Socketing ethereal armours via the Cube recipe

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Hi,

I'm sure I read about this a while ago, perhaps even in these groups, but
yesterday-evening, I ran into this myself.

When doing some questing I'd found a plain ethereal Wire Fleece, with a
rather nice defense (something like 66x). Hoping to get 3 sockets, for
Duress for my merc, I put it in the cube, together with a Tal, Thul and
PTopaz, and pressed transmute.

What came out was unfortunately a 1-socket ethereal Wire Fleece. The big
surprise, however, was that this armor had 99x defense!

Wasn't there some sort of new bug introduced in 1.11 where the ethereal
bonus was counted twice? I.e., suppose a basic non ethereal Wire Fleece
has 440 def, ethereal it will be 1.5 x 440 = 660 def. After socketing it
in the cube the 1.5 factor is used again, resulting in 1.5 x 660 = 990
def.

After this, I contacted a trade-relation of mine, and he had 2 plain
ethereal elite armors left: a Boneweave and a Balrog Skin. The Balrog skin
got 4 sockets, and 1057 def, the Boneweave also 4 sockets, and 96x def.

These will be some _very_ good merc armors once you put the righ runes in
(Fortitude f.i.)....

So what other applications does this have, and does this also occur with
other stuff put in the cube? For instance, what happens when you upgrade
an ethereal Duriels Shell?

Regards,

Patrick.

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

I think it was Patrick Vervoorn
<patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> that wrote something
like...

>Hi,
>
>I'm sure I read about this a while ago, perhaps even in these groups, but
>yesterday-evening, I ran into this myself.
>
>When doing some questing I'd found a plain ethereal Wire Fleece, with a
>rather nice defense (something like 66x). Hoping to get 3 sockets, for
>Duress for my merc, I put it in the cube, together with a Tal, Thul and
>PTopaz, and pressed transmute.
>
>What came out was unfortunately a 1-socket ethereal Wire Fleece. The big
>surprise, however, was that this armor had 99x defense!
>
>Wasn't there some sort of new bug introduced in 1.11 where the ethereal
>bonus was counted twice? I.e., suppose a basic non ethereal Wire Fleece
>has 440 def, ethereal it will be 1.5 x 440 = 660 def. After socketing it
>in the cube the 1.5 factor is used again, resulting in 1.5 x 660 = 990
>def.
>
>After this, I contacted a trade-relation of mine, and he had 2 plain
>ethereal elite armors left: a Boneweave and a Balrog Skin. The Balrog skin
>got 4 sockets, and 1057 def, the Boneweave also 4 sockets, and 96x def.
>
>These will be some _very_ good merc armors once you put the righ runes in
>(Fortitude f.i.)....
>
>So what other applications does this have, and does this also occur with
>other stuff put in the cube? For instance, what happens when you upgrade
>an ethereal Duriels Shell?
>
>Regards,
>
>Patrick.

Ahh, this sounds like a side effect of the eth armor upgrade fix. It
used to be that upgrading an exceptional armor to elite would remove
the eth bonus without removing the etherealness. It almost seems like
to fix that problem, rather than fixing the cause, they just made it
re-apply the eth bonus after an armor has been cubed. But in the case
of adding sockets, you're not changing the base type, so the eth bonus
was never lost, but because of their fix, it gets applied again
anyway.
I've got some nice looking eth balrog skin. Going to have to try this
out before they fix it. ; )

Ashen Shugar
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule!

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

I think it was deathsabyss@yahoo.com.au (Ashen Shugar) that wrote
something like...

