Okay, this has never happened to me before. I cannot get the quest to
trigger. What do I have to do? I've pretty much done everything the same
every time I play, but for some reason, Alkor won't give me the quest. I
even finished Act 3 completely, went back, and he still won't give it to me.
I even tried opening one of the stairs and going in, but still no trigger.
What gives?

I think it was "Brian Kastel"
<be-ar-eye-ay-en-kay-ay-ess-tee-ee-ell@tampabay.rr.com> that wrote
something like...

>Okay, this has never happened to me before. I cannot get the quest to
>trigger. What do I have to do? I've pretty much done everything the same
>every time I play, but for some reason, Alkor won't give me the quest. I
>even finished Act 3 completely, went back, and he still won't give it to me.
>I even tried opening one of the stairs and going in, but still no trigger.
>What gives?

If the quest is open in your quest log, I'd say just go into the
Ruined Temple in the Kurast Bazaar, grab the book and give it to
Alkor. Don't wait for him to ask for it!

Now, if it won't let you pick up the book, that's another problem
entirely! (I think)
; )

Ashen Shugar
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule!

"Ashen Shugar" wrote...
>I think it was "Brian Kastel"
> <be-ar-eye-ay-en-kay-ay-ess-tee-ee-ell@tampabay.rr.com> that wrote
> something like...
>
>>Okay, this has never happened to me before. I cannot get the quest to
>>trigger. What do I have to do? I've pretty much done everything the same
>>every time I play, but for some reason, Alkor won't give me the quest. I
>>even finished Act 3 completely, went back, and he still won't give it to
>>me.
>>I even tried opening one of the stairs and going in, but still no trigger.
>>What gives?
>>

> If the quest is open in your quest log, I'd say just go into the
> Ruined Temple in the Kurast Bazaar, grab the book and give it to
> Alkor. Don't wait for him to ask for it!
>
> Now, if it won't let you pick up the book, that's another problem
> entirely! (I think)
> ; )

The quest is not in my quest log. Alkor has not given me the quest. I have
not tried to search for the tome, as I think that if he has not given me the
quest to perform, I will not be able to get the tome.

I'll try again later, but if anyone has experienced this before, I'd like a
hint. :)

On that special day, Brian Kastel, (be-ar-eye-ay-en-kay-ay-ess-tee-ee-
ell@tampabay.rr.com) said...

> What do I have to do? I've pretty much done everything the same
> every time I play, but for some reason, Alkor won't give me the quest.

Normally, it should be triggered by entering the Kurast Bazaar, because
there are the first two temples.

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

--
Antenagenes, average skellimancer, lvl90 SP Patriarch

"Gabriele Neukam" wrote...
> On that special day, Brian Kastel, (be-ar-eye-ay-en-kay-ay-ess-tee-ee-
> ell@tampabay.rr.com) said...
>
>> What do I have to do? I've pretty much done everything the same
>> every time I play, but for some reason, Alkor won't give me the quest.
>
> Normally, it should be triggered by entering the Kurast Bazaar, because
> there are the first two temples.

That's what I thought, too, or at least something along those lines. No
dice. Weird.....

"Gabriele Neukam" wrote...

> Normally, it should be triggered by entering the Kurast Bazaar, because
> there are the first two temples.

You gave me the idea, though...

Lately, I've taken to just teleporting through the acts, *especially* Act 3,
which I've always hated. From WP to WP, I teleported, grabbing the body
parts when needed. Well, because of this, even though I went *through* the
Kurast Bazaar (and got the WP), I never actually *entered* it... In fact, I
remember teleporting across the woods barrier rather than locating the
passageway between that and Lower Kurast. So I just went back, "physically"
walked across the passage (having to actually kill those troublesome
monsters and demons blocking the way in order to do so _sheesh_), and then
Alkor was more than happy to give me the quest. Problem solved.

Thanks for the insight, Gabriele.

sliver

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005

"Brian Kastel" <be-ar-eye-ay-en-kay-ay-ess-tee-ee-ell@tampabay.rr.com> wrote
in message news:afMYe.112416$p_1.78556@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...

