Windows Messenger Cannot Be Uninstalled, Right?

Am I correct in understanding that Windows Messenger has become a core
technology of Windows XP which cannot be uninstalled (although access to it
can be removed)?

Therefore, previously published advice involving the sysoc.inf file or
advpack.dll no longer applies (and hasn't applied since SP 1)?

Thanks for your advice.
--
Ted Zieglar

Greetings Ted,

The sysoc.inf "advice" is unnecessary and won't work now. However, Windows Messenger can be
fully removed without any problem except for the fact that Remote Assistance, Whiteboard and
Application Sharing functions will no longer work.

Assuming this isn't an issue for you, click the Start button, then click Run and type in
(copy-paste if you like):
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Then click OK.
Messenger will then be uninstalled. For more detailed instructions and screenshots, go to,
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/problem.aspx?ID=7
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

> Am I correct in understanding that Windows Messenger has become a core
> technology of Windows XP which cannot be uninstalled (although access to it
> can be removed)?
>
> Therefore, previously published advice involving the sysoc.inf file or
> advpack.dll no longer applies (and hasn't applied since SP 1)?
>
> Thanks for your advice.
> --
> Ted Zieglar

Thanks, Jonathan. I'm not using the features you mentioned, so I'm leaning
toward uninstalling Messenger. I like to be really careful about security
and privacy, and if Windows Messenger isn't on my system it can't be abused.
Or am I being rediculous?

However, I have read that uninstalling Windows Messenger may impair the
functionality of the .net framework. I use software that requires the .net
framework. Will I possibly break this software if I uninstall Windows
Messenger?

I've also come across, as a way of uninstalling Windows Messenger 5.0, the
following:

start > run >
msiexec.exe /x {ABEB838C-A1A7-4C5D-B7E1-8B4314B10138}

Will this also work?

Three questions in one post! Sorry about that.
--
Ted Zieglar