nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

I saw a ladder game the other day named "leveling merc" and it made me
wonder. Since 1.11, I just buy a new merc if it hasn't leveled fast
enough, since they're always available at just below your level.

But then I remembered, there used to be (in 1.10) an advantage to
leveling mercs with respect to their stats, i.e., they would end up with
higher stats if you leveled them up from lower levels, especially from
Normal or Nightmare.

Is this still true in 1.11? Or is it a waste of time to be "leveling
mercs" in a game... ?

Nobody wrote:
> I saw a ladder game the other day named "leveling merc" and it made me
> wonder. Since 1.11, I just buy a new merc if it hasn't leveled fast
> enough, since they're always available at just below your level.
>
> But then I remembered, there used to be (in 1.10) an advantage to
> leveling mercs with respect to their stats, i.e., they would end up
> with higher stats if you leveled them up from lower levels,
> especially from Normal or Nightmare.
>
> Is this still true in 1.11? Or is it a waste of time to be "leveling
> mercs" in a game... ?

I've always thought it was a waste of time, considering how little overall
difference it made, and I think I remember reading something concerning the
way mercs level in 1.11 and how their stats are affected by where they come
from that now makes it even more of a waste of time than ever.

--
chainbreaker

Brian Kastel wrote:
> "Samiel" wrote...
> >
> > I fired a merc. the other day that had been raised since he was a kid.
>
> What, did you catch him sleeping at his desk, or sitting on the copy
> machine, or something?
>
> Hire Emilio (A2 NM HF). Emilio's good people.

Pfft! I caught Emilio checking out chicks when he was supposed to be
protecting me. Hire Chalan. Chalan is strong, resolute dependable.

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:23:42 -0400, Nobody <anonymous@bogus.invalid>
wrote:

>I saw a ladder game the other day named "leveling merc" and it made me
>wonder. Since 1.11, I just buy a new merc if it hasn't leveled fast
>enough, since they're always available at just below your level.
>
>But then I remembered, there used to be (in 1.10) an advantage to
>leveling mercs with respect to their stats, i.e., they would end up with
>higher stats if you leveled them up from lower levels, especially from
>Normal or Nightmare.
>
>Is this still true in 1.11? Or is it a waste of time to be "leveling
>mercs" in a game... ?

It's no longer true that you need to level up the merc to get the best
stats. However, it DOES make a difference whether you hire a merc in
Normal/NM/Hell.

Always hire an Act 2 Merc from Normal/NM (depending on the kind you
want) and NEVER from Hell.

Hire Act 1/3/5 merc. in Normal.

I fired a merc. the other day that had been raised since he was a kid.
He showed something like 1168 life at level 80. When I went to Normal
to hire another merc of a similar type, it showed life of 860 or so
for the same level 80. However, once I hired him, he magically got
1168 life! I think the displays may be messed up, but the stats are
definitely the same, so don't bother leveling a merc anymore. There's
no need.

- Samiel

"chaliban" <chaliban@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Brian Kastel wrote:
>> "Samiel" wrote...
>> >
>> > I fired a merc. the other day that had been raised since he was a kid.
>>
>> What, did you catch him sleeping at his desk, or sitting on the copy
>> machine, or something?
>>
>> Hire Emilio (A2 NM HF). Emilio's good people.
>
> Pfft! I caught Emilio checking out chicks when he was supposed to be
> protecting me. Hire Chalan. Chalan is strong, resolute dependable.

Could be.... but I caught him checking out Emilio.... I'll pass.

"Jaffir" wrote...

> "chaliban" <chaliban@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Brian Kastel wrote:
>>> "Samiel" wrote...

>>> What, did you catch him sleeping at his desk, or sitting on the copy
>>> machine, or something?
>>>
>>> Hire Emilio (A2 NM HF). Emilio's good people.
>>
>> Pfft! I caught Emilio checking out chicks when he was supposed to be
>> protecting me. Hire Chalan. Chalan is strong, resolute dependable.
>
> Could be.... but I caught him checking out Emilio.... I'll pass.

ROTFL

chaliban <chaliban@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Brian Kastel wrote:
>> "Samiel" wrote...
>>>
>>> I fired a merc. the other day that had been raised since he was a kid.
>>
>> What, did you catch him sleeping at his desk, or sitting on the copy
>> machine, or something?
>>
>> Hire Emilio (A2 NM HF). Emilio's good people.
>
> Pfft! I caught Emilio checking out chicks when he was supposed to be
> protecting me. Hire Chalan. Chalan is strong, resolute dependable.

Emilio?! Chalan?!
You've obviously never hired *Durga*. He's a dumb and frustrated ah heck,
but at the same time he's extremely aggressive and suicidal. What more
could you ask from your merc?

Sure, frantic as he is, he'll try to kill you as well, but few quick
thunderstorms seem to calm him down pretty efficiently.

--
Duergar

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

Duergar wrote:

> Emilio?! Chalan?!

*Azreal* is the man - I've got him hired for two of my chars. For some
reason, his level is different for each :-D

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 08:09:13 -0400, Nobody <anonymous@bogus.invalid>
wrote:

>Duergar wrote:
>
>> Emilio?! Chalan?!
>
>*Azreal* is the man - I've got him hired for two of my chars. For some
>reason, his level is different for each :-D

I also use Azrael! Isn't he the cat that chases after smurfs?

- Samiel

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 21:43:56 GMT, "Brian Kastel"
<be-ar-eye-ay-en-kay-ay-ess-tee-ee-ell@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>What, did you catch him sleeping at his desk, or sitting on the copy
>machine, or something?
>
>Hire Emilio (A2 NM HF). Emilio's good people.

His position was eliminated...

- Samiel

After going to <http://tinyurl.com/2tnqw>
Nobody <anonymous@bogus.invalid> wrote

>Duergar wrote:
>
>> Emilio?! Chalan?!
>
>*Azreal* is the man - I've got him hired for two of my chars. For some
>reason, his level is different for each :-D

No, no, no. It's all about Bill the Barbarian.
--
no, i didn't forget the 'F's
http://www.geocities.com/jerk_o2002