Path 1.11b + linux = Unknown Exception

Hello!

I was playing under wine/winex for 2.5 year and till yesterday everything
was woring great. I didnt do anything in my system and now i have sgrange
problems.

I can:
- connect to BNet
- join channel
- play single player

I cant:
- play/create open or tcp/ip games
- join/create games on BN

Every time when i try to create/join game i get error:

http://blaszak.hopto.org/d2/error.jpg

"Unhandled Exception 80000100"

I tried to reinstall game but din't help

I used cedega 4.3, 4.4.1, tried to use wine but in wine after 1.11b
doesn't even start.

I lunch Diablo II without any third party stuff, no plugins, d2loaders etc.

I wonder... Blizard fight witch cheaters, mh-users, dupers but since then
there is only more lags and problems for legal users...

Thanks for any hints that can help me in backing to BN
--
\!/ Kadu: #2940543
( @ @ ) mailto:dimmur-(at)-z-pl

    On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 00:50:00 +0200, DimmuR <no@address.hehe> wrote:

    >> Hello!
    >>
    >> I was playing under wine/winex for 2.5 year and till yesterday everything
    >> was woring great. I didnt do anything in my system and now i have sgrange
    >> problems.

    Please post a fairly complete description of how you managed this... I'm
    stumped at the first stage (installation).

    I've played D2 for centuries (so it seems) under Windows, and desire to
    migrate to Linux (CentOS 4.1 at the moment).

    I have Forte Agent running under the latest wine. Looking for further
    steps forward.

    --

    Chaos Empire mod: Webwalker

    > Hello!
    >
    > I was playing under wine/winex for 2.5 year and till yesterday everything
    > was woring great. I didnt do anything in my system and now i have sgrange
    > problems.
    >
    > I can:
    > - connect to BNet
    > - join channel
    > - play single player
    >
    > I cant:
    > - play/create open or tcp/ip games
    > - join/create games on BN

    Hi,
    same problem here. Don't have a solution yet :-(

    Pewnego razu, a by³o to Sat, 17 Sep 2005 11:47:59 +0000, Brian Brunner
    wykombinowa³ sobie co nastêpuje:

    > Please post a fairly complete description of how you managed this... I'm
    > stumped at the first stage (installation).
    >
    > I've played D2 for centuries (so it seems) under Windows, and desire to
    > migrate to Linux (CentOS 4.1 at the moment).

    It's nothing special to talk about... I just install cedega, put Diablo II
    CD Install in DVD, run cedega <path_to_cd>/setup.exe
    and follow the steps.

    The same was working under wine - i almost had no problems (under wine i
    needed to use d2loader to obey copy protection)

    But now I have to stop playing diablo 2... it's not working not only for
    me (I meet guy who has exact the same problem)

    --
    \!/ Kadu: #2940543
    ( @ @ ) mailto:dimmur-(at)-z-pl
    oOO-(_)-OOo Registered Linux user: #277278
    D.I.M.M.U.R.: Digital Intelligent Machine Manufactured for Ultimate
    Repair

    Pewnego razu, a by³o to Sat, 17 Sep 2005 13:15:06 +0200, Uwe Weber
    wykombinowa³ sobie co nastêpuje:

    > Hi,
    > same problem here. Don't have a solution yet :-(

    I think it's because new securities in diablo 2 for 3rd party stuff.
    Maybe in next cedega version it will be working...

    Now my chars have holidays till it get working :|

    --
    \!/ Kadu: #2940543
    ( @ @ ) mailto:dimmur-(at)-z-pl
    oOO-(_)-OOo Registered Linux user: #277278
    D.I.M.M.U.R.: Digital Intelligent Machine Manufactured for Ultimate
    Repair

    >> Hi,
    >> same problem here. Don't have a solution yet :-(
    >
    > I think it's because new securities in diablo 2 for 3rd party stuff.
    > Maybe in next cedega version it will be working...
    >
    > Now my chars have holidays till it get working :|

    I have just checked the Transgaming support forum. There is a thread
    discussing this issue... without any solution. But good to know that there a
    are other users already reported this problem to Transgaming.

