Sign in with
Your question

Older Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 24, 2002 12:32:25 AM

I have a older voodoo5 card..It works very well..What would be the next best card for glide based games?Since Quake is the bulk of my game play..A few years back I bought a Gainward Gforce 2 ti 500 golden series..Its still in the bag,and never installed..Unless someother card is better for what im doing.....Otherwise all the other stuff i do on the Puter is just playing around.......Any help would be helpfull.....

More about : older card

a b U Graphics card
November 24, 2002 12:55:42 AM

Glide was 3DFX only . No other card company supports Glide.

Depending on the speed of your computer you could run it in D3D or OpenGL. But glide is gone with 3DFX.

I aint signing nothing!!!
November 24, 2002 1:12:33 AM

Ok im running a Amd 1200 with 512 ram (crucial level 2)No bells ,No well you know what..FIC 11 mobo,dvd,zip,CDR,nick card....Does this help?Ive been around for a while...Just lost track ....Yes i know Glide is 3dfx..Just want to know which card would be better in Quake..In home,online,What ever.....Thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Helpmostimes on 11/23/02 10:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Related resources
November 24, 2002 1:22:25 AM

Your best option would be a GF4 Ti 4200. But if I were you I'd throw in that GF2 and give it a shot. They were really good vid cards. If you do buy a new card stay AWAY from GF4 MX cards as they're really just GF2's on steroids.

The Men Behind the GUNS!

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=327" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>
November 24, 2002 2:20:48 AM

I too have the VooDoo5 card in two of my 4 computers. I upgraded to Windowz XP last year and had problems with drivers for that OS and the VooDoo5. I use the Dozer 1.1 drivers from VooDooiles.com and they work great on everything except UT2003. My other computers have ATI Radeon 8500LE/128 cards and after playing with some config stuff in the Quake2 config files, I got it playable and to be honest, the graphics are better than the VooDoo5's are. When you run Quake2 in openGL mode, for some reason it's too dark to play. I have the items for the config file to make them work though if you're interested.

UsHeR_564

"You can run, but your punk ass will only die tired!"
November 24, 2002 11:00:04 PM

Well that sounds fine....But im not ready to give up 98se..XP does not really look that good right now...Yes i know 98se is a little slower,,but i can handle it..Besides ive gotten pretty good with this operating systom..I think ill take the plunge,,and install the gf2 card..Thanks any way for your help...........
!