All these mods

Last response: in Video Games
Share
April 17, 2004 4:38:09 AM

Hi again Guys,

Are all these mods any good? I've seen a few that allow for multiple unit
sprites and ones where the terrain is made to look a lot richer and more
detailed. Plus there are the ones suggested by AK47 in his recent
post.....how do you all find them? I'm always a bit worried about
installing anything like this, in case, while they are good ideas, it just
doesn't work or has faults in there.

Have any of you tried any of these mods, and if so, what do you think?
Worth doing?

Contro.

More about : mods

Anonymous
April 17, 2004 1:04:57 PM

"Contro" <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom> wrote in message news:<c5pqp2$ggm$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>...
> Hi again Guys,
>
> Are all these mods any good? I've seen a few that allow for multiple unit
> sprites and ones where the terrain is made to look a lot richer and more
> detailed. Plus there are the ones suggested by AK47 in his recent
> post.....how do you all find them? I'm always a bit worried about
> installing anything like this, in case, while they are good ideas, it just
> doesn't work or has faults in there.
>
> Have any of you tried any of these mods, and if so, what do you think?
> Worth doing?
>
> Contro.

You can find many mods over at Civfanatics.com Additionally since the
mods are posted in their own threads you can read the posts in the
thread to get an idea to what others think of the mod.
April 17, 2004 9:27:06 PM

"etj4 Eagle" <etj4Eagle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Contro"
<moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
wrote in message news:<c5pqp2$ggm$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>...
> > Hi again Guys,
> >
> > Are all these mods any good? I've seen a few that allow for multiple
unit
> > sprites and ones where the terrain is made to look a lot richer and more
> > detailed. Plus there are the ones suggested by AK47 in his recent
> > post.....how do you all find them? I'm always a bit worried about
> > installing anything like this, in case, while they are good ideas, it
just
> > doesn't work or has faults in there.
> >
> > Have any of you tried any of these mods, and if so, what do you think?
> > Worth doing?
> >
> > Contro.
>
> You can find many mods over at Civfanatics.com Additionally since the
> mods are posted in their own threads you can read the posts in the
> thread to get an idea to what others think of the mod.

That's part of why I thought I'd ask really, as there are so many, and they
seem to be so sporadic, that it's hard to know just which ones are complete
or worth having. Obviously, if I were going to install one, I'd want a
complete one, not to just replace one or two sets of units with upgraded
versions.

From what I've seen, you can upgrade the appearance of swordsman here, and
upgrade your temple there, but I'd prefer to get a consistent mod, and not
only that, one that works too and doesn't contain any faults or what not.

Also, there was that one posted by AK47 just before, but is that any good?
Do the new units unbalance the game, and also, I'm not convinced by the
Amazon civ....the woman doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the
caricatures.

Just wanted to hear what you guys thought too, and if you used them! Do you
use any of these mods?
April 17, 2004 10:48:01 PM

"Contro"
<moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
wrote in message news:c5pqp2$ggm$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Hi again Guys,
>
> Are all these mods any good? I've seen a few that allow for multiple unit
> sprites and ones where the terrain is made to look a lot richer and more
> detailed. Plus there are the ones suggested by AK47 in his recent
> post.....how do you all find them? I'm always a bit worried about
> installing anything like this, in case, while they are good ideas, it just
> doesn't work or has faults in there.
>
> Have any of you tried any of these mods, and if so, what do you think?
> Worth doing?

I use Snoopy's Greener Terrain but use CCJ39 irrigation graphics and narrow
roads.

There is also some different barb camp and ruins graphics that are good.

Being just graphics mods, they don't change any rules and you don't have to
worry about compatibility.
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 11:36:19 PM

> Hi again Guys,
>
> Have any of you tried any of these mods, and if so, what do you think?
> Worth doing?

I play Double Your Pleasure a lot; complete with no bugs. It's a bit of
chore to download the files on a 28.8k modem, but it was worth it to me,
considering the many hours of gameplay.

Tc
April 18, 2004 1:40:53 AM

"The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message

> "Contro"
> <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
> wrote in message news:c5pqp2$ggm$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...
> > Hi again Guys,
> >
> > Are all these mods any good? I've seen a few that allow for multiple
unit
> > sprites and ones where the terrain is made to look a lot richer and more
> > detailed. Plus there are the ones suggested by AK47 in his recent
> > post.....how do you all find them? I'm always a bit worried about
> > installing anything like this, in case, while they are good ideas, it
just
> > doesn't work or has faults in there.
> >
> > Have any of you tried any of these mods, and if so, what do you think?
> > Worth doing?
>
> I use Snoopy's Greener Terrain but use CCJ39 irrigation graphics and
narrow
> roads.
>
> There is also some different barb camp and ruins graphics that are good.
>
> Being just graphics mods, they don't change any rules and you don't have
> worry about compatibility.

Those were the main ones I was considering really. I'm just not sure...I
like the way it looks now really! I'm sure the mods will look better, but I
don't know. Why change a winning team?!