    Have fun
    Uwe

    DimmuR schrieb:

    > I can:
    > - connect to BNet
    > - join channel
    > - play single player
    >
    > I cant:
    > - play/create open or tcp/ip games
    > - join/create games on BN

    No problem here with german 1.11b and cedega, tested 2 minutes ago.
    Just connected to Europe realm and created a ladder game.

    I am using Debian etch, kernel 2.6.12.1.k7, xserver-xorg
    6.8.2.dfsg.1-6 with nvidia drivers built as described in
    http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/installation.html.
    Cedega is the 4.3.2 Transgaming-provided deb.

    j.

    Pewnego razu, a by³o to Mon, 19 Sep 2005 07:01:10 +0200, Jürgen Freitag
    wykombinowa³ sobie co nastêpuje:

    am using Debian etch, kernel 2.6.12.1.k7, xserver-xorg 6.8.2.dfsg.1-6
    > with nvidia drivers built as described in
    > http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/installation.html. Cedega is
    > the 4.3.2 Transgaming-provided deb.

    Great to hear that it's possible to run it under linux even in 1.11b
    I'm also using Debian but i was testing kernel 2.6.11.12 and the same xorg.

    Maybe the problem is with Radeon cards? The only 1 thing i cant change atm
    is just viedo card. I'm compiling 2.6.13 kernel so soon I'll see if it
    works.

    Thanks for grat news - there is still hope...

    --

    DimmuR schrieb:

    > Maybe the problem is with Radeon cards? The only 1 thing i cant
    > change atm is just viedo card.

    Which video mode are you using, DirectDraw od Direct3D? You might want
    to give the other one a try...

    > I'm compiling 2.6.13 kernel so soon I'll see if it works.

    Well, maybe you'd better first try the cedega I'm using. Actually
    that's the software D2 directly has to collaborate with, and I suspect
    the problem to live there. That's what it looks like here:

    |juergen@scotland:~$ LC_ALL=C sudo apt-cache policy cedega
    |cedega:
    | Installed: 4.3.2-1
    | Candidate: 4.3.2-1
    | Version Table:
    | *** 4.3.2-1 0
    | 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    |juergen@scotland:~$

    j.

    Jürgen Freitag wrote:

    > DimmuR schrieb:
    >
    >> Maybe the problem is with Radeon cards? The only 1 thing i cant
    >> change atm is just viedo card.
    >
    > Which video mode are you using, DirectDraw od Direct3D? You might want
    > to give the other one a try...
    >
    >> I'm compiling 2.6.13 kernel so soon I'll see if it works.
    >
    > Well, maybe you'd better first try the cedega I'm using. Actually
    > that's the software D2 directly has to collaborate with, and I suspect
    > the problem to live there. That's what it looks like here:
    >
    > |juergen@scotland:~$ LC_ALL=C sudo apt-cache policy cedega
    > |cedega:
    > | Installed: 4.3.2-1
    > | Candidate: 4.3.2-1
    > | Version Table:
    > | *** 4.3.2-1 0
    > | 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    > |juergen@scotland:~$

    D2 works as usual at my site

    Debian Sarge
    WineX 3.3.2-1
    Kernel 2.6.8
    Nvidia Driver 1.0-7174

    I know of a laptop with NT4.0 which stoped working 3 days after 1.10.
    I think it is possible that the new hack detection in 1.10 has been
    activated 3 days after 1.10 patch may needs a newer version of a
    system dll which is not delivered by the patch.

    <speculation>
    On my linux box I tried to install Google Earth, with no avail.
    I managed to install the software but it doesen't work.
    Maybe the installation of Google Eath has updated my system in
    a way that LoD 1.10 works.
    </speculation>

    Koile

    Pewnego razu, a by³o to Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:40:34 +0200, Jürgen Freitag
    wykombinowa³ sobie co nastêpuje:

    > Which video mode are you using, DirectDraw od Direct3D? You might want to
    > give the other one a try...

