4in1 4.35
PSU: 400W - Make unknown.
256Mb (2x128 SDRAM 133Mhz)
GF4 4200 MyVivo 128Mb - 30.82 Dets
W98SE
SB Live 128
Cannon S600,Philips WebCam (USB),BoederSmart Scan (USB), CD-R, CD-RW

Hi all!

First, thanks to all those that gave help with previous posts (After installing the GF4 4200 I had some serious stability problems, I now have a new PSU and a complete fresh install of Windows/Drivers etc).

I've been running my current setup with the new PSU/Re-install of Windows for 2 weeks and not a single crash (OK, 1 when scanning/manipulating an image of 150MB in Adobe but I can accept that).

Now, all of a sudden and what seems like on a random basis, when I enter Windows the monitor turns off as if it were entering power save mode. Moving the mouse, using the keyboard does not re-awaken it, however, if I hit CTRL-ALT-DEL a few times it reboots, I get Scandisk, enter Windows and then I can play 3 hours of Jedi II without a crash.

The problem is that it doesn't always happen. I'm not sure if this is related, but when Adobe crashed, the monitor turned off as well, but DID reawaken when I moved the mouse.

Any ideas?

More about : monitor turns

November 23, 2002 7:06:36 PM

I hate to state the obvious, but did you check the cabeling? The last time that I thought I had burnt out my video card, it wound up that the monitor cable had become half unplugged from the computer.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.
November 24, 2002 5:45:27 PM

I have had this happen to me. After changing some display settings the problem stopped. If you have some add-on display control software, such as ExpertTool, Fuzzy Logic or PC Alert, there could be a conflict in the way they interact with you monitor. Open the 'Display Properties' and click 'Advanced'. Check-out all of the options to see if every thing is set according to your needs/desires. I have a View Sonic A75f monitor and a Gainward GeForce 4 Ti4200 Ultra 650 card. I can not go higher than a 75Hz refresh rate or the video crashes. Fuzzy Logic gives me problems. So I had to shut it down. (DON'T BUY GAINWARD, THE SUPPORT IS NON-EXSISTANT)

Charlie Chan
!