hp compaq nc6000

Does anybody know if it's possible to upgrade my hp compaq nc6000 to
802.11g?

It uses "HP WLAN 802.11a/b W500" and AEGIS Protocol (IEEE 802.1x) v2.3.1.9

Is your wireless notebook card inserted in one of the two card slots?
If so, then you should be able to remove it and replace it with a
wireless g notebook card. If it is built in, I'm sure sure if you
can. Then again, anything is possible.

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:32:15 +0200, Willhe wrote:

> Does anybody know if it's possible to upgrade my hp compaq nc6000 to
> 802.11g?
>
> It uses "HP WLAN 802.11a/b W500" and AEGIS Protocol (IEEE 802.1x) v2.3.1.9

It's definitely a hardware upgrade.

For other brands such as Dell and IBM, the models I know about offer access
to the mini-pci cards through a small 'hatch' on the bottom of the machine
with one or two screws holding the cover on.

You can also go the web site of these machines and download a maintenance
manual in pdf form. You should try to do the same for your machine at
HP/Compaq.

Since 11b and 11g use the same frequency, the built in antenna should be
fine. Don't forget to deal with the antenna connector which is also
attached to the card, when you remove and replace the current card.

--
Barry

No, it's not a PCMCIA-card. I think it's mini-PCI. I would like to know if
it's possible to upgrade without new hardware.

"Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is your wireless notebook card inserted in one of the two card slots?
> If so, then you should be able to remove it and replace it with a
> wireless g notebook card. If it is built in, I'm sure sure if you
> can. Then again, anything is possible.
>
> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:32:15 +0200, "Willhe" <news@willhe.com> wrote:
>
> >Does anybody know if it's possible to upgrade my hp compaq nc6000 to
> >802.11g?
> >
> >It uses "HP WLAN 802.11a/b W500" and AEGIS Protocol (IEEE 802.1x)
v2.3.1.9

I could be wrong, but more than likely, you will not be able to
upgrade without new hardware. Again, I could be wrong. To the
contrary, it wouldn't be beneficial to the manufacturer to allow for a
software upgrade in a rapidly expanding market. Some makers of
wireless products wouldn't even allow for the software upgrade from
WEP to WPA. Anyway, I hope I'm wrong. Take care.

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 23:32:52 +0200, "Willhe" <news@willhe.com> wrote:

>No, it's not a PCMCIA-card. I think it's mini-PCI. I would like to know if
>it's possible to upgrade without new hardware.
>

>"Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Is your wireless notebook card inserted in one of the two card slots?
>> If so, then you should be able to remove it and replace it with a
>> wireless g notebook card. If it is built in, I'm sure sure if you
>> can. Then again, anything is possible.
>>
>> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:32:15 +0200, "Willhe" <news@willhe.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Does anybody know if it's possible to upgrade my hp compaq nc6000 to
>> >802.11g?
>> >
>> >It uses "HP WLAN 802.11a/b W500" and AEGIS Protocol (IEEE 802.1x)
>v2.3.1.9

Andy

Barry Jones <bjones01@acm.org> wrote in message news:<1xixw95h53ub5.vwcnxih501aj.dlg@40tude.net>...
> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:32:15 +0200, Willhe wrote:
>
> > Does anybody know if it's possible to upgrade my hp compaq nc6000 to
> > 802.11g?
> >
> > It uses "HP WLAN 802.11a/b W500" and AEGIS Protocol (IEEE 802.1x) v2.3.1.9
>
> It's definitely a hardware upgrade.
>
> For other brands such as Dell and IBM, the models I know about offer access
> to the mini-pci cards through a small 'hatch' on the bottom of the machine
> with one or two screws holding the cover on.
>
> You can also go the web site of these machines and download a maintenance
> manual in pdf form. You should try to do the same for your machine at
> HP/Compaq.
>
> Since 11b and 11g use the same frequency, the built in antenna should be
> fine. Don't forget to deal with the antenna connector which is also
> attached to the card, when you remove and replace the current card.

I've seen several posts on upgrading the internal wireless card on HP
NC4000 - 8000 series notebooks. The good news is it can be done, but
only if you use HP hardware.

However in your case if you really have the W500 module then you
already have 802.11 a/b/g.

Good Luck