Observing Signal strength and speed in WIN-XP Home?

Is there a way to do this?

Using Linksys wireless router.

Can do it with my PDA that uses a Socket SDIO card but can't find any
way to do it on my laptop.
3 answers Last reply
More about observing signal strength speed home

    On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 07:26:00 -0700, brian-s-jones-at-comcast.net
    wrote:

    >Is there a way to do this?]

    Sorta.

    >Using Linksys wireless router.

    I didn't know that all Linksys routers were identical. Any reason
    that you're withholding the model number?

    >Can do it with my PDA that uses a Socket SDIO card but can't find any
    >way to do it on my laptop.

    I guess all PDA's are also identical and subject to a unilateral
    non-disclosure problem. I'll assume that you're embarrassed by
    whatever you purchased.

    One way is to install a wireless card (PCI or USB) in your desktop
    that's connected to your unspecified model Linksys router. 802.11b/g
    transmits the signal strengths and S/N ratio of both ends of a link in
    the management frames. Management frames are not encrypted so the
    info is easily extracted. Netstumbler can extract these out of thin
    air.

    If an added card is inconvenient, a seperate computah running
    Netstumbler will work. That's what I use for aligning antennas and
    checking for interference (good signal, lousy S/N ratio), when dealing
    with cheap wireless routers and bridges that lack RF and performance
    monitoring features.

    For your unspecified PDA, Ministumbler should do the same thing.
    http://www.netstumbler.com

    For additional software, search for Google "wireless site survey
    tools" and "wireless sniffer". Also, dig through this list:
    http://www.networkintrusion.co.uk/wireless.htm
    This one looks kinda cool. (I haven't tried it):
    http://www.wififofum.org

    150 Felker St #D 831-336-2558
    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS

    On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 11:35:10 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
    <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

    >On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 07:26:00 -0700, brian-s-jones-at-comcast.net
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Is there a way to do this?]
    >
    >Sorta.
    >
    >>Using Linksys wireless router.
    >
    >I didn't know that all Linksys routers were identical. Any reason
    >that you're withholding the model number?
    >
    >>Can do it with my PDA that uses a Socket SDIO card but can't find any
    >>way to do it on my laptop.
    >
    >I guess all PDA's are also identical and subject to a unilateral
    >non-disclosure problem. I'll assume that you're embarrassed by
    >whatever you purchased.
    >
    >One way is to install a wireless card (PCI or USB) in your desktop
    >that's connected to your unspecified model Linksys router. 802.11b/g
    >transmits the signal strengths and S/N ratio of both ends of a link in
    >the management frames. Management frames are not encrypted so the
    >info is easily extracted. Netstumbler can extract these out of thin
    >air.
    >
    >If an added card is inconvenient, a seperate computah running
    >Netstumbler will work. That's what I use for aligning antennas and
    >checking for interference (good signal, lousy S/N ratio), when dealing
    >with cheap wireless routers and bridges that lack RF and performance
    >monitoring features.
    >
    >For your unspecified PDA, Ministumbler should do the same thing.
    > http://www.netstumbler.com

    Sorry to have inconvenienced you. Guess I'm just not as smart as you
    are.
    >For additional software, search for Google "wireless site survey
    >tools" and "wireless sniffer". Also, dig through this list:
    > http://www.networkintrusion.co.uk/wireless.htm
    >This one looks kinda cool. (I haven't tried it):
    > http://www.wififofum.org

    brian-s-jones-at-comcast.net wrote:
    > Using Linksys wireless router.

    > Can do it with my PDA that uses a Socket SDIO card but can't find any
    > way to do it on my laptop.

    I don't think that any of the cheaper Linksys routers (like my BEFW11S4)
    have signal monitoring displays, although they do transmit signal
    information to someon who wants to listen. That's what you are checking
    with your PDA. The laptop adapter might have a utility available. My
    SMC2435, Orinoco Silver, and DLink DWL-122 all came with signal monitoring
    utlities.

    The latest Netsumbler provides nice signal patterns for most cards on
    WinXP, and some cards on older Windows, combining signal strength and SNR.
    http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/SMC/NetStumbler-graphics.jpg

    My Orinoco-supplied utility has a bar graph or line graph.
    http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/SMC/Silver-signal.jpg
    http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/SMC/Silver-SNR.jpg

    --
    ---