Civ 3 Conquests Patches

Last response: in Video Games
Share
April 11, 2004 10:37:06 PM

Hi Guys,

I was just hoping you could help me in regards to the latest patches.

I've been to www.civ3.com, which I assume is the official site, and there
are a number of patches available for Conquests. However, I'm from the UK,
and it says that the patches are for the US version only. I've no idea if
this is a language thing, or if they genuinely won't work. There does seem
to be an international patch lower down, but that seems to be for Play the
World, and doesn't make much sense anyway when I clicked on it.

So I was just wondering if I could download these patches for my UK version,
or if not, does anyone know if the patches are available for the UK, and if
so, how can I get them?

Also, there seems to be some controversy about the patches....are some of
them not worth downloading anyway? Obviously I want to enjoy the game, so
would prefer to stay away from any dodgy patches or ones that make the game
less enjoyable.

Thanks for your help!

Contro.

More about : civ conquests patches

Anonymous
April 11, 2004 10:37:07 PM

Contro wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I was just hoping you could help me in regards to the latest patches.
>
> I've been to www.civ3.com, which I assume is the official site, and there
> are a number of patches available for Conquests. However, I'm from the UK,
> and it says that the patches are for the US version only. I've no idea if
> this is a language thing, or if they genuinely won't work. There does seem
> to be an international patch lower down, but that seems to be for Play the
> World, and doesn't make much sense anyway when I clicked on it.
>
> So I was just wondering if I could download these patches for my UK version,
> or if not, does anyone know if the patches are available for the UK, and if
> so, how can I get them?
>
> Also, there seems to be some controversy about the patches....are some of
> them not worth downloading anyway? Obviously I want to enjoy the game, so
> would prefer to stay away from any dodgy patches or ones that make the game
> less enjoyable.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Contro.

http://www.firaxis.com/downloads_detail.cfm?file_id=74

Patch v1.22f all in one patch for all languages, and it comes in at a
hefty 24.3MB in size. Whether you want it or not is your call. I am
perfectly happy with it, but others have stated they have no intention
of loading it. That page lists all of the changes it made, so you can
make an informed decision whether you want it or not.

--
Brandon Supernaw - <brandon.public@earthlink.net>
"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general

the difference between US and UK patches used to be a right problem, why?
well the copyright protection scemes on the CD are different in the US
compaired to UK, so if you installed the US patch, your UK CD would be
"invalid"!

Conquests 1.22 is all included one package though...

--
______
From Adam Webb,

"Brandon Supernaw" <brandon.public@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Contro wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > I was just hoping you could help me in regards to the latest patches.
> >
> > I've been to www.civ3.com, which I assume is the official site, and
there
> > are a number of patches available for Conquests. However, I'm from the
UK,
> > and it says that the patches are for the US version only. I've no idea
if
> > this is a language thing, or if they genuinely won't work. There does
seem
> > to be an international patch lower down, but that seems to be for Play
the
> > World, and doesn't make much sense anyway when I clicked on it.
> >
> > So I was just wondering if I could download these patches for my UK
version,
> > or if not, does anyone know if the patches are available for the UK, and
if
> > so, how can I get them?
> >
> > Also, there seems to be some controversy about the patches....are some
of
> > them not worth downloading anyway? Obviously I want to enjoy the game,
so
> > would prefer to stay away from any dodgy patches or ones that make the
game
> > less enjoyable.
> >
> > Thanks for your help!
> >
> > Contro.
> >

> http://www.firaxis.com/downloads_detail.cfm?file_id=74
>
> Patch v1.22f all in one patch for all languages, and it comes in at a
> hefty 24.3MB in size. Whether you want it or not is your call. I am
> perfectly happy with it, but others have stated they have no intention
> of loading it. That page lists all of the changes it made, so you can
> make an informed decision whether you want it or not.
>
> --
> Brandon Supernaw - <brandon.public@earthlink.net>
> "Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general
> welfare but only those specifically enumerated."
> -Thomas Jefferson
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 12, 2004 4:27:15 PM