I was a bit worried that these ones would have graphical glitches in some
places, but I'm assuming that they don't since you recommend them. The
people who make these mods seem to do a pretty good job too!

I'm caught in two minds really. Don't know what to do.
April 18, 2004 1:45:57 AM

Maybe I'm not the most neutral person to answer this, but I can't resist...

I spent about 250hrs making TML3. I'd say it's very consistent and there
aren't any bugs in it.
Before releasing, we tested it with 5 people during 5 weeks to make sure it
was balanced in terms of gameplay etc. Personally, I'm very happy with the
end result.
It's not exactly sporadic anymore either. I made the first version back in
November, it got about 600 downloads in the 2 months it was available. 2nd
version came out around Christmas, and got some 2000 downloads in 3 months.
TML3 is out since 26/03 and already got 1200 downloads in its first 3 weeks.
Comments I get are mostly positive to very positive.
Check it out, I'd say...
AK.

"Contro"
<moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
wrote in message news:c5pqp2$ggm$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Hi again Guys,
>
> Are all these mods any good? I've seen a few that allow for multiple unit
> sprites and ones where the terrain is made to look a lot richer and more
> detailed. Plus there are the ones suggested by AK47 in his recent
> post.....how do you all find them? I'm always a bit worried about
> installing anything like this, in case, while they are good ideas, it just
> doesn't work or has faults in there.
>
> Have any of you tried any of these mods, and if so, what do you think?
> Worth doing?
>
> Contro.

April 18, 2004 1:47:59 AM

"topcover" <topcover@home.net> wrote in message

> > Hi again Guys,
> >
> > Have any of you tried any of these mods, and if so, what do you think?
> > Worth doing?
>

> I play Double Your Pleasure a lot; complete with no bugs. It's a bit of
> chore to download the files on a 28.8k modem, but it was worth it to me,
> considering the many hours of gameplay.
>
> Tc

well I think I might have to look into it! but I think only once I've
played the original and done really well at that. it seems to be a pretty
big modification from the main game, such as with AK47's one, and I think I
would be silly to change before I've mastered the original game.

But thanks for the recommendation though! I'll certainly keep this one in
mind later on!

One question I have with the mods though is that do all the new additions to
the tech tree slow you down in getting to the modern era or what not? I
like the way Constitutional Monarchy is added though, as I always wondered
why that wasn't there in the first place. Although I would say that being
from the UK LOL
April 18, 2004 1:58:48 AM

"AK47" <kris.verhelst@skynet.be> wrote in message
> Maybe I'm not the most neutral person to answer this, but I can't
resist...

> I spent about 250hrs making TML3. I'd say it's very consistent and there
> aren't any bugs in it.
> Before releasing, we tested it with 5 people during 5 weeks to make sure
it
> was balanced in terms of gameplay etc. Personally, I'm very happy with the
> end result.
> It's not exactly sporadic anymore either. I made the first version back in
> November, it got about 600 downloads in the 2 months it was available. 2nd
> version came out around Christmas, and got some 2000 downloads in 3
months.
> TML3 is out since 26/03 and already got 1200 downloads in its first 3
weeks.
> Comments I get are mostly positive to very positive.
> Check it out, I'd say...
> AK.

ahh, I didn't realise you had made it! I should have looked harder on your
link. I'm sorry for my comment in the other page. I didn't think the
creator of the mod would be about, otherwise I would have been a bit more
careful with what I said. It does look a very good mod, I have to admit!
I've had another look at the Amazonian leader, and I have changed my mind
somewhat, but I do still think she does look a bit different to the others.
But I think this is because you tried to give her a beautiful look, whilst
trying to stay similar to the styles of faces given to the other leaders.
But it would be hard to have a character looking beautiful if the facial
shape was too similar to the other characters. Or perhaps it's just because
all the other characters look ugly that makes her stand out a bit! So you
didn't do a bad job at all with her! I didn't mean to make it sound like I
only had a bad thing to say about it or anything like that. It's just that
I was a bit worried how it would all fit in with the "real" civ, and blurted
that out as a sort of example. I hope you don't mind and didn't take
offense.

I asked a similar question in another post about the double your pleasure
mod, but do you find that the new tech tree boxes mean it makes it slower to
reach the modern era, or have you changed it so it works out with research
times?

how did you actually write the mod though?! I wouldn't even know where to
start!
Anonymous
April 18, 2004 2:43:04 AM

wrote in message news:c5s4om$lch$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...

