problems with Windows Messenger after MSN Mess installed

I am trying to communicate via audio and video with my
daughter overseas. Everything worked fine with Windows
Messenger. Then I foolishly had her install MSN Messenger
(to allow a bigger picture) and suddenly we could not
connect except by typing.

Trying again in Windows Messenger she says the Audio
Tuning Wizard now does not allow her to hear anything
from her speakers. She can hear system sounds and CDs.
But neither her mike nor speakers will work with Windows
Messenger, nor can she correct it by using Audio Tuning
Wizard. I have had her go to Control Panel/Sounds and
Audio and make sure the default devices are correct. And
they seem to be. But the Hardware Test in that applet
fails at the speaker portion. She has added no other new
programs or devices prior to this. As a further test, she
cannot record anything using Sound Recorder.
Help would be appreciated.
Stardoc
jerry@(nospam)buckbay.com

"Stardoc" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to communicate via audio and video with my
> daughter overseas. Everything worked fine with Windows
> Messenger. Then I foolishly had her install MSN Messenger
> (to allow a bigger picture) and suddenly we could not
> connect except by typing.
>
> Trying again in Windows Messenger she says the Audio
> Tuning Wizard now does not allow her to hear anything
> from her speakers. She can hear system sounds and CDs.
> But neither her mike nor speakers will work with Windows
> Messenger, nor can she correct it by using Audio Tuning
> Wizard. I have had her go to Control Panel/Sounds and
> Audio and make sure the default devices are correct. And
> they seem to be. But the Hardware Test in that applet
> fails at the speaker portion. She has added no other new
> programs or devices prior to this. As a further test, she
> cannot record anything using Sound Recorder.
> Help would be appreciated.
> Stardoc
> jerry@(nospam)buckbay.com

>I am trying to communicate via audio and video with my
> daughter overseas. Everything worked fine with Windows
> Messenger. Then I foolishly had her install MSN Messenger
> (to allow a bigger picture) and suddenly we could not
> connect except by typing.
>
> Trying again in Windows Messenger she says the Audio
> Tuning Wizard now does not allow her to hear anything
> from her speakers. She can hear system sounds and CDs.
> But neither her mike nor speakers will work with Windows
> Messenger, nor can she correct it by using Audio Tuning
> Wizard. I have had her go to Control Panel/Sounds and
> Audio and make sure the default devices are correct. And
> they seem to be. But the Hardware Test in that applet
> fails at the speaker portion. She has added no other new
> programs or devices prior to this. As a further test, she
> cannot record anything using Sound Recorder.
> Help would be appreciated.
> Stardoc
> jerry@(nospam)buckbay.com

If I were fixing this I would reinstall her audio card drivers
as a matter of course. But that might be a bit techy for your
daughter so you could use that if other troubleshooting failed.

It seems most likely that a setting is wrong, especially because
sound recorder doesn't work, with the microphone. The first
thing to check is if the mic is in the right plug, assuming a desk
mic. You didn't mention if she has a laptop or a webcam mic.
Desktop speakers (need to be on) or laptop sound. I think a
user may have changed a setting. Because normally Messenger
will not impinge on your ability to sound recorder or change
audio drivers by corrupting them.

So assuming win xp, go to control panel / Sound Effect Manager
Click on the Speaker test, left and right; this will test if the drivers
work

So assuming win xp, go to control panel / sounds and audio devices

First the Volume: Make sure the _device_ volume is turned up
Turn up the Speaker volume, then under Advanced have her
select her speaker setup: there is a dropdown box with many options
it is a pale blue box with a checkmark in it, click it for more choices
Mine says desktop, you would change that for a laptop to laptop speakers

Under Device volume advanced, have her click that and
make sure all the volume sliders are up and nothing muted

Next click on the Audio tab of sounds and audio devices

Sound playback:
Make sure the default device is correct, another dropdown box;
mine has only one option, but make sure of it

