GeForce FX Benchmarks I think Legit..

rubikian

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
<A HREF="http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2002Nov/bga20021126017492.htm" target="_new">http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2002Nov/bga20021126017492.htm</A>

Just changed to a link...

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
If you look at the source you can see that it´s the same nVidia-benchmarks that have been floating around the net for about a week.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

eden

Champion
Again as I said many times, they CANNOT be exaggerated. A lie can be taken to court. They probably are biased with a good system combo, but NOT created!

--
*You can do anything you set your mind to man. -Eminem

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
There have been a couple people who countered those scores. For example, one dude with a XP2700+, nForce2 and a R9700 Pro did the Nature test, at the same settings and got IIRC 40.2FPS. It was real close and that doesn't say much for the GFFX. Also, the GFFX tests were run on a P4 3.06GHz which is faster than the XP2700+.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

rubikian

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
We'll be sure when the real thing from toms is benchmarked with the same system setting...

Seriously, if GF FX is no better than R9700, then why the heck Nvidia want to release it? Sure it's going to be better then but how much is the question...

eden

Champion
If I am not mistaken these scores are with full 4X FSAA and 8X Anisotropy, so the 40FPS should be rechecked on that person's system with these settings enabled!

--

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
i wont believe it until the final product is released and reviewed by a respectable site like THG...

the scores are impressive nonthelesss.. interesting to see how they will compare to a radeon9700

eden

Champion
Now if the current R9500PRO had a sudden boost in performance by its drivers, shouldn't the entire R300 serie be entitled to that as well? Shouldn't that in reality mean the R9700PRO can distance even further now than ever, over the Ti4600?
Ahhh the questions we ask.

--

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
yes Eden this is true..

sinse they all run on the same core, with only memory bandwidth differences then they would all be treated exactly same by the drivers, and any performance increase would be the same (taking in memory speed differences of coz)

bloaty

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002
9700 can easilly get 40 fps with 4x aa and all that other crap on. I get 30 fps in the nature demo with my crappy system and an xp2000 with my radeon 9700. I dont know if those scores are true but if so nvidia will look like a fatfaced pos with all this "new era" crap and the money theyve spent on advertising.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Yeah, he's not lying. He did it at 1280x1024 and 4X FSAA and 8x aniso. 40.2FPS...

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

eden

Champion
OUCH!

As you can see Chuck, this is proof that the only people who really care and have heard about GF FX are indeed the tech sector people. No Joe Blow on the street will go see this and get hooked. If there is, only 1% of the population will have been Joe Blows, the rest is us. And that proves that we all know behind nVidia's little marketting, and that it doesn't affect us. Therefore, they will need better numbers otherwise nobody will really buy into it or even buy the card!
--
**Canadian joke:
Here we don't say the word "retarded", we say "Alliance"! -Mike Bullard**<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 11/30/02 05:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
Isn´t the other way around? The "normal" consumer is easily affected by all the marketing and the talk about "the dawn of cinematic computing", whereas we have a better idea about the differences in the chips.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

eden

Champion
But where exactly is that consumer gonna hear about it?
Does your grandpa who might check his e-mail occasionally and surf the web know about nvidia.com?
Will your mom who watches TV have any idea about what GF FX is?

Face it people, the enthusiast community is the one nVidia is targetting, because THEY CAN'T reach others!
Therefore they are not winning anything right now with this hype!

--
The THGC Photo Album project,<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">CLICK HERE!</A>

nirdinur

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
Nvidia is not targeting the well educated, fact checker gamers, we are buying or recommending based on THG benchmarks. But I've met some people who have partial knowledge or even wrong facts but consider themselves as experts. The worst thing is that those people not only do stupid decitions for themselves, they are also the Gurus of others causing them to waste money as well. I saw a lot of them selling computers in shops. I think nVidia is targeting those people, and they are doing a good job, hiding completly ATI as the leader in 3d.

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
sadly, one of my friends who is a hardware enthusiast, and gamer has fallen for the hype of the GFFX. he hasnt even read a benchmark and hes CONVINCED that he wants one, just because its Nvidia.

hes even willing to dish out 500bucks for this thing, even if the r300 is faster... i mean WTF.. whats with these Nvidia super-fans? why cant they just realize the truth?

davepermen

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
well, all i can do is prevent all the ones i know of buying nvidia cards (of course only, because currently they are _NOT_ the best thing compared to price and quality and speed, if they would, i would support them..)

i know of so much runnign around _WOAH_WHAT_THE_GFFX_CAN_DO_!!!!!!!!!!!

then i say. come, come to me, sit down, watch your gfFX running. and i show him the gfFX. after all, its a red card, without an airdrier and all. and i state him look. you know what the gfFX is? the same, but at a much higher price.. would you have buyed an intel processor for 1000sfr, while you coudl get a faster amd for 200sfr? (swiss franks:D). then he starts thinking. buying amd is cool, buying intel is not (i have intel only btw:D). then he thinks.. nvidia == intel? ati == amd?. did i got fooled by nvidia?.
i often don't have to tell much more..

see, i don't know of anyone who run around _WOAH_ radeon9700. but tons still ran around _WOAH_GF4_. and then _WOAH_SOMEDAY_NEXT_NVIDIA_GPU_. and i just had to say stop, dude. stop running, and _LOOK_ what you actually have..

but its amazing how difficult it is to explain that to people. like some religion-problem. its fun how a simple product name means "cool, buy me, no mather what i am"..

"take a look around" - limp bizkit

www.google.com

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
yes exactly ~~

I buy AMD processors because they are faster and cheaper compared to their Intel counterpart (an AthlonXP 2000+ will kick a p4 2ghz, no problem. plus you can usually get an AthlonXp for a few 100$ less.. wheres the logic?), not because Im 'anti-intel' like so many people nowadays.

If Intel made a cheap, very fast processor like AMD, then I would buy it! but they dont. Intel makes a very fast, EXPENSIVE processor.

same goes for Nvidia and ATI. i have to admit I am kinda rooting for the underdog in this circumstance (i like ATI). ATI has delivered great products ever sinse the Radeon has been introduced (the old radeon 7500 is such a nice card, too bad no one realized it. the 7500 is easily as fast as the fastest GF2 TI. and the 8500.. i simply love that card.. it IS faster than the GF3, sinse the driveres have been fixed). ATI isnt nessesarily cheaper than Nvidia.. but they seem more honest.