wifi recommendations in an apartment

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
June 28, 2004 3:54:25 AM

im moving into an apartment situation with a roommate already running
a wireless 802.11b router and no wired/wall plugs/jacks anywhere, i have 3
machines id like to hook up on the network, anyone recommend anything?

new wifi nics for all? or another solution (where i could keep my normal
nin-wifi nics in and not load any new drivers)

anything not too obvious i should look for?
all help and suggestions are appreciated.

~Jeff

More about : wifi recommendations apartment

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 28, 2004 6:03:32 AM

Couple of options:

1. WiFi for each computer. If you don't want to dislodge
your current NICs, you could use WiFi USB adapters for your computers (they
will require drivers though)

2. Setup a wireless bridge. The wired network 'twix your three machines
could have a wireless access point that provides the wireless bridge between
your network and your roommate's. For this configuration, you may be better
off sticking with the same brand as your roommate's AP for better odds of
making it work.

cheers,
Tony

"reff" <reff@someserver.org> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.06.27.23.54.29.918000@someserver.org...
> im moving into an apartment situation with a roommate already running
> a wireless 802.11b router and no wired/wall plugs/jacks anywhere, i have 3
> machines id like to hook up on the network, anyone recommend anything?
>
> new wifi nics for all? or another solution (where i could keep my normal
> nin-wifi nics in and not load any new drivers)
>
> anything not too obvious i should look for?
> all help and suggestions are appreciated.
>
> ~Jeff
a b F Wireless
June 28, 2004 4:15:26 PM

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:08:45 +0000, reff wrote:

> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&sci...
> this is probably the product for me then, i just hope in not making a
> speedbump for myself, if i need to go out and get nics for all of it, i
> will..
> :)

also, how many machines are supported by 1 bridge? just the one? or does
it support multiple on the piece of hardware.. i suppose i could
router/switch after the bridge.. that just seems like im looking to make a
mess...
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 28, 2004 4:15:27 PM

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:15:26 GMT, reff <reff@someserver.org> wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:08:45 +0000, reff wrote:
>
>> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&sci...
>> this is probably the product for me then, i just hope in not making a
>> speedbump for myself, if i need to go out and get nics for all of it, i
>> will..

>also, how many machines are supported by 1 bridge? just the one? or does
>it support multiple on the piece of hardware..

The WET11 can support up to 30 computahs. No need for an additional
router. See:
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/reviews/print.php/1556351
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2002/09/11/wet...
for some good reviews and descriptions except for the number 50 which
should actually be 30. The 30 comes from the 32 MAC addresses in the
bridge table, minus the MAC addresses for the WET11 and its
destination access point.

>i suppose i could
>router/switch after the bridge.. that just seems like im looking to make a
>mess...

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 28, 2004 5:02:39 PM

I'm slowly convering my wired SOHO to wireless.

I've got 2 wired PCs connected to a wireless Linksys WRT54G AP,
1 wireless laptop running a Linksys WPC54G card,
1 Sony Clié with built-in 802.11b wireless,
2 printers connected to an older wired SMC broadband router (which
is then daisy chained to the wireles AP)...

....and a partridge in a pear tree.

Eventually, all PCs and printers will be running 802.11G linksys.

Being in an apartment myself, I found a patch (Thanks to the
clever people in this newsgroup) to LOWER the output of my
wireless AP from 28mW to 2mW as well as running 128bit WEP.

Works quite nicely for me.

"Tony Vinayak" <tvinayak@optonline.net> wrote in

> Couple of options:
>
> 1. WiFi for each computer. If you don't want to dislodge
> your current NICs, you could use WiFi USB adapters for your computers
> (they will require drivers though)
>
> 2. Setup a wireless bridge. The wired network 'twix your three
> machines could have a wireless access point that provides the wireless
> bridge between your network and your roommate's. For this
> configuration, you may be better off sticking with the same brand as
> your roommate's AP for better odds of making it work.
>
> cheers,
> Tony
>
> "reff" <reff@someserver.org> wrote in message
> news:p an.2004.06.27.23.54.29.918000@someserver.org...
>> im moving into an apartment situation with a roommate already running
>> a wireless 802.11b router and no wired/wall plugs/jacks anywhere, i
>> have 3 machines id like to hook up on the network, anyone recommend
>> anything?
>>
>> new wifi nics for all? or another solution (where i could keep my
>> normal nin-wifi nics in and not load any new drivers)
>>
>> anything not too obvious i should look for?
>> all help and suggestions are appreciated.
>>
>> ~Jeff

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 29, 2004 3:39:35 AM

yes, that should work just fine.

news:p an.2004.06.28.12.08.53.981000@someserver.org...
> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&sci...
> this is probably the product for me then, i just hope in not making a
> speedbump for myself, if i need to go out and get nics for all of it, i
> will..
> :)

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 29, 2004 8:14:38 PM

reff <reff@someserver.org> wrote in news:p an.2004.06.27.23.54.29.918000
@someserver.org:

> new wifi nics for all? or another solution (where i could keep my normal
> nin-wifi nics in and not load any new drivers)

Run a wired network between your machines... and add a wireless access
point to allow you access to the wireless network.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)