"Brandon Supernaw" <brandon.public@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Contro wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > I was just hoping you could help me in regards to the latest patches.
> >
> > I've been to www.civ3.com, which I assume is the official site, and
there
> > are a number of patches available for Conquests. However, I'm from the
UK,
> > and it says that the patches are for the US version only. I've no idea
if
> > this is a language thing, or if they genuinely won't work. There does
seem
> > to be an international patch lower down, but that seems to be for Play
the
> > World, and doesn't make much sense anyway when I clicked on it.
> >
> > So I was just wondering if I could download these patches for my UK
version,
> > or if not, does anyone know if the patches are available for the UK, and
if
> > so, how can I get them?
> >
> > Also, there seems to be some controversy about the patches....are some
of
> > them not worth downloading anyway? Obviously I want to enjoy the game,
so
> > would prefer to stay away from any dodgy patches or ones that make the
game
> > less enjoyable.
> >
> > Thanks for your help!
> >
> > Contro.
> >

> http://www.firaxis.com/downloads_detail.cfm?file_id=74
>
> Patch v1.22f all in one patch for all languages, and it comes in at a
> hefty 24.3MB in size. Whether you want it or not is your call. I am
> perfectly happy with it, but others have stated they have no intention
> of loading it. That page lists all of the changes it made, so you can
> make an informed decision whether you want it or not.

Thanks very much for that! I've downloaded it, but not yet installed it. I
see that it has taken away the radio option. To be honest though, I'm a
novice at Civ, so I don't really know for sure if it's a good or a bad
thing. It seems that the Radio advance allows you to place Radio towers,
but I am still at the stage where I just automate my workers, and allow them
to do what they want, which means I never really have any colonies or what
not.

Can I ask you a quick question regarding Civ though...it's regarding the
victory conditions. You have the cultural victory condition, but how does
this work exactly? I'm assuming your culture is not based on the territory
you own, as that would make it similar to the domination winning condition
(or whatever it's called), but then, when you increase in culture, your
territory usually increases too, so I'm a little confused by this.

Also, the diplomatic victory...is it worth having this enabled? I can see
it being very annoying if you are doing really well, only to lose due to
this. And is it fairly done too, or do the computer peoples never vote for
you, no matter how nice and diplomatic you have been?

Thanks again for your help!

Contro.
April 12, 2004 4:29:43 PM

"Adam Webb" <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
> the difference between US and UK patches used to be a right problem, why?
> well the copyright protection scemes on the CD are different in the US
> compaired to UK, so if you installed the US patch, your UK CD would be
> "invalid"!
>
> Conquests 1.22 is all included one package though...

Yes, I can see copywrite being very annoying when you release something to
sell internationally. It's a bit annoying how the official civ3 site
doesn't cater for any other country apart from the US though to be honest,
regardless of any excuse, as the url for that site is given on the box for
the copy I bought in the UK, yet I can't download any patches from there,
despite the fact that I can from elsewhere.

> "Brandon Supernaw" <brandon.public@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Contro wrote:
> > > Hi Guys,
> > >
> > > I was just hoping you could help me in regards to the latest patches.
> > >
> > > I've been to www.civ3.com, which I assume is the official site, and
> there
> > > are a number of patches available for Conquests. However, I'm from
the
> UK,
> > > and it says that the patches are for the US version only. I've no
idea
> if
> > > this is a language thing, or if they genuinely won't work. There does
> seem
> > > to be an international patch lower down, but that seems to be for Play
> the
> > > World, and doesn't make much sense anyway when I clicked on it.
> > >
> > > So I was just wondering if I could download these patches for my UK
> version,
> > > or if not, does anyone know if the patches are available for the UK,
and
> if
> > > so, how can I get them?
> > >
> > > Also, there seems to be some controversy about the patches....are some
> of
> > > them not worth downloading anyway? Obviously I want to enjoy the
game,
> so
> > > would prefer to stay away from any dodgy patches or ones that make the
> game
> > > less enjoyable.
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help!
> > >
> > > Contro.
> > >