> "The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Contro"
> > <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
> > wrote in message news:c5pqp2$ggm$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...
> > > Hi again Guys,
> > >
> > > Are all these mods any good? I've seen a few that allow for multiple
> unit
> > > sprites and ones where the terrain is made to look a lot richer and
more
> > > detailed. Plus there are the ones suggested by AK47 in his recent
> > > post.....how do you all find them? I'm always a bit worried about
> > > installing anything like this, in case, while they are good ideas, it
> just
> > > doesn't work or has faults in there.
> > >
> > > Have any of you tried any of these mods, and if so, what do you think?
> > > Worth doing?
> >
> > I use Snoopy's Greener Terrain but use CCJ39 irrigation graphics and
> narrow
> > roads.
> >
> > There is also some different barb camp and ruins graphics that are good.
> >
> > Being just graphics mods, they don't change any rules and you don't have
> > worry about compatibility.
>
> Those were the main ones I was considering really. I'm just not sure...I
> like the way it looks now really! I'm sure the mods will look better, but
> don't know. Why change a winning team?!
>
> I was a bit worried that these ones would have graphical glitches in some
> places, but I'm assuming that they don't since you recommend them. The
> people who make these mods seem to do a pretty good job too!
>
> I'm caught in two minds really. Don't know what to do.

Go ahead and keep playing it like it is until you get sick of the bland
graphics. It was the green oceans that made me try something else.

Before you install a graphics mod, just make a backup of the entire ART
folder. That way the files you want to change back will still be there. For
example, snoopys with the original irrigation graphics still looks pretty
good.
Anonymous
April 18, 2004 2:43:05 AM

If you have conquests and you don't want to backup and copy over your
existing files you can do the following:
1 Create a folder in your "..\conquests\scenarios" folder call it whatever
you want.
2 Follow instructions for installing the graphics, but put them into the
folder you created. You may have to manually place them for some graphics
packs.
3 Go to the editor
4 Go to Scenario:Scenario Properties and where it asks for a search folder
type in "..\scenarios\"whatever you named your folder""
5 If you want to have random maps and not change anything else about the
game Save As and give it a name you'll remember.
6 Run Conquests go to civ-content and pick out your new file. The game will
play just like the out of the box games, but with the new graphics.

If you need to manually install the graphics files, look at the directory
structure of CivIII, PTW and C3C. That same directory structure (if
everything were changed for a mod) would be in your new folder. For
graphics purposes only those folders pertaining to those files need be used.
Only the new graphics files need be put into your new scenario folder.
Everything else will be called up from the standard game folders.

Tzar Sasha

> "Contro"
> <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
> wrote in message news:c5s4om$lch$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
> >
> > "The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Contro"

<moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>

> > unit
> more
> > just

> > > I use Snoopy's Greener Terrain but use CCJ39 irrigation graphics and
> > narrow
> > > roads.
> > >
> > > There is also some different barb camp and ruins graphics that are
good.

> > > Being just graphics mods, they don't change any rules and you don't
have
> > > worry about compatibility.
> >
> > Those were the main ones I was considering really. I'm just not
sure...I
> > like the way it looks now really! I'm sure the mods will look better,
but
> > don't know. Why change a winning team?!
> >
> > I was a bit worried that these ones would have graphical glitches in
some
> > places, but I'm assuming that they don't since you recommend them. The
> > people who make these mods seem to do a pretty good job too!
> >
> > I'm caught in two minds really. Don't know what to do.
>
> Go ahead and keep playing it like it is until you get sick of the bland
> graphics. It was the green oceans that made me try something else.
>
> Before you install a graphics mod, just make a backup of the entire ART
> folder. That way the files you want to change back will still be there.
For
> example, snoopys with the original irrigation graphics still looks pretty
> good.

April 18, 2004 3:04:38 PM

No problemo. I'm not offended. Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
Most of the graphics used in the mod (example Thalestris) are not my
creations. Many people make units, leaderheads, wonders etc. on
Civfanatics.com. For TML, I compile the best (in my view), give them a name,
settings, integrate them into the game in a useful and balanced way, make
civilopedia entries etc etc. I do create some of the wonder graphics, as
well as icons and graphics corrections etc.
If you install TML3, it doesn't "overwrite" the existing folders, so a
backup is not necessary. It's also easy to remove, in the unlikely event
that you don't like it :-)

> ahh, I didn't realise you had made it! I should have looked harder on
your
> link. I'm sorry for my comment in the other page. I didn't think the
> creator of the mod would be about, otherwise I would have been a bit more
> careful with what I said. It does look a very good mod, I have to admit!
> I've had another look at the Amazonian leader, and I have changed my mind
> somewhat, but I do still think she does look a bit different to the
others.
> But I think this is because you tried to give her a beautiful look, whilst
> trying to stay similar to the styles of faces given to the other leaders.
> But it would be hard to have a character looking beautiful if the facial
> shape was too similar to the other characters. Or perhaps it's just
because
> all the other characters look ugly that makes her stand out a bit! So you
> didn't do a bad job at all with her! I didn't mean to make it sound like
> only had a bad thing to say about it or anything like that. It's just
that
> I was a bit worried how it would all fit in with the "real" civ, and
blurted
> that out as a sort of example. I hope you don't mind and didn't take
> offense.
>
> I asked a similar question in another post about the double your pleasure
> mod, but do you find that the new tech tree boxes mean it makes it slower
> reach the modern era, or have you changed it so it works out with research
> times?
>
> how did you actually write the mod though?! I wouldn't even know where to
> start!

