Civ 3 Conquests Patches

Hi Guys,

I was just hoping you could help me in regards to the latest patches.

I've been to www.civ3.com, which I assume is the official site, and there
are a number of patches available for Conquests. However, I'm from the UK,
and it says that the patches are for the US version only. I've no idea if
this is a language thing, or if they genuinely won't work. There does seem
to be an international patch lower down, but that seems to be for Play the
World, and doesn't make much sense anyway when I clicked on it.

So I was just wondering if I could download these patches for my UK version,
or if not, does anyone know if the patches are available for the UK, and if
so, how can I get them?

Also, there seems to be some controversy about the patches....are some of
them not worth downloading anyway? Obviously I want to enjoy the game, so
would prefer to stay away from any dodgy patches or ones that make the game
less enjoyable.

Thanks for your help!

Contro.
14 answers Last reply
More about conquests patches
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    Contro wrote:
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I was just hoping you could help me in regards to the latest patches.
    >
    > I've been to www.civ3.com, which I assume is the official site, and there
    > are a number of patches available for Conquests. However, I'm from the UK,
    > and it says that the patches are for the US version only. I've no idea if
    > this is a language thing, or if they genuinely won't work. There does seem
    > to be an international patch lower down, but that seems to be for Play the
    > World, and doesn't make much sense anyway when I clicked on it.
    >
    > So I was just wondering if I could download these patches for my UK version,
    > or if not, does anyone know if the patches are available for the UK, and if
    > so, how can I get them?
    >
    > Also, there seems to be some controversy about the patches....are some of
    > them not worth downloading anyway? Obviously I want to enjoy the game, so
    > would prefer to stay away from any dodgy patches or ones that make the game
    > less enjoyable.
    >
    > Thanks for your help!
    >
    > Contro.

    http://www.firaxis.com/downloads_detail.cfm?file_id=74

    Patch v1.22f all in one patch for all languages, and it comes in at a
    hefty 24.3MB in size. Whether you want it or not is your call. I am
    perfectly happy with it, but others have stated they have no intention
    of loading it. That page lists all of the changes it made, so you can
    make an informed decision whether you want it or not.

    --
    Brandon Supernaw - <brandon.public@earthlink.net>
    "Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general

    the difference between US and UK patches used to be a right problem, why?
    well the copyright protection scemes on the CD are different in the US
    compaired to UK, so if you installed the US patch, your UK CD would be
    "invalid"!

    Conquests 1.22 is all included one package though...

    --
    ______
    From Adam Webb,

    "Brandon Supernaw" <brandon.public@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Contro wrote:
    > > Hi Guys,
    > >
    > > I was just hoping you could help me in regards to the latest patches.
    > >
    > > I've been to www.civ3.com, which I assume is the official site, and
    there
    > > are a number of patches available for Conquests. However, I'm from the
    UK,
    > > and it says that the patches are for the US version only. I've no idea
    if
    > > this is a language thing, or if they genuinely won't work. There does
    seem
    > > to be an international patch lower down, but that seems to be for Play
    the
    > > World, and doesn't make much sense anyway when I clicked on it.
    > >
    > > So I was just wondering if I could download these patches for my UK
    version,
    > > or if not, does anyone know if the patches are available for the UK, and
    if
    > > so, how can I get them?
    > >
    > > Also, there seems to be some controversy about the patches....are some
    of
    > > them not worth downloading anyway? Obviously I want to enjoy the game,
    so
    > > would prefer to stay away from any dodgy patches or ones that make the
    game
    > > less enjoyable.
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help!
    > >
    > > Contro.
    > >