> > http://www.firaxis.com/downloads_detail.cfm?file_id=74
> >
> > Patch v1.22f all in one patch for all languages, and it comes in at a
> > hefty 24.3MB in size. Whether you want it or not is your call. I am
> > perfectly happy with it, but others have stated they have no intention
> > of loading it. That page lists all of the changes it made, so you can
> > make an informed decision whether you want it or not.
> >
> > --
> > Brandon Supernaw - <brandon.public@earthlink.net>
> > "Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general
> > welfare but only those specifically enumerated."
> > -Thomas Jefferson

Anonymous
April 12, 2004 4:41:45 PM

"Contro"
<moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
wrote in message news:c5dudq$g3f$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Thanks very much for that! I've downloaded it, but not yet installed it.
> see that it has taken away the radio option. To be honest though, I'm a
> novice at Civ, so I don't really know for sure if it's a good or a bad
> thing. It seems that the Radio advance allows you to place Radio towers,
> but I am still at the stage where I just automate my workers, and allow
them
> to do what they want, which means I never really have any colonies or what
> not.

Radar towers were moved to electronics and civil defense to advanced
flight... i think.
If you are new to civ, you won't know anything has changed. Don't forget to
start a new game after installing the patch.

> Can I ask you a quick question regarding Civ though...it's regarding the
> victory conditions. You have the cultural victory condition, but how does
> this work exactly? I'm assuming your culture is not based on the
territory
> you own, as that would make it similar to the domination winning condition
> (or whatever it's called), but then, when you increase in culture, your
> territory usually increases too, so I'm a little confused by this.

There are 2 ways to achieve a cultural victory. The first is to have any one
city accumulate 20,000 culture points.
The second is to acummulate the total required culture points for the map
size you are playing AND have twice the culture of your nearest cultural
rival.

Culture is used to expand your territory, but it is a separate item. Spend
some time on F8 :)

> Also, the diplomatic victory...is it worth having this enabled? I can see
> it being very annoying if you are doing really well, only to lose due to
> this. And is it fairly done too, or do the computer peoples never vote
for
> you, no matter how nice and diplomatic you have been?

It is enabled in the default rules for the epic game. The UN is the only
game breaking wonder and you must plan ahead to make sure you own it and not
the AI. Once you own it, you can choose to not hold a vote and continue the
game. The votes are not rigged against the human, it depends on how well you
are liked by the other civs compared to the other guy in the vote. If an AI
civ builds the UN, they will not hold a vote unless they know they will win
it ;)
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 4:41:46 PM

The Stare wrote:

[snip]

> Radar towers were moved to electronics and civil defense to advanced
> flight... i think.
> If you are new to civ, you won't know anything has changed. Don't forget to
> start a new game after installing the patch.

Flip those and you're right on target :) . Civil Defense in Electronics
and Radar towers in Advanced Flight.

[snip]

> There are 2 ways to achieve a cultural victory. The first is to have any one
> city accumulate 20,000 culture points.
> The second is to acummulate the total required culture points for the map
> size you are playing AND have twice the culture of your nearest cultural
> rival.
>
> Culture is used to expand your territory, but it is a separate item. Spend
> some time on F8 :)

Just want to also say look at F5 as well if you're aiming for a cultural
victory. It'll help you see if any particular city is creeping up on
the 20K mark solo. Also, not sure if map size has any bearing on
culture needed for a victory (not based on one city). I thought it was
100,000 points and twice that your nearest rival regardless of map (80K
if you happen to be playing unpatched vanilla Civ III.