Anonymous
April 18, 2004 6:00:17 PM

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 21:47:59 +0100, "Contro"
wrote:

>"topcover" <topcover@home.net> wrote in message
>>
>> > Hi again Guys,
>> >
>> > Have any of you tried any of these mods, and if so, what do you think?
>> > Worth doing?
>>

>> I play Double Your Pleasure a lot; complete with no bugs. It's a bit of
>> chore to download the files on a 28.8k modem, but it was worth it to me,
>> considering the many hours of gameplay.
>>
>> Tc
>
>well I think I might have to look into it! but I think only once I've
>played the original and done really well at that. it seems to be a pretty
>big modification from the main game, such as with AK47's one, and I think I
>would be silly to change before I've mastered the original game.

DyP is a major rule change mod -- any of those really make it more
like a different game.

Graphic mods, OTOH, are fine to use -- PTW and Conquests both let
you load them, then load something else to play, no need to actually
change the game.

DyP in PTW or Conquests is the same -- you load it as a scenario.

>But thanks for the recommendation though! I'll certainly keep this one in
>mind later on!
>
>One question I have with the mods though is that do all the new additions to
>the tech tree slow you down in getting to the modern era or what not? I
>like the way Constitutional Monarchy is added though, as I always wondered
>why that wasn't there in the first place. Although I would say that being
>from the UK LOL

DyP has many more techs, which means many more turns in the game.
It is slower in turns but not really in years; early period turns go
faster because there is less that you can do for a while.

** Muskego WI Access Channel 14/25 <http://www.execpc.com/~jeffsj/mach7/&gt;
*Starfire Design Studio* <http://www.starfiredesign.com/&gt;
Anonymous
April 18, 2004 6:59:36 PM

"Contro"

> One question I have with the mods though is that do all the new additions
> the tech tree slow you down in getting to the modern era or what not? I
> like the way Constitutional Monarchy is added though, as I always wondered
> why that wasn't there in the first place. Although I would say that being
> from the UK LOL

Yes, that is a drawback - advancement through the tech tree really does slow
down.

Tc
April 19, 2004 6:15:39 AM

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 00:38:09 +0100, "Contro"
wrote:

>Hi again Guys,
>
>Are all these mods any good?

If you or anyone else here does not have the following two mods, you
should get them right now. They are both graphic mods ONLY. They do
not mess with the core rules.

1. The smiley faces mod (i think it is called that) will put the
happy/content/unhappy little faces on the citizens in the city view.
It is so much easier to instantly see the ratio of happy\unhappy
citizens with this mod. It also works on the citizens when you hit F1.

2. The other mod is very popular. It puts the appropriate letter over
the strategic resources so you can easily see them. So you would see a
big C next to coal for instance. It also puts little shield/gold/food
icons on the strategic\luxury resources so you can see right away
exactly what you would get by working that resource.

Ok those two mods are mandatory as far as I am concerned. I will email
them both to whomever provides me with a valid email address. File
size combined is 226KB. Very small. :)

You should probably change the terrain graphics with Snoopy's Terrain
Mod or something. The terrain graphics that came with the original
game is very bland. I remember having trouble telling the difference
between forest and jungle. But maybe it was just me.
April 19, 2004 3:53:40 PM

The Stare wrote:
> "Contro"
> <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
> wrote in message news:c5s4om$lch$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
>>
>> "The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Contro"
>>> <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>

>>> I use Snoopy's Greener Terrain but use CCJ39 irrigation graphics
>>> and narrow roads.
>>>
>>> There is also some different barb camp and ruins graphics that are
>>> good.
>>>
>>> Being just graphics mods, they don't change any rules and you don't
>>> have to worry about compatibility.
>>
>> Those were the main ones I was considering really. I'm just not
>> sure...I like the way it looks now really! I'm sure the mods will
>> look better, but I don't know. Why change a winning team?!
>>
>> I was a bit worried that these ones would have graphical glitches in
>> some places, but I'm assuming that they don't since you recommend
>> them. The people who make these mods seem to do a pretty good job
>> too!
>>
>> I'm caught in two minds really. Don't know what to do.
>
> Go ahead and keep playing it like it is until you get sick of the
> bland graphics. It was the green oceans that made me try something
> else.

LOL yes, I think if anything this is the mod I'll definitely do first.
thing is, I was just worried that it looked a bit too rich really...but I
think I'll give it a go soon.

> Before you install a graphics mod, just make a backup of the entire
> ART folder. That way the files you want to change back will still be
> there. For example, snoopys with the original irrigation graphics
> still looks pretty good.

Yes, good idea! 500mb though! Quite a lot of graphics! But well worth it
just in case things go wrong.