    > http://www.firaxis.com/downloads_detail.cfm?file_id=74
    >
    > Patch v1.22f all in one patch for all languages, and it comes in at a
    > hefty 24.3MB in size. Whether you want it or not is your call. I am
    > perfectly happy with it, but others have stated they have no intention
    > of loading it. That page lists all of the changes it made, so you can
    > make an informed decision whether you want it or not.
    >
    > --
    > Brandon Supernaw - <brandon.public@earthlink.net>
    > "Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general
    > welfare but only those specifically enumerated."
    > -Thomas Jefferson
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "Brandon Supernaw" <brandon.public@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Contro wrote:
    > > Hi Guys,
    > >
    > > I was just hoping you could help me in regards to the latest patches.
    > >
    > > I've been to www.civ3.com, which I assume is the official site, and
    there
    > > are a number of patches available for Conquests. However, I'm from the
    UK,
    > > and it says that the patches are for the US version only. I've no idea
    if
    > > this is a language thing, or if they genuinely won't work. There does
    seem
    > > to be an international patch lower down, but that seems to be for Play
    the
    > > World, and doesn't make much sense anyway when I clicked on it.
    > >
    > > So I was just wondering if I could download these patches for my UK
    version,
    > > or if not, does anyone know if the patches are available for the UK, and
    if
    > > so, how can I get them?
    > >
    > > Also, there seems to be some controversy about the patches....are some
    of
    > > them not worth downloading anyway? Obviously I want to enjoy the game,
    so
    > > would prefer to stay away from any dodgy patches or ones that make the
    game
    > > less enjoyable.
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help!
    > >
    > > Contro.
    > >

    > http://www.firaxis.com/downloads_detail.cfm?file_id=74
    >
    > Patch v1.22f all in one patch for all languages, and it comes in at a
    > hefty 24.3MB in size. Whether you want it or not is your call. I am
    > perfectly happy with it, but others have stated they have no intention
    > of loading it. That page lists all of the changes it made, so you can
    > make an informed decision whether you want it or not.

    Thanks very much for that! I've downloaded it, but not yet installed it. I
    see that it has taken away the radio option. To be honest though, I'm a
    novice at Civ, so I don't really know for sure if it's a good or a bad
    thing. It seems that the Radio advance allows you to place Radio towers,
    but I am still at the stage where I just automate my workers, and allow them
    to do what they want, which means I never really have any colonies or what
    not.

    Can I ask you a quick question regarding Civ though...it's regarding the
    victory conditions. You have the cultural victory condition, but how does
    this work exactly? I'm assuming your culture is not based on the territory
    you own, as that would make it similar to the domination winning condition
    (or whatever it's called), but then, when you increase in culture, your
    territory usually increases too, so I'm a little confused by this.

    Also, the diplomatic victory...is it worth having this enabled? I can see
    it being very annoying if you are doing really well, only to lose due to
    this. And is it fairly done too, or do the computer peoples never vote for
    you, no matter how nice and diplomatic you have been?

    Thanks again for your help!

    Contro.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "Adam Webb" <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
    > the difference between US and UK patches used to be a right problem, why?
    > well the copyright protection scemes on the CD are different in the US
    > compaired to UK, so if you installed the US patch, your UK CD would be
    > "invalid"!
    >
    > Conquests 1.22 is all included one package though...

    Yes, I can see copywrite being very annoying when you release something to
    sell internationally. It's a bit annoying how the official civ3 site
    doesn't cater for any other country apart from the US though to be honest,
    regardless of any excuse, as the url for that site is given on the box for
    the copy I bought in the UK, yet I can't download any patches from there,
    despite the fact that I can from elsewhere.

    > "Brandon Supernaw" <brandon.public@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > > Contro wrote:
    > > > Hi Guys,
    > > >
    > > > I was just hoping you could help me in regards to the latest patches.
    > > >
    > > > I've been to www.civ3.com, which I assume is the official site, and
    > there
    > > > are a number of patches available for Conquests. However, I'm from
    the
    > UK,
    > > > and it says that the patches are for the US version only. I've no
    idea
    > if
    > > > this is a language thing, or if they genuinely won't work. There does
    > seem
    > > > to be an international patch lower down, but that seems to be for Play
    > the
    > > > World, and doesn't make much sense anyway when I clicked on it.
    > > >
    > > > So I was just wondering if I could download these patches for my UK
    > version,
    > > > or if not, does anyone know if the patches are available for the UK,
    and
    > if
    > > > so, how can I get them?
    > > >
    > > > Also, there seems to be some controversy about the patches....are some
    > of
    > > > them not worth downloading anyway? Obviously I want to enjoy the
    game,
    > so
    > > > would prefer to stay away from any dodgy patches or ones that make the
    > game
    > > > less enjoyable.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for your help!
    > > >
    > > > Contro.
    > > >