>I think it was Patrick Vervoorn
><patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> that wrote something
>like...
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm sure I read about this a while ago, perhaps even in these groups, but
>>yesterday-evening, I ran into this myself.
>>
>>When doing some questing I'd found a plain ethereal Wire Fleece, with a
>>rather nice defense (something like 66x). Hoping to get 3 sockets, for
>>Duress for my merc, I put it in the cube, together with a Tal, Thul and
>>PTopaz, and pressed transmute.
>>
>>What came out was unfortunately a 1-socket ethereal Wire Fleece. The big
>>surprise, however, was that this armor had 99x defense!
>>
>>Wasn't there some sort of new bug introduced in 1.11 where the ethereal
>>bonus was counted twice? I.e., suppose a basic non ethereal Wire Fleece
>>has 440 def, ethereal it will be 1.5 x 440 = 660 def. After socketing it
>>in the cube the 1.5 factor is used again, resulting in 1.5 x 660 = 990
>>def.
>>
>>After this, I contacted a trade-relation of mine, and he had 2 plain
>>ethereal elite armors left: a Boneweave and a Balrog Skin. The Balrog skin
>>got 4 sockets, and 1057 def, the Boneweave also 4 sockets, and 96x def.
>>
>>These will be some _very_ good merc armors once you put the righ runes in
>>(Fortitude f.i.)....
>>
>>So what other applications does this have, and does this also occur with
>>other stuff put in the cube? For instance, what happens when you upgrade
>>an ethereal Duriels Shell?
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Patrick.
>
>Ahh, this sounds like a side effect of the eth armor upgrade fix. It
>used to be that upgrading an exceptional armor to elite would remove
>the eth bonus without removing the etherealness. It almost seems like
>to fix that problem, rather than fixing the cause, they just made it
>re-apply the eth bonus after an armor has been cubed. But in the case
>of adding sockets, you're not changing the base type, so the eth bonus
>was never lost, but because of their fix, it gets applied again
>anyway.
>I've got some nice looking eth balrog skin. Going to have to try this
>out before they fix it. ; )

And damned if I didn't only get 1 socket in it. What is it with this
game? I have *never* gotten more than 1 socket when using the cube to
socket ethereal armour!!
But it did go up to 1104 def. Wonder if they're just going to leave
it like this? At a guess it won't be fixed until they can also ensure
that upgrading rare and unique eth armor won't loose the eth bonus.
And if they couldn't find the cause of that to fix it properly rather
than slapping a bandaid fix on it, this little feature might be around
for quite a while. Which makes my perfect eth Ornate plate I found
worthless. Not that it really makes any difference to me, but really,
it's the principal of the thing. It'd be like re-printing Black
Lotus's. ; )

Ashen Shugar
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule!

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

Ashen Shugar wrote:
> And damned if I didn't only get 1 socket in it. What is it with this
> game? I have *never* gotten more than 1 socket when using the cube to
> socket ethereal armour!!

Yeah, well, maybe somebody will discover a good 1-rune runeword for
it... LOL.

deathsabyss@yahoo.com.au (Ashen Shugar) wrote in

> And damned if I didn't only get 1 socket in it. What is it with this
> game? I have *never* gotten more than 1 socket when using the cube to
> socket ethereal armour!!
> But it did go up to 1104 def. Wonder if they're just going to leave
> it like this? At a guess it won't be fixed until they can also ensure
> that upgrading rare and unique eth armor won't loose the eth bonus.
> And if they couldn't find the cause of that to fix it properly rather
> than slapping a bandaid fix on it, this little feature might be around
> for quite a while. Which makes my perfect eth Ornate plate I found
> worthless. Not that it really makes any difference to me, but really,
> it's the principal of the thing. It'd be like re-printing Black
> Lotus's. ; )

if they would fix it someday, all ethereal armors created with the bug will
cost several high runes, at least. So you might want to stock up (and cube)
on these thingies.

Regards,

Oliver

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

I think it was Oliver Wenzel <ouuch@t-online.de> that wrote something
like...

>Hi,
>
>deathsabyss@yahoo.com.au (Ashen Shugar) wrote in
>

>> And damned if I didn't only get 1 socket in it. What is it with this
>> game? I have *never* gotten more than 1 socket when using the cube to
>> socket ethereal armour!!
>> But it did go up to 1104 def. Wonder if they're just going to leave
>> it like this? At a guess it won't be fixed until they can also ensure
>> that upgrading rare and unique eth armor won't loose the eth bonus.
>> And if they couldn't find the cause of that to fix it properly rather
>> than slapping a bandaid fix on it, this little feature might be around
>> for quite a while. Which makes my perfect eth Ornate plate I found
>> worthless. Not that it really makes any difference to me, but really,
>> it's the principal of the thing. It'd be like re-printing Black
>> Lotus's. ; )
>
>if they would fix it someday, all ethereal armors created with the bug will
>cost several high runes, at least. So you might want to stock up (and cube)
>on these thingies.
>
>Regards,
>
>Oliver

Phew! I'd just had a scary thought, but fortunately, they haven't
screwed up their programming that badly.

Using the cube to un-socket an eth armor *doesn't* get its eth bonus
applied again, and there aren't any recipes that would work with
socket white armour. That could have gotten crazy.