XP SP2 with MSN Messenger 6/Windows Messenger 4.7

September 17, 2004 10:35:15 PM

I'm having a problem with MSN Messenger 6.2 and Windows Messenger 4.7 after
installing XP SP2. I have installed SP2 from WU and have done a slipstream
install.

The problem is when I'm connected to messenger and trying to voice chat,
downloads and browsing is horribly slow and the voice is really choppy. If I
stop downloading or browsing then the voice picks up to normal or if I stop
doing voice then the downloads and browsing picks up to normal. I never had
this issue with SP1a. This is driving me nuts.

Any hints, tips or ideas as to why this is?
Anonymous
September 18, 2004 12:21:21 AM

Greetings Chuck,

You and your contact might try turning off the QoS Packet Scheduler. To do so, click Start,
then All Programs, then Accessories, then Communications, and then Network Connections. Right
click your network/internet connection, then click Properties. Uncheck the QoS Packet
Scheduler, and try again. If the QoS option is grayed out, simply click on it and choose the
Uninstall button instead.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Chuck" <januarygod@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm having a problem with MSN Messenger 6.2 and Windows Messenger 4.7 after installing XP
> SP2. I have installed SP2 from WU and have done a slipstream install.
>
> The problem is when I'm connected to messenger and trying to voice chat, downloads and
> browsing is horribly slow and the voice is really choppy. If I stop downloading or browsing
> then the voice picks up to normal or if I stop doing voice then the downloads and browsing
> picks up to normal. I never had this issue with SP1a. This is driving me nuts.
>
> Any hints, tips or ideas as to why this is?

September 19, 2004 12:46:39 AM

news:elSpyVRnEHA.3392@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...> Greetings Chuck,

> You and your contact might try turning off the QoS Packet Scheduler. To
do so, click Start,
> then All Programs, then Accessories, then Communications, and then Network
Connections. Right
> click your network/internet connection, then click Properties. Uncheck
the QoS Packet
> Scheduler, and try again. If the QoS option is grayed out, simply click
on it and choose the
> Uninstall button instead.

QoS has been removed from all netword adapters. I even disabled the service.
I still have the same issue. I even went as far as reinstalling the system
and installing drivers and programs in different orders.

Thanks for your reply.
!