    > > http://www.firaxis.com/downloads_detail.cfm?file_id=74
    > >
    > > Patch v1.22f all in one patch for all languages, and it comes in at a
    > > hefty 24.3MB in size. Whether you want it or not is your call. I am
    > > perfectly happy with it, but others have stated they have no intention
    > > of loading it. That page lists all of the changes it made, so you can
    > > make an informed decision whether you want it or not.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Brandon Supernaw - <brandon.public@earthlink.net>
    > > "Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general
    > > welfare but only those specifically enumerated."
    > > -Thomas Jefferson

  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "Contro"
    <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
    wrote in message news:c5dudq$g3f$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
    > Thanks very much for that! I've downloaded it, but not yet installed it.
    > see that it has taken away the radio option. To be honest though, I'm a
    > novice at Civ, so I don't really know for sure if it's a good or a bad
    > thing. It seems that the Radio advance allows you to place Radio towers,
    > but I am still at the stage where I just automate my workers, and allow
    them
    > to do what they want, which means I never really have any colonies or what
    > not.

    Radar towers were moved to electronics and civil defense to advanced
    flight... i think.
    If you are new to civ, you won't know anything has changed. Don't forget to
    start a new game after installing the patch.

    > Can I ask you a quick question regarding Civ though...it's regarding the
    > victory conditions. You have the cultural victory condition, but how does
    > this work exactly? I'm assuming your culture is not based on the
    territory
    > you own, as that would make it similar to the domination winning condition
    > (or whatever it's called), but then, when you increase in culture, your
    > territory usually increases too, so I'm a little confused by this.

    There are 2 ways to achieve a cultural victory. The first is to have any one
    city accumulate 20,000 culture points.
    The second is to acummulate the total required culture points for the map
    size you are playing AND have twice the culture of your nearest cultural
    rival.

    Culture is used to expand your territory, but it is a separate item. Spend
    some time on F8 :)

    > Also, the diplomatic victory...is it worth having this enabled? I can see
    > it being very annoying if you are doing really well, only to lose due to
    > this. And is it fairly done too, or do the computer peoples never vote
    for
    > you, no matter how nice and diplomatic you have been?

    It is enabled in the default rules for the epic game. The UN is the only
    game breaking wonder and you must plan ahead to make sure you own it and not
    the AI. Once you own it, you can choose to not hold a vote and continue the
    game. The votes are not rigged against the human, it depends on how well you
    are liked by the other civs compared to the other guy in the vote. If an AI
    civ builds the UN, they will not hold a vote unless they know they will win
    it ;)
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    The Stare wrote:

    [snip]

    > Radar towers were moved to electronics and civil defense to advanced
    > flight... i think.
    > If you are new to civ, you won't know anything has changed. Don't forget to
    > start a new game after installing the patch.

    Flip those and you're right on target :). Civil Defense in Electronics
    and Radar towers in Advanced Flight.

    [snip]

    > There are 2 ways to achieve a cultural victory. The first is to have any one
    > city accumulate 20,000 culture points.
    > The second is to acummulate the total required culture points for the map
    > size you are playing AND have twice the culture of your nearest cultural
    > rival.
    >
    > Culture is used to expand your territory, but it is a separate item. Spend
    > some time on F8 :)

    Just want to also say look at F5 as well if you're aiming for a cultural
    victory. It'll help you see if any particular city is creeping up on
    the 20K mark solo. Also, not sure if map size has any bearing on
    culture needed for a victory (not based on one city). I thought it was
    100,000 points and twice that your nearest rival regardless of map (80K
    if you happen to be playing unpatched vanilla Civ III.

