> >>game, fight my way back, and it happens again!
> >>
> >>At this point, I'm thinking that my computer has a bug, so I do some
> >>maintenance stuff. Ultimately, I ended up reformatting my hard drive,
> >>reinstalling Win2K, reinstalling D2LOD (Long story. My computer needed
> >>the maintenance anyway). Ok, so NOW I think whatever is wrong MUST have
> >>been fixed. I download the patch, and resume my quest, when....
> >>*Crash*!
> >>
> >>This time I noticed something. The game crashed when I cast Cloak of
> >>Shadows while Talic was in a whirlwind. Odd. I load the game again. All
> >>is well. I'm using CoS, but the game is ok though. Then *Crash*. Again.
> >>I'm just casting CoS, when Talic begins his spin.
> >>
> >>To test my theory, I go back against the ancients, but this time I DO
> >>NOT use CoS. Guess what? No problems. None. I get the quest and move
> >>on.
> >>
> >>I'll send a bug report to Blizzard, but if anyone out there is having
> >>similar problems, I'd be curious to know.
> >>
> >>-Jason
> >>

> > Never had it happen to me, but a suggestion for a workaround would be to run
> > in directx instead of direct3d.
> > (run D2VidTst.exe)
>
> This is a bug related to graphics animations - it has been happening to
> me for a long time now. CoS, whirlwind, etc. It always happens with
> Ancients, but can happen with CoS around those bird-nest thingies in
> other worlds. Only have seen it with my assassin.
>
> I've seen this problem on two systems, both using NVIDIA graphics
> drivers. I'm sure Blizzard knows about it, but it's probably hard to fix
> or they'd have patched it by now.

Interesting... I AM using an NVIDIA graphics card, on a 733Mhz PII HP
computer that I bought way back in 2000. Anyway, I submitted the bug to
Blizzard. What more can I do, except to warn people to not us CoS when
fighting The Ancients?

-Jason
September 11, 2005 4:38:03 PM

I've had this happen to me to in SP, also using an assassin. also had
the problem when using the chaos claw and using whirlwind. My char.
would just keep spinning and not stop. Only way out was to exit game.

On the ancients, when it would crash it always happen with the WW
ancient and mine seemed more random - sometimes it would sometimes not
with or without Cos. (By the way, does CoS work on the ancients?
Since to me it doesn't seem to work on Baal, D and other high end
bosses).

bob

On 10 Sep 2005 23:45:53 -0700, "Jason" <marlaque@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm running a SP assassin through nightmare, am fighting The Ancients,
>when BAM! - the game crashes. Damn, I'm thinking. So, I reload the
>game, fight my way back, and it happens again!
snip

>I'll send a bug report to Blizzard, but if anyone out there is having
>similar problems, I'd be curious to know.
>
>-Jason
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 9:21:42 PM

On that special day, Jason, (marlaque@hotmail.com) said...

> What more can I do, except to warn people to not us CoS when
> fighting The Ancients?

Tell them to be careful in Andy's foyer with home portals, if you are
running around with lotsa skellies. That's where *my* game crashed, on
a NVIDIA GeForce 6600

Obviously, there is something wrong with the video rendering (in former
times, these thingies were called sprites. Too many on top of each
other, I guess.

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

just so, at no cost.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 10:10:26 PM

Gabriele Neukam wrote:

> Obviously, there is something wrong with the video rendering (in former
> times, these thingies were called sprites. Too many on top of each
> other, I guess.

Interesting. I also have an NVIDIA something or other. My game will
crash sometimes - everything freezes, can't even Alt-Tab out, just
restart computer -, and I have never been able to attribute it to
anything in particular (i.e., a certain spell), except for the fact
that there is a ton of things happening at the time. I've always
suspected that the "overload" of action has somehow jammed the game.

Jill
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 11:02:23 AM

i have a strange problem in SP when I play barbs. Every now and again (once
or twice a week) my barb just gets stuck. can't move, TP or anything, only
solution is to quit the game. strange

cheers
adam

"bob" <bob@notarealaddress.com> wrote in message
> I've had this happen to me to in SP, also using an assassin. also had
> the problem when using the chaos claw and using whirlwind. My char.
> would just keep spinning and not stop. Only way out was to exit game.
>
> On the ancients, when it would crash it always happen with the WW
> ancient and mine seemed more random - sometimes it would sometimes not
> with or without Cos. (By the way, does CoS work on the ancients?
> Since to me it doesn't seem to work on Baal, D and other high end
> bosses).
>
> bob
>