[snip]

--
Brandon Supernaw - <brandon.public@earthlink.net>
"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general
welfare but only those specifically enumerated."
-Thomas Jefferson
April 12, 2004 8:32:03 PM

"The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
news:D 8wec.1425$z26.480@news01.roc.ny...

> "Contro"
> <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
> wrote in message news:c5dudq$g3f$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
> > Thanks very much for that! I've downloaded it, but not yet installed
it.
> > see that it has taken away the radio option. To be honest though, I'm a
> > novice at Civ, so I don't really know for sure if it's a good or a bad
> > thing. It seems that the Radio advance allows you to place Radio
towers,
> > but I am still at the stage where I just automate my workers, and allow
> them
> > to do what they want, which means I never really have any colonies or
what
> > not.
>
> Radar towers were moved to electronics and civil defense to advanced
> flight... i think.

phew! at least they have not got rid of anything then.

I take it they got rid of radio as it took too long to research then, in
relation to the game finishing in 2050?

> If you are new to civ, you won't know anything has changed. Don't forget
> start a new game after installing the patch.

Yes, I think I'll wait until I've finsihed my current game first!

> > Can I ask you a quick question regarding Civ though...it's regarding the
> > victory conditions. You have the cultural victory condition, but how
does
> > this work exactly? I'm assuming your culture is not based on the
> territory
> > you own, as that would make it similar to the domination winning
condition
> > (or whatever it's called), but then, when you increase in culture, your
> > territory usually increases too, so I'm a little confused by this.
>
> There are 2 ways to achieve a cultural victory. The first is to have any
one
> city accumulate 20,000 culture points.
> The second is to acummulate the total required culture points for the map
> size you are playing AND have twice the culture of your nearest cultural
> rival.

ahhh, I see! thank you, I didn't really know how it worked or how it was
determined.

> Culture is used to expand your territory, but it is a separate item. Spend
> some time on F8 :)

Thanks! I'll do that!

> > Also, the diplomatic victory...is it worth having this enabled? I can
see
> > it being very annoying if you are doing really well, only to lose due to
> > this. And is it fairly done too, or do the computer peoples never vote
> for
> > you, no matter how nice and diplomatic you have been?
>
> It is enabled in the default rules for the epic game. The UN is the only
> game breaking wonder and you must plan ahead to make sure you own it and
not
> the AI. Once you own it, you can choose to not hold a vote and continue
the
> game. The votes are not rigged against the human, it depends on how well
you
> are liked by the other civs compared to the other guy in the vote. If an
AI
> civ builds the UN, they will not hold a vote unless they know they will
win
> it ;)

ahh, that is great! I was worried that a vote was automatically done. I'm
glad you dont' have to do it, and that it is pretty fair. I'm a bit annoyed
at the moment though, as in my current game, I'm really liked by everyone,
but I've disabled the diplomatic vicory! D'oh! So I'm going for the
cultural instead. I'm the head country in regards to advancement, or was in
the industrial advance section (the one before modern times).

I love Civ. Such a great game.
April 12, 2004 8:34:33 PM

> The Stare wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Radar towers were moved to electronics and civil defense to advanced
> > flight... i think.
> > If you are new to civ, you won't know anything has changed. Don't forget
> > start a new game after installing the patch.
>
> Flip those and you're right on target :) . Civil Defense in Electronics
> and Radar towers in Advanced Flight.

LOL Thanks!

> [snip]
>
> > There are 2 ways to achieve a cultural victory. The first is to have any
one
> > city accumulate 20,000 culture points.
> > The second is to acummulate the total required culture points for the
map
> > size you are playing AND have twice the culture of your nearest cultural
> > rival.
> >
> > Culture is used to expand your territory, but it is a separate item.
Spend
> > some time on F8 :)
>
> Just want to also say look at F5 as well if you're aiming for a cultural
> victory. It'll help you see if any particular city is creeping up on
> the 20K mark solo. Also, not sure if map size has any bearing on
> culture needed for a victory (not based on one city). I thought it was
> 100,000 points and twice that your nearest rival regardless of map (80K
> if you happen to be playing unpatched vanilla Civ III.

hmm, I'll look into it. I always seem to play a game with 8 other civs (I
think it's 8). 8 in total sorry. How is it you get to have the bigger
games with 16 civs? I'm can't see anything obvious. I've not tinkered
around to see though, so please don't shout if it's anything obvious!