    [snip]

    --
    Brandon Supernaw - <brandon.public@earthlink.net>
    "Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general
    welfare but only those specifically enumerated."
    -Thomas Jefferson
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message

    > "Contro"
    > <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
    > wrote in message news:c5dudq$g3f$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
    > > Thanks very much for that! I've downloaded it, but not yet installed
    it.
    > > see that it has taken away the radio option. To be honest though, I'm a
    > > novice at Civ, so I don't really know for sure if it's a good or a bad
    > > thing. It seems that the Radio advance allows you to place Radio
    towers,
    > > but I am still at the stage where I just automate my workers, and allow
    > them
    > > to do what they want, which means I never really have any colonies or
    what
    > > not.
    >
    > Radar towers were moved to electronics and civil defense to advanced
    > flight... i think.

    phew! at least they have not got rid of anything then.

    I take it they got rid of radio as it took too long to research then, in
    relation to the game finishing in 2050?

    > If you are new to civ, you won't know anything has changed. Don't forget
    > start a new game after installing the patch.

    Yes, I think I'll wait until I've finsihed my current game first!

    > > Can I ask you a quick question regarding Civ though...it's regarding the
    > > victory conditions. You have the cultural victory condition, but how
    does
    > > this work exactly? I'm assuming your culture is not based on the
    > territory
    > > you own, as that would make it similar to the domination winning
    condition
    > > (or whatever it's called), but then, when you increase in culture, your
    > > territory usually increases too, so I'm a little confused by this.
    >
    > There are 2 ways to achieve a cultural victory. The first is to have any
    one
    > city accumulate 20,000 culture points.
    > The second is to acummulate the total required culture points for the map
    > size you are playing AND have twice the culture of your nearest cultural
    > rival.

    ahhh, I see! thank you, I didn't really know how it worked or how it was
    determined.

    > Culture is used to expand your territory, but it is a separate item. Spend
    > some time on F8 :)

    Thanks! I'll do that!

    > > Also, the diplomatic victory...is it worth having this enabled? I can
    see
    > > it being very annoying if you are doing really well, only to lose due to
    > > this. And is it fairly done too, or do the computer peoples never vote
    > for
    > > you, no matter how nice and diplomatic you have been?
    >
    > It is enabled in the default rules for the epic game. The UN is the only
    > game breaking wonder and you must plan ahead to make sure you own it and
    not
    > the AI. Once you own it, you can choose to not hold a vote and continue
    the
    > game. The votes are not rigged against the human, it depends on how well
    you
    > are liked by the other civs compared to the other guy in the vote. If an
    AI
    > civ builds the UN, they will not hold a vote unless they know they will
    win
    > it ;)

    ahh, that is great! I was worried that a vote was automatically done. I'm
    glad you dont' have to do it, and that it is pretty fair. I'm a bit annoyed
    at the moment though, as in my current game, I'm really liked by everyone,
    but I've disabled the diplomatic vicory! D'oh! So I'm going for the
    cultural instead. I'm the head country in regards to advancement, or was in
    the industrial advance section (the one before modern times).

    I love Civ. Such a great game.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    > The Stare wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > > Radar towers were moved to electronics and civil defense to advanced
    > > flight... i think.
    > > If you are new to civ, you won't know anything has changed. Don't forget
    > > start a new game after installing the patch.
    >
    > Flip those and you're right on target :). Civil Defense in Electronics
    > and Radar towers in Advanced Flight.

    LOL Thanks!

    > [snip]
    >
    > > There are 2 ways to achieve a cultural victory. The first is to have any
    one
    > > city accumulate 20,000 culture points.
    > > The second is to acummulate the total required culture points for the
    map
    > > size you are playing AND have twice the culture of your nearest cultural
    > > rival.
    > >
    > > Culture is used to expand your territory, but it is a separate item.
    Spend
    > > some time on F8 :)
    >
    > Just want to also say look at F5 as well if you're aiming for a cultural
    > victory. It'll help you see if any particular city is creeping up on
    > the 20K mark solo. Also, not sure if map size has any bearing on
    > culture needed for a victory (not based on one city). I thought it was
    > 100,000 points and twice that your nearest rival regardless of map (80K
    > if you happen to be playing unpatched vanilla Civ III.

    hmm, I'll look into it. I always seem to play a game with 8 other civs (I
    think it's 8). 8 in total sorry. How is it you get to have the bigger
    games with 16 civs? I'm can't see anything obvious. I've not tinkered
    around to see though, so please don't shout if it's anything obvious!

