MSMSGS.EXE

My understanding is that this file, msmsgs.exe, is Windows
Messenger. I have "disabled" and "stopped" this program
using Start/Run/services.msc/Services/Messenger and yet it
keeps appearing in the Windows Task Manager. Even if I end
the process through the Windows Task Manager before
running services.msc it will pop back up in less than a
minute. Rebooting is not help either. Any ideas???

Thanks for any help!!!

Greetings,

The "Messenger" in Services has nothing to do with Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger, as
such, disabling it there will have no affect on either of these applications.

To really disable it, open it up (click Start, then Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK), click
Tools, Options, Preferences tab and uncheck 'Run this Program when Windows starts' or 'Run
Windows Messenger when Windows starts' (depending on version) as well as 'Allow this program
to run in the background' or 'Allow Windows Messenger to run in the background' (depending on
version). This won't remove Windows Messenger, so features like Remote Assistance, Whiteboard
and Application Sharing will continue to work, but it will let it stay out of your way.

Also, do you have Norton Antivirus installed? Recent versions of Norton Antivirus added a
new "instant messaging scanning" feature, which can conflict with Messenger and cause it to
also keep starting. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus
icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'),
click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"AngeM" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My understanding is that this file, msmsgs.exe, is Windows
> Messenger. I have "disabled" and "stopped" this program
> using Start/Run/services.msc/Services/Messenger and yet it
> keeps appearing in the Windows Task Manager. Even if I end
> the process through the Windows Task Manager before
> running services.msc it will pop back up in less than a
> minute. Rebooting is not help either. Any ideas???
>
> Thanks for any help!!!

Hi Jonathan,

I bet it's Norton as I had already taken care of the
msmsgs Preferences. Thanks for the help!!!

Jonathan Kay.

>"AngeM" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> My understanding is that this file, msmsgs.exe, is
Windows
>> Messenger. I have "disabled" and "stopped" this program
>> using Start/Run/services.msc/Services/Messenger and yet
it
>> keeps appearing in the Windows Task Manager. Even if I
end
>> the process through the Windows Task Manager before
>> running services.msc it will pop back up in less than a
>> minute. Rebooting is not help either. Any ideas???
>>
>> Thanks for any help!!!
>

>.

Hi,

You're very welcome =)

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> I bet it's Norton as I had already taken care of the
> msmsgs Preferences. Thanks for the help!!!

hi guyz...ummm i just scanned my computer n removed all d virus n stuff..
but now when i sign in msn messenger beta, it says msmgs.exe is missing...
n i tried to download older versions of messengers....but it sayz u aldrdy have a newer version,n i deleted d windows essentials.....n all d windows messenger files..how do i get things to work,or how do i reload msmgs.exe?
_PLEASE I NEED HELP