But thanks for the F5 and F8 advice. I didn't know about them, so will have
a look when I next play!
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 9:52:42 PM

"Brandon Supernaw" <brandon.public@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> The Stare wrote:
>
> [snip]

> Flip those and you're right on target :) . Civil Defense in Electronics
> and Radar towers in Advanced Flight.

Thanks :)

> > There are 2 ways to achieve a cultural victory. The first is to have any
one
> > city accumulate 20,000 culture points.
> > The second is to acummulate the total required culture points for the
map
> > size you are playing AND have twice the culture of your nearest cultural
> > rival.
> >
> > Culture is used to expand your territory, but it is a separate item.
Spend
> > some time on F8 :)
>
> Just want to also say look at F5 as well if you're aiming for a cultural
> victory. It'll help you see if any particular city is creeping up on
> the 20K mark solo. Also, not sure if map size has any bearing on
> culture needed for a victory (not based on one city). I thought it was
> 100,000 points and twice that your nearest rival regardless of map (80K
> if you happen to be playing unpatched vanilla Civ III.

In conquests, map size determines the culture limit. Huge is 160K.

There is more info available via F8 than previous as well. It will tell you
which city has the most culture and the next highest rival city. I find the
cultural advisor is only useful in certain situations.
Anonymous
April 12, 2004 9:55:39 PM

wrote in message news:c5ecor$fc2$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...

> I take it they got rid of radio as it took too long to research then, in
> relation to the game finishing in 2050?

Nobody is really sure why they got rid of radio. One thought is they wanted
to shorten the industrial age because they added 2 optional techs to it.
Anonymous
April 14, 2004 11:03:15 PM

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 12:27:15 +0100, "Contro"
wrote:

>"Brandon Supernaw" <brandon.public@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Contro wrote:
>> > Hi Guys,
>> >
>> > I was just hoping you could help me in regards to the latest patches.
>> >
>> > I've been to www.civ3.com, which I assume is the official site, and
>there
>> > are a number of patches available for Conquests. However, I'm from the
>UK,
>> > and it says that the patches are for the US version only. I've no idea
>if
>> > this is a language thing, or if they genuinely won't work. There does
>seem
>> > to be an international patch lower down, but that seems to be for Play
>the
>> > World, and doesn't make much sense anyway when I clicked on it.
>> >
>> > So I was just wondering if I could download these patches for my UK
>version,
>> > or if not, does anyone know if the patches are available for the UK, and
>if
>> > so, how can I get them?
>> >
>> > Also, there seems to be some controversy about the patches....are some
>of
>> > them not worth downloading anyway? Obviously I want to enjoy the game,
>so
>> > would prefer to stay away from any dodgy patches or ones that make the
>game
>> > less enjoyable.
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help!
>> >
>> > Contro.
>> >

>> http://www.firaxis.com/downloads_detail.cfm?file_id=74
>>
>> Patch v1.22f all in one patch for all languages, and it comes in at a
>> hefty 24.3MB in size. Whether you want it or not is your call. I am
>> perfectly happy with it, but others have stated they have no intention
>> of loading it. That page lists all of the changes it made, so you can
>> make an informed decision whether you want it or not.
>
>Thanks very much for that! I've downloaded it, but not yet installed it. I
>see that it has taken away the radio option. To be honest though, I'm a
>novice at Civ, so I don't really know for sure if it's a good or a bad
>thing. It seems that the Radio advance allows you to place Radio towers,
>but I am still at the stage where I just automate my workers, and allow them
>to do what they want, which means I never really have any colonies or what
>not.

