Error message when starting WM

We have an Exchange 2000 server that we run IM through. The clients are a
mixture of WOK Prof and XP Prof. I have 2 XP Prof client that can't start
WM. They get the following message: 'This application has failed to start
because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the
application may fix this problem.' I have tried to reinstall the IM but I
keep getting the same error message. I am trying to install V5.0 for XP.

Thank you for any and all help that is given.

Bill Williams

Greetings Bill,

How exactly are you reinstalling? Instead of removing/installing, with Windows Messenger 5
*installed*, download and run the setup executable again:
http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=77c3799f-6388-4193-8002-be55584c1ac1

After the setup procedure starts you'll be prompted to simply "Repair" the installation, do
so and this should correct this for you.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert