Decisions Decisions ...

Fluffy

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2002
Now, I am about to do a major upgrade to my computer, including memory, CPU, and motherboard. Here is the problem ...

I have narrowed motherboard choices down to 2 boards
The first board only has AGP 4x, but supports RAMBUS 1066
The second board has AGP 8x, but only supports DDR 400 instead.

Which is better? The increased power of AGP 8x graphic cards, or the superior speed of RAMBUS?

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
At the moment AGP 8x is not an important spec. There isn't a game out there that can overpowers the AGP 4x spec. For future upgradeability AGP 8x is the answer. Rambus 1066 support will give you added performance now while AGP 8x promises performance increases that won't be seen for at least a year.

The Men Behind the GUNS!

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=327" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>

johnoh

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
At the moment the lower prices are worth more than either near term performance impact

<i>Reason the only absolute. Irrationality the only enemy. </i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Rambus helps, AGP8x doesn't. It really depends on how much you're willing to spend, now doesn't it?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
I think you should also ask yourself how long you´re keeping the motherboard. Games won´t actually need AGP8x for several years.

You might also want to add some memory later on and in this case DDR would probably be cheaper.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
DDR running at 333mhz with CL2 is very very fast. and theres motherboards out now that have 2 memory controllers, doubling performance..

unless you have a P4 with a 533 memory bus, I dont recommend rambus. its way more expensive and the money you save going with DDR can buy you more ram or a better video card which will make MUCH more differance than the difference between ddr and rambus. its only like a 5% difference at MOST

also DDR2 is coming out soon.. it will blow rambus out of the water