ASUS V8420 and Gigabyte 6BXE

herge

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2002
Hi!
I really got a problem here.
I recently purchased a GeFoce4 Ti 4200 (ASUS V8420) to replace my outdated GeForce2MX (Creative).
Now my Monitor goes black (like I'm losing the monitor signal) when I try to play games, mainly CounterStrike, but also other games. Sometimes I can play for half an hour, somtimes not more then a few minutes.
This is my specs:
Windows XP Proffesional, legit copy and registered.
Gigabyte 6BXE v.2.0
Intel Pentium III 600 Mhz
512 RAM
IBM-DJNA-371350
3Com 3c905B-TX
Philips PCRW804
TEAC CD-532E-A
Compaq S710
And this is what I've tried to solve the problem:
1. Several different drivers. NVIDIA's Detonator drivers, both old and latest and beta's. ASUS drivers, both their own and the ones based on NVIDIA's drivers. Both new and older. All in all maybe 6-7 different drivers, with complete uninstall between.
2. Upgraded to latest BIOS available from Gigabyte.
3. Bought a new case+powersupply (340 W) for better cooling of the card and sufficient power. Now I have 5 fans in the case, with one right over the PCI slot.
4. Latest drivers for my Compaq monitor.
5. Elaborated with different refreshrates.
6. Changed from ACPI to Standard PC to get an IRQ of its own.
7. Reinstalled the whole operating system.
8. Tried closing the jumpers (JP18, JP19) on the motherboard.
9. Updated the AGP controller drivers.

I Tried the card at another computer with similar specs and it works like a charm, the main difference is the mobo.

I'm falling to pieces here!
What more can I do?

ps. no errors in the EventLog

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by herge on 11/23/02 03:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It still sounds like a power issue though, are you certain the new supply is that good? Anyway, it could be heat of the card also (you should have an empty slot under the card), or it could even be too little power to the AGP slot caused by a board design problem. That last one is fixable by soldering a wire from a power supply 3.3v input to the AGP slot's 3.3v output along the back of the board, easily done if you can figure out which pins those are.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>