Sound recording:
Another dropdown box; on my computer the sound playback device
and sound recording device are the same: Realtec AC97 Audio
on other computers there is a chance they will be different

Now under recording device Advanced, this is important, the volume
sliders should be up and * to the far right, is a Microphone option
and below it is a box to Select, tick that option box*

Next, the midi music playback default device is probably a different
device, mine says Microsoft gs wavetable sw synth
click on Advanced and make sure nothing is muted

Now go to Voice:
Voice Playback, make sure correct device is selected, volumes up
nothing muted and under Advance correct speaker setup chosen

Voice recording: I have the same device, the audio card, but
check to see if other choices are present with pale blue dropdown box
again the mic should be selected under volume

Now the moment of Truth: Test Hardware
The mic is usually pink and the speaker plugs green, they must
be properly plugged in. The speakers are turned on:

The hardware test will show your playback and recording devices
you have already made sure the volume is turned up and nothing muted
Next the wizard tests your sound hardware

The Microphone test
When she speaks into the Microphone the panel to the right of
the Recording volume bar, will flicker different altitudes of green
If you make a loud noise, the green indicator goes way up

If this is not working you have the wrong devices selected or
you need to reinstall you audio card drivers. No dancing lights seen.

The very next step lets you speak into the microphone and
the volume is played back to you immediately so you can
make an adjustment. My Windows Firewall popped up and
I had to unblock (allow) the testing procedure.

Hardware: Shows you what can be found in Control Panel /System/
Hardware / Device Manager / Sound Video and game Controllers
with a + then can be clicked to expand and show the various devices
If things are not going well, then you can right-click the audio device
and choose update, Windows will ask you to automatically install or
choose from a location; if you had a cd rom with the audio drivers
on it then choose install from a location and pick your cd drive
which contains the cd with the audio drivers on it.

If things go well. Then test this next on the audio/video wizard.
The Microphone should say your audio card or device
Speakers: On my computer the same as the Microphone Realtek AC97
They both have those pale blue dropdown boxes to chose other devices

Troubleshooting the sound recorder should be done first because
if that works then the audio/video tuning wizard should also work
unless some simple setting is wrong, which is easier to troubleshoot.

Finally, My webcam has a audio and video tuning software.
It will be installed under Programs. I notice the dropdown box
for Audio has two choices: Camera and the soundcard device.

I choose Camera because when I do the mic test then the green recording
flashes dance around. If you have this you could try it both ways.

Conclusion:

Getting audio to work with Messenger 6.2 is another issue so this
post just addresses the primary issue of the sound recorder not working.
She can use sound recorder to create a test file and then use Windows
Explorer to find the file where she saved it; double-click and the test file
should open up and play her audio recording. (use File /Save to create it).

For instance, I think that video-conferencing requires both to have windows
xp
and Msn Messenger 6.2 installed. I'm not sure about webcam and audio.
If you have a router then UPnP needs to be enabled.
groups.google.com is a good research tool for Usenet posts.

Regards,
Stephen

"Stardoc" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to communicate via audio and video with my
> daughter overseas. Everything worked fine with Windows
> Messenger. Then I foolishly had her install MSN Messenger
> (to allow a bigger picture) and suddenly we could not
> connect except by typing.
>
> Trying again in Windows Messenger she says the Audio
> Tuning Wizard now does not allow her to hear anything
> from her speakers. She can hear system sounds and CDs.
> But neither her mike nor speakers will work with Windows
> Messenger, nor can she correct it by using Audio Tuning
> Wizard. I have had her go to Control Panel/Sounds and
> Audio and make sure the default devices are correct. And
> they seem to be. But the Hardware Test in that applet
> fails at the speaker portion. She has added no other new
> programs or devices prior to this. As a further test, she
> cannot record anything using Sound Recorder.
> Help would be appreciated.
> Stardoc
> jerry@(nospam)buckbay.com

I forgot to mention that the speaker volume for desktop
or laptop speakers needs to be turned up.