MF builds

I've recently had some luck with finding MF items. After finding a 29/60
and a 29/72 Nagelring, Meph was nice enough to give me a 30/61 Nagelring
and an Ali Baba. So far I've been using my CL/FO sorc for MFing because
she's the only sorc I have. Now that I have some more decent MF gear I'm
considering building a new character purely for MFing.

I'm a bit short on time, so I don't want to waste any time on characters
that end up not working. ;-P So I thought I'd ask you guys and gals
about your MF experiences. The diabloii.net fora are mainly about
blizzard sorcs (which I hate) and meteorbs (which I dislike). So that
doesn't leave much in the form of guides. :p I've read about MF
skelliemancers. How well do they fare and are there any special
considerations for them as MF chars?

I know I'd enjoy a Hydra/FO sorc, but I think they're rather weak now.
Any thoughts on that? Or should I just stick to my CL/FO sorc? Thanks in
advance for any advice,

Sjoerd

"SjoerdH" <shenstra@REVERSEmoc.liamg> wrote in message
> I've recently had some luck with finding MF items. After finding a 29/60
> and a 29/72 Nagelring, Meph was nice enough to give me a 30/61 Nagelring
> and an Ali Baba. So far I've been using my CL/FO sorc for MFing because
> she's the only sorc I have. Now that I have some more decent MF gear I'm
> considering building a new character purely for MFing.
>
> I'm a bit short on time, so I don't want to waste any time on characters
> that end up not working. ;-P So I thought I'd ask you guys and gals about
> your MF experiences. The diabloii.net fora are mainly about blizzard sorcs
> (which I hate) and meteorbs (which I dislike). So that doesn't leave much
> in the form of guides. :p I've read about MF skelliemancers. How well do
> they fare and are there any special considerations for them as MF chars?
>
> I know I'd enjoy a Hydra/FO sorc, but I think they're rather weak now. Any
> thoughts on that? Or should I just stick to my CL/FO sorc? Thanks in
> advance for any advice,
>
> Sjoerd

The first choice to make is if you'll be just running bosses or clearing
entire areas on MF runs. A skellimancer isn't just going to teleport to Baal
and start a new game (unless you have an Enigma handy) - instead, he kills
everything in the Keep on the way down, then kills Baal. Fewer boss kills,
but more kills total while sweeping the lvl 85 maps. Another advantage is
that skellimancers can survive MF runs wearing total junk, like 3-topaz
helms and 4-topaz armors.
--
Zamboni

Oliver Wenzel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "Alex Holtz" <aholtz29@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1127713725.059178.71540
> @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
> >
> > While teleporting characters are generally the best MF chars, the
> > ghetto skellimancer provides nice varieties as he can clear WSKs very
> > safely. As mentioned by someone else, hammerdin is another good build
> > to MF with. Hammerdin however is slightly item-dependant; you'll need
> > enough mana to spam hammers (spirit+insight), and enough resistances
> > and/or elemental absorb since you'll be standing dock while spamming
> > hammers.
>
> that's plain wrong. You can easily shift-move while spamming hammers.

Plain wrong? Easily shift-move? I find it very hard when dealing with
Black Souls or Skeleton Archers. If you find them ridicilously easy,
then I'm glad for you. Honestly, I never MF with a hammerdin before I
have acquired high-end items for him; even though I absolutely agree
that hammerdin does not need such items to MF, especially at the hand
of advanced players such as yourself. With my obviously inferior
playing skill, I dare not bring a poorly equipped hammerdin to MF in
WSKs; I leave that to a skellimancer.

> Insight can be dropped at higher levels - with about 700 Mana I can cast
> hammers like forever.

Dropped in favor of what? Personally, I have not found better merc
than Prayer + Insight for hammerdin. Insight saves me the hassle of
carrying mana potions. More full rejuvenation potions mean less muling
time mean more MFing time. I have not started a hammerdin this season.
Last season, my hammerdin's merc had maximum damage in the 7500 range
with Concentration aura active.

Hi,

SjoerdH <shenstra@REVERSEmoc.liamg> wrote in news:43370f9f$0$97600
$dbd4b001@news.wanadoo.nl:

> I'm a bit short on time, so I don't want to waste any time on
characters
> that end up not working. ;-P So I thought I'd ask you guys and gals
> about your MF experiences. The diabloii.net fora are mainly about
> blizzard sorcs (which I hate) and meteorbs (which I dislike). So that
> doesn't leave much in the form of guides. :p I've read about MF
> skelliemancers. How well do they fare and are there any special
> considerations for them as MF chars?

fastest and easiest build is a Hammerdin. I started mine on tuesday and
he is level 84 now (USWest SC Ladder).

Spirit sword/shield can be used early and are cheap. Spirit in a high res
all shield gets you about 70 res all. Wizardspike gives nice fast cast
and 75 res all, too.

With the Anya quests, Wizardspike and a shield cover all resist needs.
Now you are free to pack your guy with MF items galore.

I'm using a Defiance merc, but Holy Freeze might work well, too.

You got to be careful in tight places, but most level 85 areas should be
easily doable.

Skills: Blessed Hammers, Concentrate, Blessed Aim and Vigor. Rest in Holy
Shield and you are set..

CU,

Oliver

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 22:59:10 +0200, SjoerdH wrote:

> I'm a bit short on time, so I don't want to waste any time on characters
> that end up not working. ;-P So I thought I'd ask you guys and gals
> about your MF experiences. The diabloii.net fora are mainly about
> blizzard sorcs (which I hate) and meteorbs (which I dislike). So that
> doesn't leave much in the form of guides. :p I've read about MF
> skelliemancers. How well do they fare and are there any special
> considerations for them as MF chars?

There is a barbarian MF-build on d2.net that I am making right now. He is
great fun:

http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=577

He is based on the Immortal King Set. I don't know how rich you are in
d2-economy, but the most expensive part of him must be the IK armor.

--
Now Playing:
Kliché - Bravo Charlie

Hi,

"Alex Holtz" <aholtz29@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1127713725.059178.71540
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> While teleporting characters are generally the best MF chars, the
> ghetto skellimancer provides nice varieties as he can clear WSKs very
> safely. As mentioned by someone else, hammerdin is another good build
> to MF with. Hammerdin however is slightly item-dependant; you'll need
> enough mana to spam hammers (spirit+insight), and enough resistances
> and/or elemental absorb since you'll be standing dock while spamming
> hammers.

that's plain wrong. You can easily shift-move while spamming hammers.
Insight can be dropped at higher levels - with about 700 Mana I can cast
hammers like forever.

From what I've seen, you can even cast hammers at normal speed when
heavily frozen - just can't move that fast. OTOH, when you need to get
away fast, you could switch to Vigor..

Spirit shield/sword is cheap for starting chars. I just found a 44 res
all Arkan Rondage - with Spirit that's 79 res all (except fire). With
Wizardspike - easy to trade for - that's 154 res all. Add in Anya quests
and you got 184 res all.

Now all other gear spots are free to fill in with MF items.. And you got
lots of space in your inventory - can you say life and mf charms?

+2 helmet and ammy shouldn't be to difficult to get, too.

CU,

Oliver