Observing Signal strength and speed in WIN-XP Home?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 27, 2004 11:26:00 AM

Is there a way to do this?

Using Linksys wireless router.

Can do it with my PDA that uses a Socket SDIO card but can't find any
way to do it on my laptop.
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 3:35:10 PM

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 07:26:00 -0700, brian-s-jones-at-comcast.net
wrote:

>Is there a way to do this?]

Sorta.

>Using Linksys wireless router.

I didn't know that all Linksys routers were identical. Any reason
that you're withholding the model number?

>Can do it with my PDA that uses a Socket SDIO card but can't find any
>way to do it on my laptop.

I guess all PDA's are also identical and subject to a unilateral
non-disclosure problem. I'll assume that you're embarrassed by
whatever you purchased.

One way is to install a wireless card (PCI or USB) in your desktop
that's connected to your unspecified model Linksys router. 802.11b/g
transmits the signal strengths and S/N ratio of both ends of a link in
the management frames. Management frames are not encrypted so the
info is easily extracted. Netstumbler can extract these out of thin
air.

If an added card is inconvenient, a seperate computah running
Netstumbler will work. That's what I use for aligning antennas and
checking for interference (good signal, lousy S/N ratio), when dealing
with cheap wireless routers and bridges that lack RF and performance
monitoring features.

For your unspecified PDA, Ministumbler should do the same thing.
http://www.netstumbler.com

For additional software, search for Google "wireless site survey
tools" and "wireless sniffer". Also, dig through this list:
http://www.networkintrusion.co.uk/wireless.htm
This one looks kinda cool. (I haven't tried it):
http://www.wififofum.org

150 Felker St #D 831-336-2558
Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 10:19:55 PM

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 11:35:10 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
<jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 07:26:00 -0700, brian-s-jones-at-comcast.net
>wrote:
>
>>Is there a way to do this?]
>
>Sorta.
>
>>Using Linksys wireless router.
>
>I didn't know that all Linksys routers were identical. Any reason
>that you're withholding the model number?
>
>>Can do it with my PDA that uses a Socket SDIO card but can't find any
>>way to do it on my laptop.
>
>I guess all PDA's are also identical and subject to a unilateral
>non-disclosure problem. I'll assume that you're embarrassed by
>whatever you purchased.
>
>One way is to install a wireless card (PCI or USB) in your desktop
>that's connected to your unspecified model Linksys router. 802.11b/g
>transmits the signal strengths and S/N ratio of both ends of a link in
>the management frames. Management frames are not encrypted so the
>info is easily extracted. Netstumbler can extract these out of thin
>air.
>
>If an added card is inconvenient, a seperate computah running
>Netstumbler will work. That's what I use for aligning antennas and
>checking for interference (good signal, lousy S/N ratio), when dealing
>with cheap wireless routers and bridges that lack RF and performance
>monitoring features.
>
>For your unspecified PDA, Ministumbler should do the same thing.
> http://www.netstumbler.com

Sorry to have inconvenienced you. Guess I'm just not as smart as you
are.
>For additional software, search for Google "wireless site survey
>tools" and "wireless sniffer". Also, dig through this list:
> http://www.networkintrusion.co.uk/wireless.htm
>This one looks kinda cool. (I haven't tried it):
> http://www.wififofum.org
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 12:48:28 AM

brian-s-jones-at-comcast.net wrote:
> Using Linksys wireless router.

> Can do it with my PDA that uses a Socket SDIO card but can't find any
> way to do it on my laptop.

I don't think that any of the cheaper Linksys routers (like my BEFW11S4)
have signal monitoring displays, although they do transmit signal
information to someon who wants to listen. That's what you are checking
with your PDA. The laptop adapter might have a utility available. My
SMC2435, Orinoco Silver, and DLink DWL-122 all came with signal monitoring
utlities.

The latest Netsumbler provides nice signal patterns for most cards on
WinXP, and some cards on older Windows, combining signal strength and SNR.
http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/SMC/NetStumbler-grap...

My Orinoco-supplied utility has a bar graph or line graph.
http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/SMC/Silver-signal.jp...
http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/SMC/Silver-SNR.jpg

--
---