Netgear MR814 and PC-Card

Have a Netgear MR814 and am leaning toward a WG511 card. What is the better
choice for a PC-Card to access the MR814:

(1) Netgear MA521 B ONLY $42

(2) Netgear WG511 B+G $50

For only 8 bucks more, I could get a card that probably has more output
power and supports G if I ever upgrade the router.

Any opinion?
6 answers Last reply
More about netgear mr814 card

    On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 03:24:11 GMT, "Pat" <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > I could get a card that probably has more output
    >power

    I wouldn't assume that without checking the specs, and sensitivity can
    be at least as important. The g card makes sense for "future proofing"

    Phil
    --
    spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
    Come on down !

    "Pat" <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Have a Netgear MR814 and am leaning toward a WG511 card. What is the
    better
    > choice for a PC-Card to access the MR814:
    >
    > (1) Netgear MA521 B ONLY $42
    >
    > (2) Netgear WG511 B+G $50
    >

    > For only 8 bucks more, I could get a card that probably has more output
    > power and supports G if I ever upgrade the router.
    >
    > Any opinion?

    If you have a wireless G card which supports both 802.11b + 802.11g you
    have the option of upgrading to 802.11g in the future, whilst still
    retaining WiFi support.

    regards

    Andrew

    http://www.securelymobile.co.uk/
    Suppliers of Security, Wireless and Mobile Computer and Communication
    Solutions.

    Go with the WG511 card. It is backward compatible with your wireless
    b router, but can also access wireless g routers. Besides, the
    Netgear configuration utility is simple and easy to use.

    "Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoodotcom@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Go with the WG511 card. It is backward compatible with your wireless
    > b router, but can also access wireless g routers. Besides, the
    > Netgear configuration utility is simple and easy to use.

    Good point, but you can setup the WG511T as B or B+G, and have it forget
    about Super G.

    Given that scenario, the WG511T would be backward compatible. Therefore, it
    comes down to which card has:

    (1) Great Output (100mw, 200mw, ???)

    (2) Greater Receive Sensitivity

    My guess is that the WG511T has the WG511 beat in both categories, but I
    have not seen any specs to prove it.

    The WG511 is Intersil chip based and the WG511T is Atheros chip based. Plus,
    the WG511T has a significantly thisker and more pronounced antenna.

    Oh, I know about the WG511T card. I am currently using one and it is
    awesome.

    > Oh, I know about the WG511T card. I am currently using one and it is
    > awesome.

    If you're looking for a powerful 802.11b card, and don't care about G or
    Super G speeds, with range being the main criteria:

    SMC2532W-B
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=33-129-120&depa=0

    Outputs at 200mW
    Has -89dBm Receive Sensitivity

    "Receive Sensitivity is how much signal a card needs to receive in order to
    work at that speed level. A 3 dB difference is double the power. You can now
    see some cards are getting much better distances."
    http://freenetworks.org/moin/index.cgi/ReceiveSensitivity

Wireless Netgear Internet Wireless Networking