Putting the "Curse" in "Cursor" - 1.11 Question

I'm hoping to get some thoughts/opinions/musings on a problem I've been
experiencing since this 1.11 came out. Some people have been getting
that "sludge" with their mouse while in their inventory; what I have
been getting is my cursor jumping all over the screen.

I have an optical mouse, and even replaced it with a brand-new optical
mouse, but I still get the same thing happening: suddenly my cursor
will pop into one of the corners in my screen. As I play with the left
mouse button continually depressed, and just move my mouse to where I
want to run to, I am getting really tired of suddenly switching
directions, running into walls, running away while in battle, or,
worse, suddenly running toward a huge bunch of critters. When I create
muling games I take my hand off the mouse after I click "create game",
and I've noticed that after the screen loads, my cursor will jump
somewhere on the screen, and no one's even touching the mouse.

I don't experience this while surfing the Net, but neither do I
continually hold the left mouse button down to navigate my way around
Web pages to notice any sudden cursor jumps, so I'm not sure I can
judge anything by that.

Does anyone have any clue as to what could be causing this, or if it's
even D2-related at all? I'm assuming it is because I never had this
problem with 1.10. It happens every game. Very tirings, it is. Yes.
Nasty, sneaky cursor jumpses.

It's bad enough that I beat my own head against a wall when a yellow
Tulwar drops; now the game is making me beat my characters' heads
against the wall, too. :)

Jill
--------
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

chainbreaker wrote:

> I once had a MS optical mouse that was very very finicky as to its operating
> surface, and exhibited all sorts of behavior similar to what you describe,
> and even worse. You might want to experiment with different pads, or even
> with no pad at all if you haven't already, or maybe even springing for a new
> mouse if yours is one of the earlier optical models.

I'm using the same mouse and mouse pad that I used with 1.10 when I had
no problems. The new mouse I tried was a Logitech optical. It didn't
help. I don't like those fancy, high-end mice as I find they are too
large for my small hand. I've tried different mouse pads, and cleaning
my current mousepad several times. My computer is on my dining room
table, which came to Canada from England with my grandparents in 1952.
It's a huge wooden thing, and the surface is very pitted from the grain
of the wood, so without a mousepad my mouse fares poorly on the table's
surface.

I have the same set-up for 1.11 that I did for 1.10, where I had no
problems, so I'm a little confused as to why I am suddenly having this
problem.

neithskye wrote:

> It's bad enough that I beat my own head against a wall when a yellow
> Tulwar drops; now the game is making me beat my characters' heads
> against the wall, too. :)
>

> Jill
> --------
> Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

The problem I told you about with my mouse cursor freezing when left idle
for more than a few seconds has disappeared as suddenly as it began. It's a
Logitech optical, and other than this hopefully temporary problem has always
operated perfectly.

--
chainbreaker

neithskye wrote:
> chainbreaker wrote:
>
>> I once had a MS optical mouse that was very very finicky as to its
>> operating surface, and exhibited all sorts of behavior similar to
>> what you describe, and even worse. You might want to experiment
>> with different pads, or even with no pad at all if you haven't
>> already, or maybe even springing for a new mouse if yours is one of
>> the earlier optical models.
>
> I'm using the same mouse and mouse pad that I used with 1.10 when I
> had no problems. The new mouse I tried was a Logitech optical. It
> didn't help. I don't like those fancy, high-end mice as I find they
> are too large for my small hand. I've tried different mouse pads, and
> cleaning my current mousepad several times. My computer is on my
> dining room table, which came to Canada from England with my
> grandparents in 1952. It's a huge wooden thing, and the surface is
> very pitted from the grain of the wood, so without a mousepad my
> mouse fares poorly on the table's surface.
>
> I have the same set-up for 1.11 that I did for 1.10, where I had no
> problems, so I'm a little confused as to why I am suddenly having this
> problem.

I'm sure you've tried all the usual--playing with the sensitivity settings,
speed, acceleration, and all that?

That MS mouse I had would work only within a very small range of those
settings.

If you have an old rollerball mouse still around, why don't you try hooking
it up and see if you still have your problems?

--
chainbreaker

"neithskye" wrote...
> chainbreaker wrote:
>
>> I once had a MS optical mouse that was very very finicky as to its
>> operating
>> surface, and exhibited all sorts of behavior similar to what you
>> describe,
>> and even worse. You might want to experiment with different pads, or
>> even
>> with no pad at all if you haven't already, or maybe even springing for a
>> new
>> mouse if yours is one of the earlier optical models.
>
> I'm using the same mouse and mouse pad that I used with 1.10 when I had
> no problems. The new mouse I tried was a Logitech optical. It didn't
> help. I don't like those fancy, high-end mice as I find they are too
> large for my small hand. I've tried different mouse pads, and cleaning
> my current mousepad several times. My computer is on my dining room
> table, which came to Canada from England with my grandparents in 1952.
> It's a huge wooden thing, and the surface is very pitted from the grain
> of the wood, so without a mousepad my mouse fares poorly on the table's
> surface.
>
> I have the same set-up for 1.11 that I did for 1.10, where I had no
> problems, so I'm a little confused as to why I am suddenly having this
> problem.

It does sound like a problem unrelated to D2, and it may be a coincidence
that it seemed to begin with the new patch. Do you allow your programs to
automatically update whenever they want without your intervention? If so,
one of your programs may have updated itself without you knowing about it
and screwed something up. I'm sorry I can't help determine what that
"something" actually is, but I don't think it sounds like D2.

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

neithskye wrote:
> I have an optical mouse, and even replaced it with a brand-new optical
> mouse, but I still get the same thing happening: suddenly my cursor
> will pop into one of the corners in my screen.

When I got my new PC a few years back, it came with an optical mouse and
a pad (with the logo of the company). The pad had a glossy surface, and
was unusable with the mouse in certain programs (but ok in others) - the
behavior you describe was identical - mouse popping to the corners. At
first I thought the mouse, or the driver, was bad.

I replaced the pad with one that has no sheen to it at all and have no
problems now. It's hard to believe that the company distributes a mouse
pad that is not compatible with their own optical mice.