Windows Messenger Cannot Be Uninstalled, Right?

Am I correct in understanding that Windows Messenger has become a core
technology of Windows XP which cannot be uninstalled (although access to it
can be removed)?

Therefore, previously published advice involving the sysoc.inf file or
advpack.dll no longer applies (and hasn't applied since SP 1)?

Thanks for your advice.
--
Ted Zieglar
2 answers Last reply

    Greetings Ted,

    The sysoc.inf "advice" is unnecessary and won't work now. However, Windows Messenger can be
    fully removed without any problem except for the fact that Remote Assistance, Whiteboard and
    Application Sharing functions will no longer work.

    Assuming this isn't an issue for you, click the Start button, then click Run and type in
    (copy-paste if you like):
    RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

    Then click OK.
    Messenger will then be uninstalled. For more detailed instructions and screenshots, go to,
    http://messenger.jonathankay.com/problem.aspx?ID=7
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    > Am I correct in understanding that Windows Messenger has become a core
    > technology of Windows XP which cannot be uninstalled (although access to it
    > can be removed)?
    >
    > Therefore, previously published advice involving the sysoc.inf file or
    > advpack.dll no longer applies (and hasn't applied since SP 1)?
    >
    > Thanks for your advice.
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar

    Thanks, Jonathan. I'm not using the features you mentioned, so I'm leaning
    toward uninstalling Messenger. I like to be really careful about security
    and privacy, and if Windows Messenger isn't on my system it can't be abused.
    Or am I being rediculous?

    However, I have read that uninstalling Windows Messenger may impair the
    functionality of the .net framework. I use software that requires the .net
    framework. Will I possibly break this software if I uninstall Windows
    Messenger?

    I've also come across, as a way of uninstalling Windows Messenger 5.0, the
    following:

    start > run >
    msiexec.exe /x {ABEB838C-A1A7-4C5D-B7E1-8B4314B10138}

    Will this also work?

    Three questions in one post! Sorry about that.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    > Greetings Ted,
    >
    > The sysoc.inf "advice" is unnecessary and won't work now. However,
    Windows Messenger can be
    > fully removed without any problem except for the fact that Remote
    Assistance, Whiteboard and
    > Application Sharing functions will no longer work.
    >
    > Assuming this isn't an issue for you, click the Start button, then click
    Run and type in
    > (copy-paste if you like):
    > RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
    >
    > Then click OK.
    > Messenger will then be uninstalled. For more detailed instructions and
    screenshots, go to,
    > http://messenger.jonathankay.com/problem.aspx?ID=7
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert

    > > Am I correct in understanding that Windows Messenger has become a core
    > > technology of Windows XP which cannot be uninstalled (although access to
    it
    > > can be removed)?
    > >
    > > Therefore, previously published advice involving the sysoc.inf file or
    > > advpack.dll no longer applies (and hasn't applied since SP 1)?
    > >
    > > Thanks for your advice.
    > > --
    > > Ted Zieglar

Messenger Microsoft Windows XP