Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Recently I created a new hotmail account for myself which lasted a couple of
weeks and recieved email. As with my regular adress, I was notified of new
mail on the XP sign in page for all users. Under my name it said "1 new
message" and when you click on it it informs you you have new mail waiting
for you at you adress. I soon deleted this empty account, with no new mail,
however there is still a notification under my account on the "sign in" page.
I have gone to "manage network passwords" and deleted the account and it no
longer appears as a sign in option for msn messenger but there is still a
notification of new mail. How can I make this go away? Anyhelp would be
greatly appreciated.

Greetings Dave,

To quickly correct this, click Start, then click Run and enter "regedit.exe" and click OK.
Then navigate (it's like Windows Explorer) to My
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail\yourmsnname@hotmail.com

Where yourmsnname@hotmail.com is the passport. Double-click the MessageCount and enter 0 as
the value (this will set back to none). Then click OK, close the registry editor, and log
out.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert