Dell 8300 Dual Channel Memory Setup

I have a Dell 8300 with 256megs of memory on 2 sticks. One stick was in
slot 1 the other in slot 3. I added a 1gig stick in slot 2. At boot the
system said the memory was not configured optimally. I then took out the 2
128meg sticks and put the single 1gig stick in slot 1. That works fine, but
I was told I could get dual channel memory usage(?) if I filled the all
slots. Is this true, and since there are 4 slots would a dummy stick be
needed? I couldn't afford a second gig stick. Dual channel is enabled in
the memory setup.

Thank,
4 answers Last reply
More about dell 8300 dual channel memory setup

    "rolaid" <rolaid@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Dell 8300 with 256megs of memory on 2 sticks. One stick was in
    > slot 1 the other in slot 3. I added a 1gig stick in slot 2. At boot the
    > system said the memory was not configured optimally. I then took out the 2
    > 128meg sticks and put the single 1gig stick in slot 1. That works fine,
    > but
    > I was told I could get dual channel memory usage(?) if I filled the all
    > slots. Is this true, and since there are 4 slots would a dummy stick be
    > needed? I couldn't afford a second gig stick. Dual channel is enabled in
    > the memory setup.
    >
    > Thank,

    As you've already determined, the machine will run with only (1) DIMM
    inserted, but it will automatically detect this and revert to "single
    channel mode" from the "optimal" "dual channel mode".

    To keep this short and to make the machine utilize "dual channel mode",
    you're going to have to add another matching 1gb stick/DIMM like so.

    ::::::::::::::CPU::::::::::::::::::

    ::::::::::::1gb DIMM:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: socket 1 /
    Channel 1

    ::::::::::::128mb DIMM:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: socket 2 / Channel
    2

    :::::::::::1gb DIMM::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: socket 3 /
    Channel 1

    ::::::::::::128mb DIMM::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: socket 4 / Channel 2

    Your original configuration had a 128mb DIMM in sockets 1 and 3, channel 1.
    If you add *any single* stick to a channel 2 socket, then the machine is
    going to revert back to "single channel" mode.

    Sockets 1 and 3 need to be matched, and/or sockets 2 and 4.

    In a perfect world, you could've just added (2 x 512mb) DIMMs to sockets 2
    and 4 and you'd be good to go, and in 'dual channel' mode.

    While all the sockets do not have to be filled, they have to be added in
    matched pairs to retain 'dual channel' function.

    Clear as mud. Thereyago.

    Stew

    (Has an 8300 with 4 x 256 DIMMs, fwiw.............)

    No such thing as a "dummy" stick of memory that I know of. In order to
    achieve dual channel performance it is preferable to have slots 1&3 occupied
    with the same speed and brand of memory. To max out your motherboard memory
    capacity, slots 2&4 must also be filled with the same speed and brand of
    memory. However, the brand of memory in slots 3&4 need not be the same
    "brand" as in slots 1&3, they just have to be the same "speed" as in slots
    1&3.

    You will get dual channel performance as long as slots 1&3 are occupied,
    (slots 2&4 added later if you desire), and it's configured in the BIOS. As
    this is not the case now with a 1gig stick in slot 1, you can disable dual
    channel in the BIOS memory configuration because that 1gig stick in running
    in single channel mode.

    HTH,

    Curt.

    "rolaid" <rolaid@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Dell 8300 with 256megs of memory on 2 sticks. One stick was in
    > slot 1 the other in slot 3. I added a 1gig stick in slot 2. At boot the
    > system said the memory was not configured optimally. I then took out the 2
    > 128meg sticks and put the single 1gig stick in slot 1. That works fine,
    > but
    > I was told I could get dual channel memory usage(?) if I filled the all
    > slots. Is this true, and since there are 4 slots would a dummy stick be
    > needed? I couldn't afford a second gig stick. Dual channel is enabled in
    > the memory setup.
    >
    > Thank,

    "Curt" <no-no@notime.com> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > You will get dual channel performance as long as slots 1&3 are occupied,

    Only if they're a matched pair within themselves.

    > (slots 2&4 added later if you desire), and it's configured in the BIOS. As
    > this is not the case now with a 1gig stick in slot 1, you can disable dual
    > channel in the BIOS memory configuration because that 1gig stick in
    > running in single channel mode.

    This is not necessary because the machine will automatically revert to
    single channel mode if not configured properly.

    Stew

    rolaid wrote:
    > I have a Dell 8300 with 256megs of memory on 2 sticks. One stick was in
    > slot 1 the other in slot 3. I added a 1gig stick in slot 2. At boot the
    > system said the memory was not configured optimally. I then took out the 2
    > 128meg sticks and put the single 1gig stick in slot 1. That works fine, but
    > I was told I could get dual channel memory usage(?) if I filled the all
    > slots. Is this true, and since there are 4 slots would a dummy stick be
    > needed? I couldn't afford a second gig stick. Dual channel is enabled in
    > the memory setup.

    Maybe you could return or sell the 1Gb stick and get two 512Mb sticks
    instead, then you could retain the dual channel mode.

Dell Dual Channel Memory Computers