> On 10 Sep 2005 23:45:53 -0700, "Jason" <marlaque@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I'm running a SP assassin through nightmare, am fighting The Ancients,
>>when BAM! - the game crashes. Damn, I'm thinking. So, I reload the
>>game, fight my way back, and it happens again!
> snip
>>
>>I'll send a bug report to Blizzard, but if anyone out there is having
>>similar problems, I'd be curious to know.
>>
>>-Jason

September 13, 2005 4:13:11 PM

Adam Sawyer wrote:
> i have a strange problem in SP when I play barbs. Every now and again (once
> or twice a week) my barb just gets stuck. can't move, TP or anything, only
> solution is to quit the game. strange

I've seen this before in 1.10, and sometimes casting a TP will let you
break it (if it appears close enough). Weapon switch works, sometimes,
too. I've seen this twice after clicking on a rat's nest in the corner
of a barrier inside an cul-de-sac room of the A2 tombs. Portals won't
let you out because they appear too far away - you have to exit the game
using escape. This could be a lag issue where the client shows you being
in one place when you're actually elsewhere. I'm not sure if waiting a
while will solve the problem - sometimes the client "catches up" -

It's too bad Blizz doesn't allow you to resynch the client when this
happens. Other network games (netrek) I've played allow you to request a
full update using a special key. Instead, you have to wait and pray...
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 5:52:50 PM

I think it was "Adam Sawyer" <pennywyz@iinet.net.au> that wrote
something like...

>i have a strange problem in SP when I play barbs. Every now and again (once
>or twice a week) my barb just gets stuck. can't move, TP or anything, only
>solution is to quit the game. strange
>
>cheers
>adam

Have you tried doing a weapon switch? That can fix some of the
character freeze problems.
Or by quit the game do you mean hitting alt-F4?

Ashen Shugar
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule!
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 2:30:28 AM

True to internet form and protocol, Nobody <anonymous@bogus.invalid>
said:

-->Adam Sawyer wrote:
-->> i have a strange problem in SP when I play barbs. Every now and
again (once
-->> or twice a week) my barb just gets stuck. can't move, TP or
anything, only
-->> solution is to quit the game. strange

-->This could be a lag issue where the client shows you being
-->in one place when you're actually elsewhere. I'm not sure if
waiting a
-->while will solve the problem - sometimes the client "catches up" -
-->
-->It's too bad Blizz doesn't allow you to resynch the client when
this
-->happens. Other network games (netrek) I've played allow you to
request a
-->full update using a special key. Instead, you have to wait and
pray...

Actually, it's happenned to me a few times in SP. Darn shame, too. lvl
47 barb turns into stone and then poor merc has to fend off beasties
by his lonesome self. TP did not work, nor did weapon switch (although
the weapons did switch, he just stayed frozen), or F1, or skill
switch, nothin'.

I guess he couldn't resist looking back at Sodom and Gomorrah. Hell, I
wouldn't have left !!!

Dr Fleau
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 9:17:53 PM

I could still get the game menu up and quit like that. then just make
another game and all, it was my barb that was frozen not the game itself.
never happened with any other character. It's been happening to me for
years, across multiple systems and installs. Just barbs :(

cheers
Draken-Korin

"Ashen Shugar" <deathsabyss@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>I think it was "Adam Sawyer" <pennywyz@iinet.net.au> that wrote
> something like...
>
>>i have a strange problem in SP when I play barbs. Every now and again
>>(once
>>or twice a week) my barb just gets stuck. can't move, TP or anything, only
>>solution is to quit the game. strange
>>
>>cheers
>>adam
>>

> Have you tried doing a weapon switch? That can fix some of the
> character freeze problems.
> Or by quit the game do you mean hitting alt-F4?
>
> Ashen Shugar
> --
> The lions sing and the hills take flight.
> The moon by day, and the sun by night.
> Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
> Let the Lord of Chaos rule!
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 3:42:13 PM

Adam Sawyer wrote:
> I could still get the game menu up and quit like that. then just make
> another game and all, it was my barb that was frozen not the game
> itself. never happened with any other character. It's been happening
> to me for years, across multiple systems and installs. Just barbs :(
>
> cheers
> Draken-Korin

Hey, didn't Ashen Shugar kill Draken-Korin? Draken was the cat Valheru dude
right? Ashen's son/brother.

Sorry, back to your regular schedule..........
--
~misfit~

!