Just re-installed D2 after a few years off. I had wanted to keep going on
my old level 43 Skelimancer, so I copied the old save files into the new
installation save folder. When I tried to run the game with that character,
I got a "bad inventory" error. Now, I don't rememeber using any inventory
mods in the past, but I do remember trying to get the Baldurs Gate mod to
work and never did. So, I'm assuming I somehow hosed my character's file up
in the process. Is there any way possible to restore him to his old former
self? He was pretty kick-butt, with a few +Necro skills items (can't
remember names, though).

Any help appreciated,

Dark Helmet

I think it was "Dark Helmet" <haha@nospam.net> that wrote something
like...

>Just re-installed D2 after a few years off. I had wanted to keep going on
>my old level 43 Skelimancer, so I copied the old save files into the new
>installation save folder. When I tried to run the game with that character,
>I got a "bad inventory" error. Now, I don't rememeber using any inventory
>mods in the past, but I do remember trying to get the Baldurs Gate mod to
>work and never did. So, I'm assuming I somehow hosed my character's file up
>in the process. Is there any way possible to restore him to his old former
>self? He was pretty kick-butt, with a few +Necro skills items (can't
>remember names, though).
>
>Any help appreciated,
>
>Dark Helmet

What you many want to do is try and remember what version of D2 you
had patched to, and patch back to that version before copying the save
files back in place. Once they're in place, it should be fine to
patch the game to the latest version you want to play.

Possibly, patching to a version later than the one those characters
were created under will work also. I'm not sure how backwards
compatible D2 is, or whether the patch programs fix up the save files.

And finally, if that wasn't the trouble, then the character files
might have gotten corrupted somehow. How likely that is would depend
on where you had them saved I guess.
It's possible a program like Atma may still be able to open the
character and would fix it when you then saved it in that program.

Ashen Shugar
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule!

"Ashen Shugar" <deathsabyss@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>I think it was "Dark Helmet" <haha@nospam.net> that wrote something
> like...
>
>>Just re-installed D2 after a few years off. I had wanted to keep going on
>>my old level 43 Skelimancer, so I copied the old save files into the new
>>installation save folder. When I tried to run the game with that
>>character,
>>I got a "bad inventory" error. Now, I don't rememeber using any inventory
>>mods in the past, but I do remember trying to get the Baldurs Gate mod to
>>work and never did. So, I'm assuming I somehow hosed my character's file
>>up
>>in the process. Is there any way possible to restore him to his old
>>former
>>self? He was pretty kick-butt, with a few +Necro skills items (can't
>>remember names, though).
>>
>>Any help appreciated,
>>
>>Dark Helmet
>>

> What you many want to do is try and remember what version of D2 you
> had patched to, and patch back to that version before copying the save
> files back in place. Once they're in place, it should be fine to
> patch the game to the latest version you want to play.
>
> Possibly, patching to a version later than the one those characters
> were created under will work also. I'm not sure how backwards
> compatible D2 is, or whether the patch programs fix up the save files.
>
> And finally, if that wasn't the trouble, then the character files
> might have gotten corrupted somehow. How likely that is would depend
> on where you had them saved I guess.
> It's possible a program like Atma may still be able to open the
> character and would fix it when you then saved it in that program.
>

> Ashen Shugar
> --

Hmm, good ideas. I'm also searching out some of my old hard drives to see
if I may have some of my really old saves on there.

Thanks,

Dark Helmet