All that Radio did was give you a couple of techs, and those were
moved to other ones. I don't think that it affects the overall
gameplay much, other than to remove one tech which was a "roadblock"
on the path to the modern era.

>Can I ask you a quick question regarding Civ though...it's regarding the
>victory conditions. You have the cultural victory condition, but how does
>this work exactly? I'm assuming your culture is not based on the territory
>you own, as that would make it similar to the domination winning condition
>(or whatever it's called), but then, when you increase in culture, your
>territory usually increases too, so I'm a little confused by this.

Cultural victory uses the total culture of all cities -- you can
check this with the cultural advisor, and also on the scoring graph.
You can win either by having one single city hit 20000 culture, or by
having your total culture hit the score needed to win on the map (in
Civ3/PTW, this is 100000), but you also must have more than twice that
of your next nearest rival.

The easiest way to make lots of culture is to have lots of cities
with culture buildings. Many buildings generate bonus culture if
they've existed long enough, so early cities pay off better than new
ones.

>Also, the diplomatic victory...is it worth having this enabled? I can see
>it being very annoying if you are doing really well, only to lose due to
>this. And is it fairly done too, or do the computer peoples never vote for
>you, no matter how nice and diplomatic you have been?

The UN vote is fairly done, but it is hard to know if the AI will
vote for you. Check diplomatically, see if they all are gracious with
you. If not, try to make them so.

One way to get votes on your side is to get involved in a war. You
allies will never vote for your mutual enemies, so if you are one of
the candidates you can ensure getting some votes.

The AI may also abstain, and it is fairly easy for a close game to
yield a tie.

The vote is annoying because it isn't possible to predict if you
will win before you call for it. The AI will never call for the vote
unless they can win. OTOH, as a human you can just reload the game if
you lose the vote, then refuse to call it.

It does offer one more victory option, but I think it is more likely
to be used as a push to get the UN to deny the vote for everyone.

** Muskego WI Access Channel 14/25 <http://www.execpc.com/~jeffsj/mach7/&gt;
*Starfire Design Studio* <http://www.starfiredesign.com/&gt;
April 17, 2004 4:35:56 AM

"Jeffery S. Jones" <jeffsj@execpc.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 12:27:15 +0100, "Contro"
> <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
> wrote:
>

> >"Brandon Supernaw" <brandon.public@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> >there
> >UK,
> >if
> >seem
Play
> >the

> >version,
> >if

> >of
> >so
> >game

> >> http://www.firaxis.com/downloads_detail.cfm?file_id=74
> >>
> >> Patch v1.22f all in one patch for all languages, and it comes in at a
> >> hefty 24.3MB in size. Whether you want it or not is your call. I am
> >> perfectly happy with it, but others have stated they have no intention
> >> of loading it. That page lists all of the changes it made, so you can
> >> make an informed decision whether you want it or not.
> >
> >Thanks very much for that! I've downloaded it, but not yet installed it.
> >see that it has taken away the radio option. To be honest though, I'm a
> >novice at Civ, so I don't really know for sure if it's a good or a bad
> >thing. It seems that the Radio advance allows you to place Radio towers,
> >but I am still at the stage where I just automate my workers, and allow
them
> >to do what they want, which means I never really have any colonies or
what
> >not.
>
> All that Radio did was give you a couple of techs, and those were
> moved to other ones. I don't think that it affects the overall
> gameplay much, other than to remove one tech which was a "roadblock"
> on the path to the modern era.

yes, I know what you mean. I was just worried that something had been taken
out, but nothing has really.

