PC800 ECC RDRAM, verifying compatibility.

All,

On a Dimension 8200, am I correct in assuming that I can mix PC800 ECC and
non-ECC and that only the ECC function will be lost?

Support.dell.com shows only non-ECC supported, and I'm wondering if the
system will take it at all:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8200/specs.htm#1101572

However, 4allmemory.com lists ECC PC800 as a possible option:

http://www.4allmemory.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.memorySearch&model_id=24927

The support pages are no help regarding any BIOS/ECC memory on/off settings,
and I just plain can't remember....

Anyone ever installed ECC RDRAM into an 8200?

Thanks,

Stew
(Looking for a cheaper upgrade for someone else. $120+ for 256mb upgrade? I
think not.......)
4 answers Last reply
More about pc800 rdram verifying compatibility

    Stew,

    On the 8200, yes you can mix ECC and non-ECC PC800 Rambus memory. Been there
    and done that. The ECC operates as non-ECC.

    Precisions are far more precise with Rambus. ECC only.

    And of course, the Rambus does not have to be Dell-branded. All Rambus is
    generic, with Dell, Gateway, IBM, Compaq or other stickers to make you feel like
    you are getting something VERY special.

    I have also mixed Rambus from different manufacturers (i.e. Samsung, Infineion,
    Toshiba, NEC) as long as the speed grade, number of chips per RIMM and parity
    (ECC vs. non-ECC) match... Ben Myers

    > Stew,
    >
    > On the 8200, yes you can mix ECC and non-ECC PC800 Rambus memory. Been
    > there
    > and done that. The ECC operates as non-ECC.
    >
    > Precisions are far more precise with Rambus. ECC only.
    >
    > And of course, the Rambus does not have to be Dell-branded. All Rambus is
    > generic, with Dell, Gateway, IBM, Compaq or other stickers to make you
    > feel like
    > you are getting something VERY special.
    >
    > I have also mixed Rambus from different manufacturers (i.e. Samsung,
    > Infineion,
    > Toshiba, NEC) as long as the speed grade, number of chips per RIMM and
    > parity
    > (ECC vs. non-ECC) match... Ben Myers

    <snip>

    Ben,

    Thank you, sir. I wasn't worried about the branding mix so much (as I have
    seen them mixed), but rather about actually using ECC RIMMs in the 8200,
    which you've now confirmed for me - and I appreciate that.

    Not concerned at all about losing the ECC function, which I would expect.

    I've got my eye on a pair (PC800 ECC) over on ebay that I'll snag if no one
    gets trigger happy near auction close.

    Thanks again for the verification.

    Stew

    ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in

    > Stew,
    >
    > On the 8200, yes you can mix ECC and non-ECC PC800 Rambus memory.
    > Been there and done that. The ECC operates as non-ECC.
    >
    > Precisions are far more precise with Rambus. ECC only.

    How does one tell the difference, aside from sticking it in the system
    and seeing if it works ? Is there a way to tell from the numbers whether
    it's ECC or Non-ECC ? I can't count the chips, they're behind a metal
    shield.

    I've got a 1.7 ghz Dimension 8100 and a 1.8 ghz Optiplex GX400 (Which
    appear to be identical motherboards, just different plastic on the
    cases).

    Bios just tells me I have "512MB RDRAM", doesn't mention ECC or non-ECC.

    BTW - If anyone's junking a 8100 or GX400, I need the green plastic fan
    shrouds for both my machines.

    <FM>

    Fred,

    Manufacturers' part numbers are often difficult to decode. For example, Samsung
    RIMMs contain either a 16 or an 18 soemwhere in the middle of the part number to
    denote non-ECC or ECC, respectively. Most of the time, the OEM label designates
    the RIMM as ECC, and it is moot for a non-ECC part.

    By examining the reverse side of a RIMM, you can also count the number of chips
    by their outlines. The number of chips on a RIMM is also incorporated into the
    manufacturers' part numbers, usually as a suffix. You cannot mix RIMMs of the
    same capacity in the same bank if they have different numbers of chips, e.g.
    128/8 and 128/4... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 11:07:40 -0500, Fred Mau <fred-dot-mau@comcast.net> wrote:

    >ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in
    >
    >> Stew,
    >>
    >> On the 8200, yes you can mix ECC and non-ECC PC800 Rambus memory.
    >> Been there and done that. The ECC operates as non-ECC.
    >>
    >> Precisions are far more precise with Rambus. ECC only.
    >>

    >How does one tell the difference, aside from sticking it in the system
    >and seeing if it works ? Is there a way to tell from the numbers whether
    >it's ECC or Non-ECC ? I can't count the chips, they're behind a metal
    >shield.
    >
    >I've got a 1.7 ghz Dimension 8100 and a 1.8 ghz Optiplex GX400 (Which
    >appear to be identical motherboards, just different plastic on the
    >cases).
    >
    >Bios just tells me I have "512MB RDRAM", doesn't mention ECC or non-ECC.
    >
    >BTW - If anyone's junking a 8100 or GX400, I need the green plastic fan
    >shrouds for both my machines.
    >
    > <FM>

Dell Compatibility Computers