As for the irrigation graphics, I liked the modified one, as it did look
like little farms or what not, which I'm sure it looked like in earlier civ
games, but well, I was thinking it might not be as clear as the original
graphics. I kind of like the look of the original irrigation too. It's
hard to make a choice!
April 19, 2004 3:55:34 PM

Tzar Sasha wrote:
> If you have conquests and you don't want to backup and copy over your
> existing files you can do the following:
> 1 Create a folder in your "..\conquests\scenarios" folder call it
> whatever you want.
> 2 Follow instructions for installing the graphics, but put them into
> the folder you created. You may have to manually place them for some
> graphics packs.
> 3 Go to the editor
> 4 Go to Scenario:Scenario Properties and where it asks for a search
> folder type in "..\scenarios\"whatever you named your folder""
> 5 If you want to have random maps and not change anything else about
> the game Save As and give it a name you'll remember.
> 6 Run Conquests go to civ-content and pick out your new file. The
> game will play just like the out of the box games, but with the new
> graphics.
>
> If you need to manually install the graphics files, look at the
> directory structure of CivIII, PTW and C3C. That same directory
> structure (if everything were changed for a mod) would be in your new
> folder. For graphics purposes only those folders pertaining to those
> files need be used. Only the new graphics files need be put into your
> new scenario folder. Everything else will be called up from the
> standard game folders.
>
> Tzar Sasha

Thanks very much! I've made a copy of this to keep as a reference!
April 19, 2004 3:56:59 PM

topcover wrote:
> "Contro"
>
>> One question I have with the mods though is that do all the new
>> additions to the tech tree slow you down in getting to the modern
>> era or what not? I like the way Constitutional Monarchy is added
>> though, as I always wondered why that wasn't there in the first
>> place. Although I would say that being from the UK LOL
>
> Yes, that is a drawback - advancement through the tech tree really
> does slow down.
>
> Tc

That is a shame. Couldn't the modders have changed the rates for
advancement though, to even it out?
April 19, 2004 4:00:26 PM

Jeffery S. Jones wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 21:47:59 +0100, "Contro"
> <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
> wrote:
>

>> "topcover" <topcover@home.net> wrote in message

>>> I play Double Your Pleasure a lot; complete with no bugs. It's a
>>> bit of chore to download the files on a 28.8k modem, but it was
>>> worth it to me, considering the many hours of gameplay.
>>>
>>> Tc
>>
>> well I think I might have to look into it! but I think only once
>> I've played the original and done really well at that. it seems to
>> be a pretty big modification from the main game, such as with AK47's
>> one, and I think I would be silly to change before I've mastered the
>> original game.
>
> DyP is a major rule change mod -- any of those really make it more
> like a different game.

Yes, there certainly ar a lot of changes! But as I say, I think I'll
continue with the normal game, and get good at that before I start another
one. I think that is the best bet. Since the mods only have more options,
I think I should understand the original ones well first!

> Graphic mods, OTOH, are fine to use -- PTW and Conquests both let
> you load them, then load something else to play, no need to actually
> change the game.

Very true. I think those will definitely be the first lot I try.
Especially the new terrain mods.

> DyP in PTW or Conquests is the same -- you load it as a scenario.

oh right, so I could still play the original with no difference, it's only
when I choose a scenario game that the Double your Pleasure rules and extras
are used?

>> But thanks for the recommendation though! I'll certainly keep this
>> one in mind later on!
>>
>> One question I have with the mods though is that do all the new
>> additions to the tech tree slow you down in getting to the modern
>> era or what not? I like the way Constitutional Monarchy is added
>> though, as I always wondered why that wasn't there in the first
>> place. Although I would say that being from the UK LOL
>
> DyP has many more techs, which means many more turns in the game.
> It is slower in turns but not really in years; early period turns go
> faster because there is less that you can do for a while.

But surely if there were more techs, there would be more years too, or it
would take longer to reach the later techs in the Modern era?
April 19, 2004 4:07:25 PM

AK47 wrote:
> No problemo. I'm not offended. Everyone's entitled to an opinion.

Thanks! I didn't really mean it as a criticism as such though, as I was
just mentioning that as a sort of example. I wouldn't really judge the game
on that or think any less of it. I just wanted to see if there were
additions to the game that didn't really fit in, and pointed out something
that wasn't really out of place, but suggested it was.

LOL I should just have been more careful with how I put my view across.
Sorry again.

> Most of the graphics used in the mod (example Thalestris) are not my
> creations. Many people make units, leaderheads, wonders etc. on
> Civfanatics.com. For TML, I compile the best (in my view), give them
> a name, settings, integrate them into the game in a useful and
> balanced way, make civilopedia entries etc etc. I do create some of
> the wonder graphics, as well as icons and graphics corrections etc.
> If you install TML3, it doesn't "overwrite" the existing folders, so a
> backup is not necessary. It's also easy to remove, in the unlikely
> event that you don't like it :-)

oh right, I see! So does it play much like a scenario, just like the Double
your Pleasure mod does, so you can still play the normal game, with normal
rules and techs etc, and then you can play the Missing Links rules and
extras under a selection in the scenario game (as in, it is a scenario in
the scenario section)?

