Levelling a Strafer, the early levels

Hi,

I plan to build a strafer. But as far as I remember from playing on
battlenet you need to be in the late 20's to use a good bow.

Does anybody have any good tips how to survive until then?

I play exclusive single-player now, so I can't rely on help from other
people anymore

--
Now Playing:
Rod Modell - Forester Park

I'd mix & match these items:
Khalim's Will (not Flail), level 1.

Hsarus set, level 3.

Death set, level 6. You'll want to insert a -15% req jewel into the
sword. Lose the Hsarus belt at this point.

Arctic set, level 2, but has very high dexterity requirement. You
probably won't be able to equip them until level 8 or so. I prefer the
Death's set, but this is an option.

Sigon set, level 6, but you probably won't be able to equip them until
level 9 or so. I only like the shield (-15% req jewel) plus 1 more
item for the leech.

Angelic amulet, 2 rings, and optional armor, level 12. We won't use
the sabre for obvious reason.

Iratha set, level 15. Very big resistances at very early level, but
you'll lose the AR from Angelic. Your choice here.

There are also very good unique items to consider, such as Biggin's,
Hotspur, Bloodfist, Pelta, and more.

If you don't like to melee with your Death's set, then look for
socketed bows with gems and/or runes for elemental damage.

IMO, Strafers are not strong enough until mid 30's. Expect normal
Diablo to be a very tough battle; quite possibly the toughest battle of
all bosses in all difficulty settings.

"Thomas Jespersen" <jespersen.thomas@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I plan to build a strafer. But as far as I remember from playing on
> battlenet you need to be in the late 20's to use a good bow.
>
> Does anybody have any good tips how to survive until then?
>
> I play exclusive single-player now, so I can't rely on help from other
> people anymore

Three-socket bow from Gheed with three emeralds in it makes the first few
acts pass by fairly easily. A 3-socket flail with topazes goes even faster
if you don't mind getting your hands dirty, and three skulls in a large
shield keeps the little stuff away. (The first 20 levels can be done with
junk you pick up along the way. At /players 8, that's only halfway into Act
2.)
--
Zamboni

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

Thomas Jespersen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I plan to build a strafer. But as far as I remember from playing on
> battlenet you need to be in the late 20's to use a good bow.
>
> Does anybody have any good tips how to survive until then?

Surviving isn't really that hard; leveling quickly and advancing is :)

I painfully got through normal Diablo using whatever I could find along
the way. One build guide for strafers I read suggested putting 1 pt into
Jab, despite being a strafer, in order to ease the pain - read about it
here:

http://www.d2sector.net/content.php?page=amazonplayguide

I quote the part about the Jab skill:

"Always worth having at least one point in (6 points negates the damage
penalty entirely), this skill allows you to hit not once, but three
times in the space of one Fast attack with any Spear-class weapon - even
Pikes and Lances (if you’re lucky enough to get hold of one). Very
useful against bosses, especially ones with Teleportation, as well as in
PvP engagements against Bowazons."

It is true that I found a few nice spears/javelins/etc. along the way
that I had ignored. Would have been nice to have that on weapon switch.