Why is a bridge so much more expensive than an AP or router

Yuki

I can find a Super-G AP/router for about $50, but a G bridge is still
$100-150.
I can almost get a pair of WDS-capable AP/routers instead of extending an
existing router with a bridge.

yuki

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 20:33:51 -0700, "yuki" <notread_news@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I can find a Super-G AP/router for about $50, but a G bridge is still
>$100-150.

because a bridge has two lots of radio kit in it ?

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !

Not necessarily. The Buffalo 802.11b AP/bridges are both AP
and bridge (and could do both simultaneously unlike Linksys
and some others, I understand), and so AP and bridge cost
the same because they are the same unit.

I believe---correct me if wrong---that the new
Buffalo 802.11b/g boxes which use I think the Broadcom chip
are also still combined AP/bridge, and can bridge not only to
other Buffalo 802.11b/g AP/bridges
but also to the older Buffalo 802.11b AP/bridges, or so I
was told.

Can bridging work between different manufacturers?
What are the possible values of X and Y where
manufacturer X's bridge can bridge with manufacturer Y's bridges?

c hore <carhore@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Can bridging work between different manufacturers?

Sometimes. Buffalo's equipment can bridge to the Apple AirPort Extreme
Base Station. (AFAIK, both use Broadcom.)

> What are the possible values of X and Y where manufacturer X's bridge can
> bridge with manufacturer Y's bridges?

I didn't know there would be math on this exam.

Yuki

"c hore" <carhore@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Not necessarily. The Buffalo 802.11b AP/bridges are both AP
> and bridge (and could do both simultaneously unlike Linksys
> and some others, I understand), and so AP and bridge cost
> the same because they are the same unit.
>
> I believe---correct me if wrong---that the new
> Buffalo 802.11b/g boxes which use I think the Broadcom chip
> are also still combined AP/bridge, and can bridge not only to
> other Buffalo 802.11b/g AP/bridges
> but also to the older Buffalo 802.11b AP/bridges, or so I
> was told.

I actually bought one of these Buffalo 802.11b AP/router a while ago.
I flashed the firmware, set it up as an AP, worked fine.
Then I tried to enable WDS to bridge to my main NetGear FWAG114 AP/router,
but I could not make it work.

> Can bridging work between different manufacturers?

I am not even sure if I can get those cheaper NetGear AP/router that are
capable of WDS to bridge to my FWAG114.

I may be able to use one of those game adapter instead of a full bridge, but
I don't know if I can put a hub/switch to run multiple devices.

yuki