Sign in with
Your question

Gainward GeForce4 Ti4200 / Ultra 650

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 24, 2002 4:39:14 AM

Please excuse my absolute ignorance on this subject. I am open to any heplful suggestions. Gainward has a poor support system. The following is what I sent to Gainward Support twice and have not received any response: I have a Gainward Geforce 4 Ti4200 Ultra 650 card, GPU= GZ1 620AGO 000, GF4 Ti4200, 64MB, GLE1780 graphic's card. I kept wondering why it would not handle my favorite game, Ms Combat Flight Simulator 2 WWII Pacific Theater without having some brief delays in the display, hicups, and some lock-ups that required a restart. Finally I used NewView and Expert Tool which informed me that the system is operating as AGP 1x Sideband Addressing. I was told by a electronics tech that it should read 4x Sideband Addressing.

The mainboard is an MSI KT3 Ultra ARU with the most recent BIOs update. The CPU is an AMD Athlon XP2000+. The OS is Windows 98SE. The display is set to 1024 x 768 and 16Bit color. I am using a ViewSonic A75f monitor with a refresh rate of 75Hz. I have updated the drivers for your graphics board.

The BIOs AGP Mode is set to 4x. The AGP Comp. Driving is set to AUTO which automatically sets the Manual AGP Comp. Driving to CB. The Fast AGP Write is Disabled because when I Enable it the graphics system crashes as you exit the BIOs. The AGP Aperture Size is set to 128MB. The AGP Master 1 W/S Read and the Write are Disabled. The AGP Read Synchronization is Enabled.

Why is the AGP Sideband Addressing showing 1x? Why won't the Fast AGP Write work? Why is the display having brief delays in the display or locking up? What are the best BIOs settings for this card?

Will some one please help! How does one obtain a 3D Mark score?
December 12, 2002 9:10:36 PM

The problem was solved by downloading the new VIA 4 in 1 version 4.4.3 drivers.

Info: MSI KT3 Ultra ARU mobo, Athlon XP 2000+ CPU, Windows98SE, 512MB of DDR266, Gainward GeForce4 Ti4200 64MB Ultra 650 graphics card and a Thermaltake XaserII tower, a 431 watt Enermac Whisper pwr.
December 12, 2002 11:41:31 PM

AGP sideband addressing gives only a tiny (in fact often unnoticable) increase in performance while complicating the way in which the video card communicates with your motherboard.
You'll be better off disabling it altogether.

As for 3DMark. Go to www.madonion.com, download 3DMark and run it.
!