> "Gabriele Neukam" wrote...
>>
>> Normally, it should be triggered by entering the Kurast Bazaar, because
>> there are the first two temples.
>
> You gave me the idea, though...
>
> Lately, I've taken to just teleporting through the acts, *especially* Act
> 3, which I've always hated. From WP to WP, I teleported, grabbing the
> body parts when needed. Well, because of this, even though I went
> *through* the Kurast Bazaar (and got the WP), I never actually *entered*
> it... In fact, I remember teleporting across the woods barrier rather
> than locating the passageway between that and Lower Kurast. So I just
> went back, "physically" walked across the passage (having to actually kill
> those troublesome monsters and demons blocking the way in order to do so
> _sheesh_), and then Alkor was more than happy to give me the quest.
> Problem solved.
>
> Thanks for the insight, Gabriele.

Just for the record you can pick up the book without alkor mumbling in your
ear. That will trigger the quest every time.

--
In a World full of Insanity
Here I Stand.

Lam Esen's quest always triggered for me the moment I picked up the
book, or someone in my party picked up the book. No need to go
teleporting around, talking to people in town etc. Just go down in the
Ruined Temple in the Kurast Bazaar, kill the monsters, and pick up the
book off the stand. As soon as you pick up the book, the little red
quest button pops up.

Works sort of the same for me as soon as an act 3 boss monster drops the
bird statue, I get the red popup, and I know to look carefully through
all the booty on the ground pick it up.

"Sliver" <Sliver@REMOVETHIShotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "Brian Kastel" <be-ar-eye-ay-en-kay-ay-ess-tee-ee-ell@tampabay.rr.com>
> wrote in message news:afMYe.112416$p_1.78556@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>>
>> "Gabriele Neukam" wrote...
>>>
>>> Normally, it should be triggered by entering the Kurast Bazaar, because
>>> there are the first two temples.
>>
>> You gave me the idea, though...
>>
>> Lately, I've taken to just teleporting through the acts, *especially* Act
>> 3, which I've always hated. From WP to WP, I teleported, grabbing the
>> body parts when needed. Well, because of this, even though I went
>> *through* the Kurast Bazaar (and got the WP), I never actually *entered*
>> it... In fact, I remember teleporting across the woods barrier rather
>> than locating the passageway between that and Lower Kurast. So I just
>> went back, "physically" walked across the passage (having to actually
>> kill those troublesome monsters and demons blocking the way in order to
>> do so _sheesh_), and then Alkor was more than happy to give me the quest.
>> Problem solved.
>>
>> Thanks for the insight, Gabriele.
>
> Just for the record you can pick up the book without alkor mumbling in
> your ear. That will trigger the quest every time.
>
> --
> In a World full of Insanity
> Here I Stand.
> Sliver
Yep, you don't have to wait for Alkor. Just grab the book and give it to
him.

"Ralf Baumhoefer" wrote...

> "Sliver" wrote...
>>
>> Just for the record you can pick up the book without alkor mumbling in
>> your ear. That will trigger the quest every time.
>>
> Yep, you don't have to wait for Alkor. Just grab the book and give it to
> him.

Well, that's good to know, but I wasn't willing to risk it without knowing,
because I knew I was in for a serious battle to get to it. (The stalker
types in Hell -- fast and cold immune -- are quite dangerous to my little
sorceress, as her lightning power is lacking the needed +skills as yet.) I
did learn, however, from Ashen that it is always in the Ruined Temple. I
did not know that.

"Blue Jack Sky" wrote...

> Works sort of the same for me as soon as an act 3 boss monster drops the
> bird statue, I get the red popup, and I know to look carefully through
> all the booty on the ground pick it up.

Look carefully? Don't you use the Alt key to show everything lying on the
ground at once?

Hi,

"chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in

> D2 sorely needs an item filter, especially for Hell level--it is
> indeed a royal PITA to pick up dozens of little gold piles and feed
> your merc pots just so you can sort through what's there.

well, that was one function of maphack that I really loved in SP. It could
show specific item classes in specific colors, or not show them at all.
Only show gold piles above 1000 or what ever you want.

Ethereal stuff in red and so on.. Don't show red or blue potions, arrows,
bolts..

I admit, I would use a third-party tool that did just that on B-Net..

Regards,

Oliver