> >Can I ask you a quick question regarding Civ though...it's regarding the
> >victory conditions. You have the cultural victory condition, but how
does
> >this work exactly? I'm assuming your culture is not based on the
territory
> >you own, as that would make it similar to the domination winning
condition
> >(or whatever it's called), but then, when you increase in culture, your
> >territory usually increases too, so I'm a little confused by this.
>
> Cultural victory uses the total culture of all cities -- you can
> check this with the cultural advisor, and also on the scoring graph.
> You can win either by having one single city hit 20000 culture, or by
> having your total culture hit the score needed to win on the map (in
> Civ3/PTW, this is 100000), but you also must have more than twice that
> of your next nearest rival.
>
> The easiest way to make lots of culture is to have lots of cities
> with culture buildings. Many buildings generate bonus culture if
> they've existed long enough, so early cities pay off better than new
> ones.

Thanks! Not an easy victory condition really! Does this mean that a
culture victory is very closely related to a domination victory, as surely
for a good culture rating, without going for the single city win, you need a
lot of cities, which can only really be got by taking over lots of others?

> >Also, the diplomatic victory...is it worth having this enabled? I can
see
> >it being very annoying if you are doing really well, only to lose due to
> >this. And is it fairly done too, or do the computer peoples never vote
for
> >you, no matter how nice and diplomatic you have been?
> >

> The UN vote is fairly done, but it is hard to know if the AI will
> vote for you. Check diplomatically, see if they all are gracious with
> you. If not, try to make them so.
>
> One way to get votes on your side is to get involved in a war. You
> allies will never vote for your mutual enemies, so if you are one of
> the candidates you can ensure getting some votes.
>
> The AI may also abstain, and it is fairly easy for a close game to
> yield a tie.
>
> The vote is annoying because it isn't possible to predict if you
> will win before you call for it. The AI will never call for the vote
> unless they can win. OTOH, as a human you can just reload the game if
> you lose the vote, then refuse to call it.
>
> It does offer one more victory option, but I think it is more likely
> to be used as a push to get the UN to deny the vote for everyone.

Sounds like it's done well! I might as well add it in future then, as it
all adds to the fun. I'm not sure a computer player is ever liked enought to
win very often. Only problem with it is that if you have all these
wonderful plans, and then some civ wins the UN vote, it could be quite
annoying! I guess it's a way to enable the small civs to win. Although
having said that, it's unlikely they'd be able to make any other civ feel
"gracious" towards them if they have nothing to offer.
Anonymous
April 19, 2004 12:26:53 AM

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 00:35:56 +0100, "Contro"
wrote:

>Thanks! Not an easy victory condition really! Does this mean that a
>culture victory is very closely related to a domination victory, as surely
>for a good culture rating, without going for the single city win, you need a
>lot of cities, which can only really be got by taking over lots of others?

Culture victory is similar to domination but you don't need huge
amounts of cities to win. Culture builds over time and they are
weighted. So for instance an early GW will build lots of culture
over the years. If you focus your attention on building culture early
it will show later on. The hard part is making sure you are double
the next opponent. Often times that means attacking the strongest
competitor.
April 19, 2004 4:14:30 PM

P12 wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 00:35:56 +0100, "Contro"
> <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks! Not an easy victory condition really! Does this mean that a
>> culture victory is very closely related to a domination victory, as
>> surely for a good culture rating, without going for the single city
>> win, you need a lot of cities, which can only really be got by
>> taking over lots of others?
>
> Culture victory is similar to domination but you don't need huge
> amounts of cities to win. Culture builds over time and they are
> weighted. So for instance an early GW will build lots of culture
> over the years. If you focus your attention on building culture early
> it will show later on. The hard part is making sure you are double
> the next opponent. Often times that means attacking the strongest
> competitor.

Which again means taking more cities! LOL But yes, I know what you mean.
The only time I had a culture victory was when I pretty much owned 2 thirds
of the landmass to the extent that I thought I had won a domination victory
at first, until I remembered what a culture one actually meant!

I think it would be very difficult to have a culture victory without owning
at least half the land in the game, as like you say, there is also the
problem of being twice your rivals culture, and it would be hard to do that
without a lot of cities and without battering your rival a bit.
!