Still, despite you not doing all the graphics, must take you ages doing all
the civipedia entries,and the graphics that you do do! But a query I did
have, which I asked about the Double your Pleasure mod, does the extra techs
mean it's longer to get to the modern era, and therefore, become as advanced
as normal by the year 2050?
April 19, 2004 4:12:10 PM

Thanks for these recommendations! I have to admit, I do find it hard to
tell the difference between happy and unhappy faces on the advisor screen.
And yes, just the night before last I wasn't sure what was forest and what
was jungle. I'm not sure I have trouble with the resources
though....although that might be because I don't see them to know! What
happens if you have a resource on a city square though? does it put the big
letter next to the city, and if so, does it mess up the graphics or look
odd?

My email is valid though (just follow the changing instructions), so please
do send them if you still don't mind! Thank you!

Again, not sure if I'll install them straight away though...might wait a bit
to make all the changes at once, and to make sure I do them right by taking
my time.

--
Just because you feel it doesn't mean it's there
April 19, 2004 4:12:11 PM

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:12:10 +0100, "Contro"
wrote:

>Thanks for these recommendations! I have to admit, I do find it hard to
>tell the difference between happy and unhappy faces on the advisor screen.
>And yes, just the night before last I wasn't sure what was forest and what
>was jungle. I'm not sure I have trouble with the resources
>though....although that might be because I don't see them to know! What
>happens if you have a resource on a city square though? does it put the big
>letter next to the city, and if so, does it mess up the graphics or look
>odd?

Yes you see the picture on the city screen and no it does not mess up
the graphics.

>My email is valid though (just follow the changing instructions), so please
>do send them if you still don't mind! Thank you!
>
>Again, not sure if I'll install them straight away though...might wait a bit
>to make all the changes at once, and to make sure I do them right by taking
>my time.

Ok I will send them to you in a moment.
Anonymous
April 19, 2004 6:45:02 PM

In article <c60b9s$ou$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Contro" <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom> wrote:
>topcover wrote:
>> "Contro"
>>
>>> One question I have with the mods though is that do all the new
>>> additions to the tech tree slow you down in getting to the modern
>>> era or what not? I like the way Constitutional Monarchy is added
>>> though, as I always wondered why that wasn't there in the first
>>> place. Although I would say that being from the UK LOL
>>
>> Yes, that is a drawback - advancement through the tech tree really
>> does slow down.
>>
>> Tc
>
>That is a shame. Couldn't the modders have changed the rates for
>advancement though, to even it out?

You can by adjusting the map size based tech rate.

Or you can just trade techs. I have played a few OCC (One City Challenge)
games and a key technique is to trade each and every tech (except for
Literacy) to every other civ whenever you can for what ever you can get. Even
at Regent I find myself build Factories in the 1600's.

Mike G
Anonymous
April 19, 2004 6:45:03 PM

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:45:02 GMT,
mtg@cornellc.cit.stumbling.block.cornell.edu (Mike Garcia) wrote:

>In article <c60b9s$ou$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Contro" <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom> wrote:
>>topcover wrote:
>>> "Contro"

>>> Yes, that is a drawback - advancement through the tech tree really
>>> does slow down.
>>>
>>> Tc
>>
>>That is a shame. Couldn't the modders have changed the rates for
>>advancement though, to even it out?
>
>You can by adjusting the map size based tech rate.

DyP's tech rate is adjusted, as are the number of turns per era.
The game does take longer to play as a result, but you have a whole
lot more to do in each era. There are also a lot more incremental
improvements, which need to have time to use before they expire.

>Or you can just trade techs. I have played a few OCC (One City Challenge)
>games and a key technique is to trade each and every tech (except for
>Literacy) to every other civ whenever you can for what ever you can get. Even
>at Regent I find myself build Factories in the 1600's.

Tech trading can work wonders, if done right. You don't need that
much science potential -- you don't need to be huge -- in order to be
a good trader if you have contact with most or all of the other civs.

** Muskego WI Access Channel 14/25 <http://www.execpc.com/~jeffsj/mach7/&gt;
*Starfire Design Studio* <http://www.starfiredesign.com/&gt;
April 19, 2004 10:36:53 PM

Mike Garcia wrote:
> In article <c60b9s$ou$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Contro"
> <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
> wrote:
>> topcover wrote:
>>> "Contro"

>>> Yes, that is a drawback - advancement through the tech tree really
>>> does slow down.
>>>
>>> Tc
>>
>> That is a shame. Couldn't the modders have changed the rates for
>> advancement though, to even it out?
>
> You can by adjusting the map size based tech rate.

Really? what is this? is this one of the adjustment options you can do?

> Or you can just trade techs. I have played a few OCC (One City
> Challenge)
> games and a key technique is to trade each and every tech (except for
> Literacy) to every other civ whenever you can for what ever you can
> get. Even
> at Regent I find myself build Factories in the 1600's.
>
> Mike G

LOL I've not tried that sort of game yet. How come you don't trade
literacy? is it because of the great library? What about the theory of
evolution though, as surely that isn't a bad one either, as it grants two
techs as well?
April 19, 2004 10:38:40 PM

Jeffery S. Jones wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:45:02 GMT,
> mtg@cornellc.cit.stumbling.block.cornell.edu (Mike Garcia) wrote:
>
>> In article <c60b9s$ou$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Contro"
>> <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
>> wrote:

>>> That is a shame. Couldn't the modders have changed the rates for
>>> advancement though, to even it out?
>>
>> You can by adjusting the map size based tech rate.
>
> DyP's tech rate is adjusted, as are the number of turns per era.
> The game does take longer to play as a result, but you have a whole
> lot more to do in each era. There are also a lot more incremental
> improvements, which need to have time to use before they expire.

ahh, that's good! I was worried that wouldn't be the case. But really,
since the modders can add their own techs, and therefore the time it takes
to learn them, it would be very strange if they couldn't alter the time
needed for other techs to be learnt and what not!