    I cant even use D3D (i have R9200 with D3D support) because configuration
    tool rashes while testing so I use DD

    >> I'm compiling 2.6.13 kernel so soon I'll see if it works.
    >
    > Well, maybe you'd better first try the cedega I'm using. Actually that's
    > the software D2 directly has to collaborate with, and I suspect the
    > problem to live there. That's what it looks like here:

    I use the same version of cedega (tried 4.3.2 and 4.4.1) as You listed
    blow. I try 2.6.13 kernel because there wasp roblems cedega vs 2.6.x
    kernels (I know that it was copy protection but never knows...)

    The last thing is to replace Ati card with Nvidia card... I'm stating to
    be sick of haveing problems with Ati cards...

    --
    \!/ Kadu: #2940543
    ( @ @ ) mailto:dimmur-(at)-z-pl
    oOO-(_)-OOo Registered Linux user: #277278
    D.I.M.M.U.R.: Digital Intelligent Machine Manufactured for Ultimate
    Repair

    Pewnego razu, a by³o to Mon, 19 Sep 2005 14:09:45 +0200, Koile
    wykombinowa³ sobie co nastêpuje:

    > Debian Sarge
    > WineX 3.3.2-1
    > Kernel 2.6.8
    > Nvidia Driver 1.0-7174

    I'm starting to suspect that it's because of radeon / fglrx drivers...
    You both use debian, both kernel 2.6 and Nvidia and it's working for You...

    --

    DimmuR wrote:

    > Pewnego razu, a by?o to Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:40:34 +0200, Jürgen Freitag
    > wykombinowa? sobie co nast?puje:

    >> Which video mode are you using, DirectDraw od Direct3D? You might want to
    >> give the other one a try...

    > I cant even use D3D (i have R9200 with D3D support) because configuration
    > tool rashes while testing so I use DD

    On my site D3D works with WineX and LoD runs fine. (I use DD)
    The NT Laptop had no D3D support and LoD 1.11 crashed
    DimmuR has no D3D support and Lod crashed

    So how about Uwe and Juergen? Do you have a working D3D support?

    When the soundcard is disabled or the game has been started with -ns swich
    in commandline the game will crash whenever a cinematic starts. Even if you
    play in windowed mode without cinematics.

    Following this logic it could be possible, that LoD requires hardware 3d
    support to work, even if the game is configured for DD.

    Koile

    Koile schrieb:

    > So how about Uwe and Juergen? Do you have a working D3D support?

    I use D3D, and it does fine. All options (including "perspective")
    from Options / Grahpics Options are available and working.
    Without "nvidia" X driver I had to use DD, D3D crashed without notice.

    > When the soundcard is disabled or the game has been started with -ns swich
    > in commandline the game will crash whenever a cinematic starts. Even if you
    > play in windowed mode without cinematics.

    Yes, without sound access (/dev/dsp opened by another program) the
    game crashes after every act, which is a heavy tradeoff if you'd like
    to use TeamSpeak or something similar.

    Does anyone know if and, assumed there is such a possibility, how D2
    can be made to use something like arts or esd? (esd more appreciated,
    as I'm GNOME user)

    What does -ns do? I only knew about -skiptobnet, which I alwys use,
    and -w for windowed mode.

    > Following this logic it could be possible, that LoD requires hardware 3d
    > support to work, even if the game is configured for DD.

    At least wrong till 1.10, maybe even 1.11. I played D2 with cedega
    withous problems with "vesa"-xfree86-drivers quite a time.

    j.

    Jürgen Freitag wrote:

    >> So how about Uwe and Juergen? Do you have a working D3D support?

    > I use D3D, and it does fine. All options (including "perspective")
    > from Options / Grahpics Options are available and working.
    > Without "nvidia" X driver I had to use DD, D3D crashed without notice.

    That's what I expected. And if Uwe has no working D3D support in wine,
    it could have something to do with D3D.

    >> When the soundcard is disabled or the game has been started with -ns
    >> swich in commandline the game will crash whenever a cinematic starts.
    >> Even if you play in windowed mode without cinematics.

    > Yes, without sound access (/dev/dsp opened by another program) the
    > game crashes after every act, which is a heavy tradeoff if you'd like
    > to use TeamSpeak or something similar.