    But thanks for the F5 and F8 advice. I didn't know about them, so will have
    a look when I next play!
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "Brandon Supernaw" <brandon.public@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > The Stare wrote:
    >
    > [snip]

    > Flip those and you're right on target :). Civil Defense in Electronics
    > and Radar towers in Advanced Flight.

    Thanks :)

    > > There are 2 ways to achieve a cultural victory. The first is to have any
    one
    > > city accumulate 20,000 culture points.
    > > The second is to acummulate the total required culture points for the
    map
    > > size you are playing AND have twice the culture of your nearest cultural
    > > rival.
    > >
    > > Culture is used to expand your territory, but it is a separate item.
    Spend
    > > some time on F8 :)
    >
    > Just want to also say look at F5 as well if you're aiming for a cultural
    > victory. It'll help you see if any particular city is creeping up on
    > the 20K mark solo. Also, not sure if map size has any bearing on
    > culture needed for a victory (not based on one city). I thought it was
    > 100,000 points and twice that your nearest rival regardless of map (80K
    > if you happen to be playing unpatched vanilla Civ III.

    In conquests, map size determines the culture limit. Huge is 160K.

    There is more info available via F8 than previous as well. It will tell you
    which city has the most culture and the next highest rival city. I find the
    cultural advisor is only useful in certain situations.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    wrote in message news:c5ecor$fc2$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...

    > I take it they got rid of radio as it took too long to research then, in
    > relation to the game finishing in 2050?

    Nobody is really sure why they got rid of radio. One thought is they wanted
    to shorten the industrial age because they added 2 optional techs to it.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 12:27:15 +0100, "Contro"
    wrote:

    >"Brandon Supernaw" <brandon.public@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> Contro wrote:
    >> > Hi Guys,
    >> >
    >> > I was just hoping you could help me in regards to the latest patches.
    >> >
    >> > I've been to www.civ3.com, which I assume is the official site, and
    >there
    >> > are a number of patches available for Conquests. However, I'm from the
    >UK,
    >> > and it says that the patches are for the US version only. I've no idea
    >if
    >> > this is a language thing, or if they genuinely won't work. There does
    >seem
    >> > to be an international patch lower down, but that seems to be for Play
    >the
    >> > World, and doesn't make much sense anyway when I clicked on it.
    >> >
    >> > So I was just wondering if I could download these patches for my UK
    >version,
    >> > or if not, does anyone know if the patches are available for the UK, and
    >if
    >> > so, how can I get them?
    >> >
    >> > Also, there seems to be some controversy about the patches....are some
    >of
    >> > them not worth downloading anyway? Obviously I want to enjoy the game,
    >so
    >> > would prefer to stay away from any dodgy patches or ones that make the
    >game
    >> > less enjoyable.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for your help!
    >> >
    >> > Contro.
    >> >

    >> http://www.firaxis.com/downloads_detail.cfm?file_id=74
    >>
    >> Patch v1.22f all in one patch for all languages, and it comes in at a
    >> hefty 24.3MB in size. Whether you want it or not is your call. I am
    >> perfectly happy with it, but others have stated they have no intention
    >> of loading it. That page lists all of the changes it made, so you can
    >> make an informed decision whether you want it or not.
    >
    >Thanks very much for that! I've downloaded it, but not yet installed it. I
    >see that it has taken away the radio option. To be honest though, I'm a
    >novice at Civ, so I don't really know for sure if it's a good or a bad
    >thing. It seems that the Radio advance allows you to place Radio towers,
    >but I am still at the stage where I just automate my workers, and allow them
    >to do what they want, which means I never really have any colonies or what
    >not.