>> Or you can just trade techs. I have played a few OCC (One City
>> Challenge)
>> games and a key technique is to trade each and every tech (except for
>> Literacy) to every other civ whenever you can for what ever you can
>> get. Even
>> at Regent I find myself build Factories in the 1600's.
>
> Tech trading can work wonders, if done right. You don't need that
> much science potential -- you don't need to be huge -- in order to be
> a good trader if you have contact with most or all of the other civs.

it certainly does help! It's my weapon of choice at the moment!
April 19, 2004 10:46:48 PM

Mike wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:12:10 +0100, "Contro"
> <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for these recommendations! I have to admit, I do find it
>> hard to tell the difference between happy and unhappy faces on the
>> advisor screen. And yes, just the night before last I wasn't sure
>> what was forest and what was jungle. I'm not sure I have trouble
>> with the resources though....although that might be because I don't
>> see them to know! What happens if you have a resource on a city
>> square though? does it put the big letter next to the city, and if
>> so, does it mess up the graphics or look odd?
>
> Yes you see the picture on the city screen and no it does not mess up
> the graphics.
>
>> My email is valid though (just follow the changing instructions), so
>> please do send them if you still don't mind! Thank you!
>>
>> Again, not sure if I'll install them straight away though...might
>> wait a bit to make all the changes at once, and to make sure I do
>> them right by taking my time.
>
> Ok I will send them to you in a moment.

Great! Thanks very much, got them safe and well! I've had a look at them,
and they do look very good! I'll be putting them in next time I play!

While I'm on the subject of terrain type mods, I had a look at snoopy's
terrain mods. But the thing is, to install them you have to run them from
the scenario part of civ, and it's not just a case of copying over the art
files....So what do I do if I want to go back to how it was before? is it
just a case of putting back the old art folder? Also, I don't want snoopy's
irrigation graphics, as I think I prefer the original one (as someone else
did....but I can't remember who it was now, I'll have a look in a second),
but again, it doesn't seem to be a case of just changing a certain file. Do
you know would you go about doing this?
April 19, 2004 10:46:49 PM

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 18:46:48 +0100, "Contro"
wrote:

>While I'm on the subject of terrain type mods, I had a look at snoopy's
>terrain mods. But the thing is, to install them you have to run them from
>the scenario part of civ, and it's not just a case of copying over the art
>files....So what do I do if I want to go back to how it was before?

If you want Snoopy's graphics, you click 'civ content' and start a
game from there. If you want to use the original game graphics, then
choose 'new game' instead. Really, that is it. You don't back up and
delete game files like you did with the last two mods. Also, when you
download Snoopy's graphics, it will come with instructions. Its really
easy to get working.

>just a case of putting back the old art folder? Also, I don't want snoopy's
>irrigation graphics, as I think I prefer the original one (as someone else
>did....but I can't remember who it was now, I'll have a look in a second),
>but again, it doesn't seem to be a case of just changing a certain file. Do
>you know would you go about doing this?

Well I never did it. I was happy enough with the irrigation tiles. :-P
I suspect however that you will have to go into the conquest\scenarios
directory (since this is where you have to put Snoopy's graphic files
directory) and from there, find the irrigation file and replace it
with another. For me its c:\games\civ III\Conquests\Scenarios\Snoopy's
Terrain (C3C)\Art\Terrain. In that directory I would replace all the
files that start with irrigation (there are three) with whatever
irrigation files you have and that should do it. I never did it
though, so that is just a guess. So back up those three irrigation
files first if you try this.
April 19, 2004 10:50:58 PM

The Stare wrote:
> "Contro"
> <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
> wrote in message news:c5s4om$lch$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
>>
>> "The Stare" <wat1@not.likely.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Contro"
>>> <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>

>>> I use Snoopy's Greener Terrain but use CCJ39 irrigation graphics
>>> and narrow roads.
>>>
>>> There is also some different barb camp and ruins graphics that are
>>> good.
>>>
>>> Being just graphics mods, they don't change any rules and you don't
>>> have to worry about compatibility.
>>
>> Those were the main ones I was considering really. I'm just not
>> sure...I like the way it looks now really! I'm sure the mods will
>> look better, but I don't know. Why change a winning team?!
>>
>> I was a bit worried that these ones would have graphical glitches in
>> some places, but I'm assuming that they don't since you recommend
>> them. The people who make these mods seem to do a pretty good job
>> too!
>>
>> I'm caught in two minds really. Don't know what to do.
>
> Go ahead and keep playing it like it is until you get sick of the
> bland graphics. It was the green oceans that made me try something
> else.
>
> Before you install a graphics mod, just make a backup of the entire
> ART folder. That way the files you want to change back will still be
> there. For example, snoopys with the original irrigation graphics
> still looks pretty good.

