128mb GF4 Ti4200 for $89!!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Yep, it is BestBuy time again. For those who want to stand in line this Friday morning you may have many treats awaiting for you inside. Not to mention 17" LCD monitors for $399, 14" LCD for what?? $149 etc. etc.

Check out:

<A HREF="http://www.bestbuy.com/Homepage/WeeklyStoreAd.asp?b=0" target="_new">Weekly Adds at Bestbuy.com</A>

Type in your zip and see some of the good thingy's that your girl friend or wife will want you to own. For some of you, your boy friend, but I won't go there, ooppps except for the ladies.

johnoh

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
Bad link dude. You may have made a mistake.

Here in Dallas, normally one of the cheaper places to buy parts, BestBuy.com tells me I can get a 128mb PNY Ti4200 for $239.99. Tell me exactly what to type in after I use your link and I will call that store wherever they are and have them ship me a 128mb Ti4200. Thank you.

<i>Reason the only absolute. Irrationality the only enemy. </i>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
The above link works for me, hmmm, try this one:

<A HREF="http://www.bestbuy.com" target="_new">http://www.bestbuy.com</A>

On left side, click on the <b>Browse Weekly Add</b>, stick in your zip and see if the deal available to us Floridians is available to the steer people, I mean Texans :smile: . Below is a image of the add:

<A HREF="http://home.cfl.rr.com/noko/gf4ti4200.jpg" target="_new">Snapshot of BestBuy Add</A>

Last year I picked up a GF3 Ti200 for $99 which I still used now and a few other great buys at the time.

johnoh

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
Got it noko, thanks. My pop up killer had disabled adobe. What a deal. Also $50 for a 75gb 7200rpm hdd, not bad.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Just remember, these deals start tomorrow, the line will be long 1 hour before the store opens, 2 hours you should be in a good location for the mad rush. It is fun by the way. I hope you know where the stuff is because the really good deals go fast. Last year I grabbed the last GF3 Ti200 on the shelf (yes the last) and I was there about 75 minutes before they opened. If your store has the this add, then they must have at least 10 on the shelf, usually they will have more but this is a very good deal as you can see. Too bad you can't scout out the store locations prior. Me and my wife rushed in, she went her way, I went my way and we ment up at the cash register like 10 minutes into the store. About 5min in line and checked out. If you wait too long you will have a long wait inside the store as well. Have fun :smile: .

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
GOT IT! I just ran over and got one.........157 dollars with rebates that result in final price of 89 dollars. I am currently checking it out... Only thing is that I got a bench mark (3d mark 2001se) of 8163. I compared it at 3d mark and the only computer that was close to my setup had a benchmark of 10,000; but that computer had a processor running at 1408, compared to mine at 1391. Also, the comparison system had the latest nvidia drivers (I don't yet). Does anyone know if the processor speed would affect the difference in results? Also, could someone share what else would improve results? I have a 400 power supply, but its generic (in case anyone is wondering). All in all, I really can't complain about the benchmark; considering I am up from a benchmark of around approx between 3500-3800 with my old 64mb gf2 mx400. For $89.00 it seems worth it. By the way...it doesn't have any overclocking software.

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
Loaded latest nvidia drivers...my benchmark went up to 8814...noticed that tweaking drivers...can cause big differences in benchmarks...at one point benchmark went down to 6632 with tweaking...but when first loaded driver updates got 8814 without tweaking.......just interesting information.

johnoh

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
CPU clock can make a big difference, but not if you mean 1391 vs 1408.

noticed that tweaking drivers...can cause big differences in benchmarks
How are you tweaking the drivers? I do not understand unless you mean changing to a different driver version.

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
ok, this has happened to me as well

if you want a good tweaker then download NVTweak .. itll let you change anything.

i have found that starting with the defaults and changing obvious things like the zbuffer compression, texture quality/vs/speed, really makes a diff.. alot of the times if you change alot of things you can actually decrease perfomance as in your case.. i can tell you tho that your scores should be higher than 8000.. your processor is like only 10mhz slower so thats not important.

what kind of ram do you have? SDR or DDR? what speed? what kind of processor? Duron or Athlon? and have you overclocked the card? if yes then to what speeds?

you might wanna check to see if you got the newest AGP drivers for you mobo too

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
Sorry, johnoh...maybe I am describing what I am doing with the drivers in the wrong terms....I mean adjusting driver settings...is this not called tweaking? Now, I am not sure...but I thank you for the cpu info...I was also wondering if memory and motherboard chipset type could make a difference in the results....thanx frew

P.S. Thank you Noko for the tip!!!

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
I thought so....changing these settings does change performance...with the drivers at default setting my score is 8814. Would a faster processor significantly increase video performance? Appreciate your input.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Also $50 for a 75gb 7200rpm hdd, not bad.

I guess it's a crappy IBM Deskstar 75GXP, so it's not a good deal. If it dies, it will take all data with it.

Let us know <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=25703#25703" target="_new"> What File compression format you use? </A>