Sign in with
Your question

File sharing programs crashing my system

Last response: in Windows XP
January 29, 2004 7:15:48 PM

Hi there...when ever I run Kazaa Lite or eMule...my PC crashes. I'm running XP SP1. All other programs/sofware is stable. What gives? Is there some setting I have to make on my LAN card? I can't think what else could be affected from these programs. I have P4 2.6G, 1G RAM...so I don't have a horespower issue! The LAN nic is on board my ASUS P4P800 Deluxe MB.
thnx for any input...
January 31, 2004 5:45:42 PM

What error message are you getting? Does the whole system crash or just the program? What kind of firewall are you running and do you have any info about the settings? If you frequently fileshare you should defrag the hdd. What changes to the system were made prior to this error? Sounds like you do have enough hardware but it could be as simple as one setting somewhere that will fix the program.

A7n8x dlx 1004 Uber Agressive settings
2500Barton (Bastards locked it) Radeon 9200
WD 60g @7200w 8mg Cache Crucial 2700 2x 256
AMD ME??? Yeah they did me alright.
January 31, 2004 6:57:40 PM

could be a virus effecting your system when you just run kazaa.......... what virus scanner you running?

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/vivo 128mb 8x
Hitachi CML174
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Cas2
Related resources
January 31, 2004 10:24:25 PM

There IS a spyware program in Kazaa (one of the billions!) but also in many versions of Lite, if you go into add / remove programs there is a proggy called P2P Networking - it caused my pc to crash ALL the time, and many others. Simply uninstalling KLite wont do it either, nor will spybot.

ps this may not be the problem but i know it has happened to a lot of people!

XP2000, 256ddr 2100ram, GF4 MX440, XP Pro
February 1, 2004 4:18:21 AM

id say Immediatly run Adaware, and then DEFF run a good Virus Scanner..

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/vivo 128mb 8x
Hitachi CML174
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Cas2
February 1, 2004 6:49:08 AM

Are you fully updated?

There are post SP1a vulnerablities that let people reboot your computer remotely.

Go to Windows Update and make sure you have all the critical updates. Get Adaware, update it and scan your system. Update your Antivirus and scan your system. No AV, download Avast (free for home use). Defrag your hard drives.

Also do you leave your computer up 24/7 or only when using these programs. Maybe you PC always crashed when you leave in on for long periods?

The latest VIA 4 in 1 drivers make my old PC crash when I use my lan card for prolonged periods. Crashed everytime I tried to move 10GB between computers. Restored form a backup before I updated and everything is fine.

Try running Kazaa with below normal base priority. Kazaa is a real resource hog. My PC gets unstable if some program uses 90-99% of my CPU resources for 5+ hours, unless I set that program to below normal. I have seen Kazaa suddenly start using 90+% for no apparent reason.

Install Sandra 2003 and run the burn in wizard for several hours. Thats a good way to test system stability.

Download memtest86, boot form CD or Floppy and test your memory. Maybe one of your modules has gone bad?

If you recently upgraded your Lan drivers (maybe via window update which often suggests bad/wrong drivers) then try rolling back your drivers.

Thats all I can think of for now.
!