    All that Radio did was give you a couple of techs, and those were
    moved to other ones. I don't think that it affects the overall
    gameplay much, other than to remove one tech which was a "roadblock"
    on the path to the modern era.

    >Can I ask you a quick question regarding Civ though...it's regarding the
    >victory conditions. You have the cultural victory condition, but how does
    >this work exactly? I'm assuming your culture is not based on the territory
    >you own, as that would make it similar to the domination winning condition
    >(or whatever it's called), but then, when you increase in culture, your
    >territory usually increases too, so I'm a little confused by this.

    Cultural victory uses the total culture of all cities -- you can
    check this with the cultural advisor, and also on the scoring graph.
    You can win either by having one single city hit 20000 culture, or by
    having your total culture hit the score needed to win on the map (in
    Civ3/PTW, this is 100000), but you also must have more than twice that
    of your next nearest rival.

    The easiest way to make lots of culture is to have lots of cities
    with culture buildings. Many buildings generate bonus culture if
    they've existed long enough, so early cities pay off better than new
    ones.

    >Also, the diplomatic victory...is it worth having this enabled? I can see
    >it being very annoying if you are doing really well, only to lose due to
    >this. And is it fairly done too, or do the computer peoples never vote for
    >you, no matter how nice and diplomatic you have been?

    The UN vote is fairly done, but it is hard to know if the AI will
    vote for you. Check diplomatically, see if they all are gracious with
    you. If not, try to make them so.

    One way to get votes on your side is to get involved in a war. You
    allies will never vote for your mutual enemies, so if you are one of
    the candidates you can ensure getting some votes.

    The AI may also abstain, and it is fairly easy for a close game to
    yield a tie.

    The vote is annoying because it isn't possible to predict if you
    will win before you call for it. The AI will never call for the vote
    unless they can win. OTOH, as a human you can just reload the game if
    you lose the vote, then refuse to call it.

    It does offer one more victory option, but I think it is more likely
    to be used as a push to get the UN to deny the vote for everyone.

  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    "Jeffery S. Jones" <jeffsj@execpc.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 12:27:15 +0100, "Contro"
    > <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Brandon Supernaw" <brandon.public@earthlink.net> wrote in message

    > >there
    > >UK,
    > >if
    > >seem
    Play
    > >the

    > >version,
    > >if

    > >of
    > >so
    > >game

    > >> http://www.firaxis.com/downloads_detail.cfm?file_id=74
    > >>
    > >> Patch v1.22f all in one patch for all languages, and it comes in at a
    > >> hefty 24.3MB in size. Whether you want it or not is your call. I am
    > >> perfectly happy with it, but others have stated they have no intention
    > >> of loading it. That page lists all of the changes it made, so you can
    > >> make an informed decision whether you want it or not.
    > >
    > >Thanks very much for that! I've downloaded it, but not yet installed it.
    > >see that it has taken away the radio option. To be honest though, I'm a
    > >novice at Civ, so I don't really know for sure if it's a good or a bad
    > >thing. It seems that the Radio advance allows you to place Radio towers,
    > >but I am still at the stage where I just automate my workers, and allow
    them
    > >to do what they want, which means I never really have any colonies or
    what
    > >not.
    >
    > All that Radio did was give you a couple of techs, and those were
    > moved to other ones. I don't think that it affects the overall
    > gameplay much, other than to remove one tech which was a "roadblock"
    > on the path to the modern era.

    yes, I know what you mean. I was just worried that something had been taken
    out, but nothing has really.