    > Does anyone know if and, assumed there is such a possibility, how D2
    > can be made to use something like arts or esd? (esd more appreciated,
    > as I'm GNOME user)

    I didn' t spend any energy in this issue, but I read that it should
    be possible to create multiple 'virtual sound devices' with alsa.
    Using one with OSS emulation for wine and another one for teamspeak
    would be a nice solution.

    > What does -ns do? I only knew about -skiptobnet, which I alwys use,
    > and -w for windowed mode.

    -ns is the same as -nosound
    see http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=551

    >> Following this logic it could be possible, that LoD requires hardware 3d
    >> support to work, even if the game is configured for DD.

    > At least wrong till 1.10, maybe even 1.11. I played D2 with cedega
    > withous problems with "vesa"-xfree86-drivers quite a time.

    Yes, this behavour is new with 1.11.
    The NT laptop worked until 3 days after 1.11.
    DimmuR's worked much longer, so it seems that this behavour must be triggerd
    by something or someone.
    Maybe it's a server side hack and cheat dectection which does not apply to
    all users at once.

    Koile

    Koile schrieb:

    >>I use D3D, and it does fine.
    > That's what I expected. And if Uwe has no working D3D support in wine,
    > it could have something to do with D3D.

    Ok, so I'll do a test later today: Revert to nv or vesa driver, select
    DD and have a look what happens.

    > I didn' t spend any energy in this issue, but I read that it should
    > be possible to create multiple 'virtual sound devices' with alsa.
    > Using one with OSS emulation for wine and another one for teamspeak
    > would be a nice solution.

    Thanks for the pointer, I'll investigate on this.

    j.

    Jürgen Freitag schrieb:

    >>That's what I expected. And if Uwe has no working D3D support in wine,
    >>it could have something to do with D3D.
    >
    > Ok, so I'll do a test later today: Revert to nv or vesa driver, select
    > DD and have a look what happens.

    I just tried the vesa variant. Reran D2VidTst.exe, only DD was
    available now. Selected it, started D2.
    Joined Battle.net and created a game without experiencing any
    problem.

    Thus, its quite unlikely to have a solution in D3D.

    j.

    Pewnego razu, a by³o to Sat, 17 Sep 2005 00:50:00 +0200, DimmuR
    wykombinowa³ sobie co nastêpuje:

    I have made serveral tests:

    1. vesa driver + DD = crash
    2. radeon or fglrx + DD / D3D = crash
    3. nv + DD = crash

    I couldn't test nvidia driver because i had only riva tnt2 for testing
    which is not supported by Nvidia

    All tests were made on kernel 2.6.11.12 and 2.6.13.2 and cedega 4.3.2 and
    4.4.1.

    In my post to opentech blizzard i found reply that there is a person with
    NT4.0 who has the same problem as lunux users so it seems to be more than
    cedega <-> d2

    --
    \!/ Kadu: #2940543
    ( @ @ ) mailto:dimmur-(at)-z-pl
    oOO-(_)-OOo Registered Linux user: #277278
    D.I.M.M.U.R.: Digital Intelligent Machine Manufactured for Ultimate
    Repair

    Pewnego razu, a by³o to Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:38:26 +0200, DimmuR
    wykombinowa³ sobie co nastêpuje:

    I forgot to write that I also made some tests with system32/*.dll files.

    I replaced them with oryginal winxp dll.

    After that nothing changes (except for msvcrt.dll - with org xp file it
    crashes at start...)

    If you have more ideas I'm opened - i can spend more time for testings
    till cedega find solution for all of us who can't play.

    --

    DimmuR schrieb:

    > If you have more ideas I'm opened - i can spend more time for testings
    > till cedega find solution for all of us who can't play.

    One weird idea: which localization of D2 are you trying to use?
    Maybe there are differences in the localization of 1.11b, preventing
    you from getting it working.
    That wouldn't be a completely new type of issue, as e.g. in 1.10 the
    german localization had the so-called "Aurabug", crashing the game
    whenever the pointer was moved over a runeword with "Lvl X FOO Aura
    when equipped".
    Do you have access to a german one to try it? Thats what is working
    for me.

    j.

Games Wine Video Games