Question about Installing C3C on a New PC

Aqualung

I'm interested in moving CivIII,PTW & C3C to a new PC and am wondering
what is necessary to load. I assume I'll need vanilla CivIII, PTW, C3C
and the latest C3C patch v. 1.2. What about a Civ III patch (1.29 was
the latest one for me) or a PTW patch? I assume that
Civ3Conquests.EXE is the primary and all other EXE game files are
unnecessary. It just seems that there's alot of duplicate files in the
first 2 versions that can be eliminated. Any help is appreciated.
TIA

You need to install CivIII and C3C. PTW is included in C3C. If you want
the option of using your PTW disk for playing PTW then you will need to
install PTW before installing C3C.
As far as patches go, C3C should have the most current PTW patch inclued in
it's version of PTW.

Actually, CivIII is the primary program. PTW and C3C both use CivIII
information and add to it with their own. C3C also uses PTW information
that is why it is included with the C3C install. You could look at it this
way. PTW and C3C are just large scenarios of CivIII each with their own
executable files.

There are some "duplicate" file names, but there is different information in
each file as required per the game version they came with.

Tzar Sasha

<Aqualung> wrote in message
> I'm interested in moving CivIII,PTW & C3C to a new PC and am wondering
> what is necessary to load. I assume I'll need vanilla CivIII, PTW, C3C
> and the latest C3C patch v. 1.2. What about a Civ III patch (1.29 was
> the latest one for me) or a PTW patch? I assume that
> Civ3Conquests.EXE is the primary and all other EXE game files are
> unnecessary. It just seems that there's alot of duplicate files in the
> first 2 versions that can be eliminated. Any help is appreciated.

Install Civ3 then Conquests. Conquests will patch civ3 to 1.29 and install
PTW because it uses most of the files from that. Patch C3C to 1.22

Disk space is cheap, don't try deleting stuff to save space.

If you want a better setup, install it to C:\civ3 instead of c:\program
files\firaxis\civilization III
That will shorten the path name *alot*.

The Stare wrote:

> <Aqualung> wrote in message
>> I'm interested in moving CivIII,PTW & C3C to a new PC and am wondering
>> what is necessary to load. I assume I'll need vanilla CivIII, PTW, C3C
>> and the latest C3C patch v. 1.2. What about a Civ III patch (1.29 was
>> the latest one for me) or a PTW patch? I assume that
>> Civ3Conquests.EXE is the primary and all other EXE game files are
>> unnecessary. It just seems that there's alot of duplicate files in the
>> first 2 versions that can be eliminated. Any help is appreciated.
>
> Install Civ3 then Conquests. Conquests will patch civ3 to 1.29 and install
> PTW because it uses most of the files from that. Patch C3C to 1.22
>
> Disk space is cheap, don't try deleting stuff to save space.

Disk space isn't always cheap. It is worth deleting scenarios you don't use,
imo.

> If you want a better setup, install it to C:\civ3 instead of c:\program
> files\firaxis\civilization III
> That will shorten the path name *alot*.

But tends to give you a pretty messy root dir if you use it a lot. (but then
program files tends to get like that anyway. I'm glad I now just
have /usr/{bin,doc,include,lib,man,share})

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 23:44:51 +0000, MikeyD <m_donaghy50@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Disk space isn't always cheap. It is worth deleting scenarios you don't use,
>imo.

Plus your better off downloading a newer version of the scenario if
you wish to play them.

>But tends to give you a pretty messy root dir if you use it a lot. (but then
>program files tends to get like that anyway. I'm glad I now just
>have /usr/{bin,doc,include,lib,man,share})

That sounds more like a Unix box than a Windows PC. I am trying to
deal with some boxes at work where the previous admin had upgraded the
OS leaving many of the programs unusable in the new version. There is
also multiple versions of software. To top it off I was bitched at
for saying I was "cleaning up" the system. My boss said people had
complained that was offensive to he former admin. That reminds me of
a conversation with a former boss where a 300 pound employee had
complained I called her fat.

>>Disk space isn't always cheap. It is worth deleting scenarios you don't
>>use, imo.
>
> Plus your better off downloading a newer version of the scenario if
> you wish to play them.

Indeed. But some of them (IIRC the balancer is one) seem to have
disappeared.

>>But tends to give you a pretty messy root dir if you use it a lot. (but
>>then program files tends to get like that anyway. I'm glad I now just
>>have /usr/{bin,doc,include,lib,man,share})
>
> That sounds more like a Unix box than a Windows PC.

That's because it is :)