Radeon 7500 stinks!!

vikaschowdhry

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2002
Hello All
I had earlier posted a mail here advising to buy a Radeon 7500. I strongly regret that and take back that advice. Specially if you have a monitor that is larger than 17" then buying a Radeon 7500 is an absolute waste of money. My radeon card works fine with a 15" monitor but as soon as I plug in my new NEC Accusync 90 which is a 19" beauty I get terrible ghosting and fuzzy text.
At first I thought that it is my monitor. But then I plugged in my monitor into onboard graphics(Intel 810) and it worked like a dream at 1280*1024@85 Hz. At the same setting on Radeon I was getting fuzzy text and a lot of headache.
It looks like the Radeon 7500 simply does not provide strong enough signal for 19" monitor.
I simply wish that they would mention this fact somewhere on their website. On second thoughts probably it is asking for too much from ATI because this is a company that has not been able to provide decent drivers for linux in ages.
But I hope that members of this community would take a lesson from my experience and stay away from atleast Radeon 7500. I for one am not going to touch any Radeon ever again.

TheGame

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2002
LOL, dude just because you got one bad card doesnt mean that you have to judge their whole line on that, i for one am running a Radeon 7500 with a Samsung 955DF (19 inch monitor), RUNS PERFECT, you got a bad card, one of those comes up everyonce in a while.

-TheGame-

vikaschowdhry

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2002
Well fine then. I will go to Best Buy tomorrow morning first thing and get a replacement. I will post the result here and I hope that I am proved wrong because this was the only Dual Display PCI card that I could find.

Another thing..I was under the impression that you cannot have output from your onboard graphics and the graphics card at the same time. Interestingly, under my current configuration, my 19" monitor is plugged into onboard graphics while the 15" is in the 7500 and I am able to extend my desktop across both and it looks like if I had a third monitor I would be able to configure 3.

Does that mean that if I go just for Radeon 7000 I would be able to still get dual display working with one monitor getting signal from onboard 810?

TheGame

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2002
ehh couldnt tell ya, i wouldnt own a board with onboard graphics, and as far as PCI video cards go, if your not happy with ATI go with the GeForce2 MX400 32mb or 64mb TwinView, theres your PCI dual monitor card, good luck with the video card.

-TheGame-

vikaschowdhry

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2002
I really was hoping that I would prove to be wrong. I got a brand new card from Best Buy(thanks to their excellent returns policy) but unfortunately the same ghosting and the same fuzziness of text on the larger monitor was apparent.

Again with onboard graphics it went away. So I think I will stand by my earlier opinion that buy a 7500 with a pinch of salt. Unless if anyone thinks that this is a problem because of my card not getting enought power or whatever from my motherboard's PCI slot because I have an old Celeron 667 Motherboard. I dont know if this is a possibility as I am not a hardware guy. So for now, I think it is 7500 that is at fault.

I would have loved to have a nVidia PCI with VGA and DVI output but unfortunately I have not been able to locate a single card. Can anyone suggest?

oymd

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001
Mr. Vikaschowdhry
Seriously..do you really think that the integrated video of the " Intel 810 " is more powerful or superior to the 7500???
Also...u're talking about a really old product here...dont you think its a little strange that u're like the only one who has suffered this problem with this card ever since it was released.... :)

bikeman

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
Note: This is not about power of the solution, it is about RAMDAC and output-filter quality. Considering those two topics, some TNT2's actually could 'outperform' (read: had better ones of those) GeForce's and GeForce2's . Though a lot depends on the card manufacturers implementation.
It is surprising, though, to see an ATI-card with problems of that kind. ATI normally has good to very good output quality. Yes, maybe it is a PNY-card, and maybe they saved some cents on putting in bad filters. Surprising, though ...

Greetz,
Bikeman

<i>Then again, that's just my opinion</i>

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
I'm wondering if turning off the integrated graphics in the bios will solve anything. From what I understand Vika has both the onboard and the ATI card working simultaniously.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

johnoh

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
Based on the symptons I would say the only issue here is output signal strength. I have a nvidia Ti4200 which produces ghosting on my 22" monitor but using an ATI 8500le the picture is fine. I would have expected otherwise.

His issue could be the fact that he is using a pci slot, or who knows his cable might be lame or too long.

To answer the latest question though yes you can get dual monitor using on board video for monitor one and a single monitor pci card for monitor two.

<i>Reason the only absolute. Irrationality the only enemy </i>

vikaschowdhry

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2002
Even I thought that PNY does that and these people shamelessly plug that card by saying this on their box:

"Integrated Dual 350MHz DACs drives two independent CRT displays with crisp and clear image quality at 2048 x 1536 resolution at 75Hz."

But the picture on the box showed just one VGA and one S-video output so I asked the sales rep at Best Buy as to how this was possible. He adviced me to buy the card anyways and then open it at the store only to see if it has dual VGA or VGA/DVI output. I did so and found that there is just one VGA and one S video output. So much for two crisp CRT outputs. So I returned the card and stuck to my only choica the ghostly Radeon 7500.

vikaschowdhry

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2002
No ways did I say at any point that Intel 810 is more powerful or superior to 7500. Even with my acknowledged limited knowledge of this stuff I know that 7500 is far superior and that is why I bought this card. Infact if you leave the text resolution apart, the card is awesome in DVD playback and I see movies at 1280*1024@85Hz something impossible on 810. And not only that...that addition of this card has improved the overall performance of my system and has probably added about 6 months of life to my system.

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
are there any cables that could be causing interference around your system (eg heavy duty power cables in the wall, nearby powered & unshielded speakers or the like) this can effect your picture...

I assume that if you go back to your old screen the picure is fine again ???

Can you try any diff displays with your 7500... eg get a friend to try it with their screen...

no-one shouts louder than someone who is being ignored, or in the case of techies, to be heard over the noise of their PC's ;-)