    > >Can I ask you a quick question regarding Civ though...it's regarding the
    > >victory conditions. You have the cultural victory condition, but how
    does
    > >this work exactly? I'm assuming your culture is not based on the
    territory
    > >you own, as that would make it similar to the domination winning
    condition
    > >(or whatever it's called), but then, when you increase in culture, your
    > >territory usually increases too, so I'm a little confused by this.
    >
    > Cultural victory uses the total culture of all cities -- you can
    > check this with the cultural advisor, and also on the scoring graph.
    > You can win either by having one single city hit 20000 culture, or by
    > having your total culture hit the score needed to win on the map (in
    > Civ3/PTW, this is 100000), but you also must have more than twice that
    > of your next nearest rival.
    >
    > The easiest way to make lots of culture is to have lots of cities
    > with culture buildings. Many buildings generate bonus culture if
    > they've existed long enough, so early cities pay off better than new
    > ones.

    Thanks! Not an easy victory condition really! Does this mean that a
    culture victory is very closely related to a domination victory, as surely
    for a good culture rating, without going for the single city win, you need a
    lot of cities, which can only really be got by taking over lots of others?

    > >Also, the diplomatic victory...is it worth having this enabled? I can
    see
    > >it being very annoying if you are doing really well, only to lose due to
    > >this. And is it fairly done too, or do the computer peoples never vote
    for
    > >you, no matter how nice and diplomatic you have been?
    > >

    > The UN vote is fairly done, but it is hard to know if the AI will
    > vote for you. Check diplomatically, see if they all are gracious with
    > you. If not, try to make them so.
    >
    > One way to get votes on your side is to get involved in a war. You
    > allies will never vote for your mutual enemies, so if you are one of
    > the candidates you can ensure getting some votes.
    >
    > The AI may also abstain, and it is fairly easy for a close game to
    > yield a tie.
    >
    > The vote is annoying because it isn't possible to predict if you
    > will win before you call for it. The AI will never call for the vote
    > unless they can win. OTOH, as a human you can just reload the game if
    > you lose the vote, then refuse to call it.
    >
    > It does offer one more victory option, but I think it is more likely
    > to be used as a push to get the UN to deny the vote for everyone.

    Sounds like it's done well! I might as well add it in future then, as it
    all adds to the fun. I'm not sure a computer player is ever liked enought to
    win very often. Only problem with it is that if you have all these
    wonderful plans, and then some civ wins the UN vote, it could be quite
    annoying! I guess it's a way to enable the small civs to win. Although
    having said that, it's unlikely they'd be able to make any other civ feel
    "gracious" towards them if they have nothing to offer.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 00:35:56 +0100, "Contro"
    wrote:

    >Thanks! Not an easy victory condition really! Does this mean that a
    >culture victory is very closely related to a domination victory, as surely
    >for a good culture rating, without going for the single city win, you need a
    >lot of cities, which can only really be got by taking over lots of others?

    Culture victory is similar to domination but you don't need huge
    amounts of cities to win. Culture builds over time and they are
    weighted. So for instance an early GW will build lots of culture
    over the years. If you focus your attention on building culture early
    it will show later on. The hard part is making sure you are double
    the next opponent. Often times that means attacking the strongest
    competitor.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3 (More info?)

    P12 wrote:
    > On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 00:35:56 +0100, "Contro"
    > <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks! Not an easy victory condition really! Does this mean that a
    >> culture victory is very closely related to a domination victory, as
    >> surely for a good culture rating, without going for the single city
    >> win, you need a lot of cities, which can only really be got by
    >> taking over lots of others?
    >
    > Culture victory is similar to domination but you don't need huge
    > amounts of cities to win. Culture builds over time and they are
    > weighted. So for instance an early GW will build lots of culture
    > over the years. If you focus your attention on building culture early
    > it will show later on. The hard part is making sure you are double
    > the next opponent. Often times that means attacking the strongest
    > competitor.

    Which again means taking more cities! LOL But yes, I know what you mean.
    The only time I had a culture victory was when I pretty much owned 2 thirds
    of the landmass to the extent that I thought I had won a domination victory
    at first, until I remembered what a culture one actually meant!

    I think it would be very difficult to have a culture victory without owning
    at least half the land in the game, as like you say, there is also the
    problem of being twice your rivals culture, and it would be hard to do that
    without a lot of cities and without battering your rival a bit.

Video Games