Yes, I had a download at Snoopy's terrain mod in the end, and while it does
look great, I think I'd prefer to stick with the original irrigation
graphics. But the thing is, snoopy's mod seems to be installed via a
scenario selection, rather than just changing a file in the art folder...so
how is it you revert back if you would want to? would it just be a case of
swapping the art folder back to the one you had beforehand? Also, how is it
I keep the original irrigation rather than having it replaced by Snoopy's?
I can't seem to find the original irrigation graphics in the art file, so
I'm not sure what to do really...would it just be a case of deleting
snoopy's irrigation art files before I install his mod?

I've asked this elsewhere to someone else in the group, so sorry for asking
twice!
Anonymous
April 19, 2004 10:50:59 PM

wrote in message news:c613hv$k37$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...

> Yes, I had a download at Snoopy's terrain mod in the end, and while it
does
> look great, I think I'd prefer to stick with the original irrigation
> graphics. But the thing is, snoopy's mod seems to be installed via a
> scenario selection, rather than just changing a file in the art
folder...so
> how is it you revert back if you would want to? would it just be a case
of
> swapping the art folder back to the one you had beforehand? Also, how is
it
> I keep the original irrigation rather than having it replaced by Snoopy's?
> I can't seem to find the original irrigation graphics in the art file, so
> I'm not sure what to do really...would it just be a case of deleting
> snoopy's irrigation art files before I install his mod?

I overwrote the stock files with snoopys so that it always uses it.

C3C uses some files from PTW and Civ3 art folders. If you have c3c, and just
install snoopys to the conquests\art folder, it will find the new stuff
there first. The irrigation files are in the vanilla civ3 art\terrain
folder.
April 20, 2004 4:08:55 PM

The Stare wrote:
> "Contro"
> <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
> wrote in message news:c613hv$k37$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
>>
>> Yes, I had a download at Snoopy's terrain mod in the end, and while
>> it does look great, I think I'd prefer to stick with the original
>> irrigation graphics. But the thing is, snoopy's mod seems to be
>> installed via a scenario selection, rather than just changing a file
>> in the art folder...so how is it you revert back if you would want
>> to? would it just be a case of swapping the art folder back to the
>> one you had beforehand? Also, how is it I keep the original
>> irrigation rather than having it replaced by Snoopy's? I can't seem
>> to find the original irrigation graphics in the art file, so I'm not
>> sure what to do really...would it just be a case of deleting
>> snoopy's irrigation art files before I install his mod?
>
> I overwrote the stock files with snoopys so that it always uses it.
>
> C3C uses some files from PTW and Civ3 art folders. If you have c3c,
> and just install snoopys to the conquests\art folder, it will find
> the new stuff there first. The irrigation files are in the vanilla
> civ3 art\terrain folder.

yes, it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. For some reason, I
couldn't see the irrigation files in the original folder! I have no idea
why, as they were pretty obvious! That's why I was a bit unsure, but once I
found them, it was all okay. I've installed it now, and it's not bad at
all! I'm thinking of toning down the sea a bit though by getting a greener
one, as the transition between shore and ocean is quite drastic! but we'll
see, I'll see how I get used to it! I like it though, it is a good
improvement!
April 20, 2004 4:12:11 PM

Mike wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 18:46:48 +0100, "Contro"
> <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
> wrote:
>
>> While I'm on the subject of terrain type mods, I had a look at
>> snoopy's terrain mods. But the thing is, to install them you have
>> to run them from the scenario part of civ, and it's not just a case
>> of copying over the art files....So what do I do if I want to go
>> back to how it was before?
>
> If you want Snoopy's graphics, you click 'civ content' and start a
> game from there. If you want to use the original game graphics, then
> choose 'new game' instead. Really, that is it. You don't back up and
> delete game files like you did with the last two mods. Also, when you
> download Snoopy's graphics, it will come with instructions. Its really
> easy to get working.

Yes, got it all going! In the end, I just copied his files into the art
folder, except not including the irrigation files. Works very well! And I
installed the mods you sent me as well! They are very good indeed! The
smiley mod that you sent me was not the conquests version though, but I
found that after a quick search on CivFanatics, so it was not a problem. I
used that one to change the original civ art folder though, just in case I
come back to that one LOL but yes, thank you very much! They do make those
areas a lot clearer. Especially the faces on the advisor screen section
showing the unhappiness for all cities (when you get big cities, it was just
impossible to tell the difference in faces).

>> just a case of putting back the old art folder? Also, I don't want
>> snoopy's irrigation graphics, as I think I prefer the original one
>> (as someone else did....but I can't remember who it was now, I'll
>> have a look in a second), but again, it doesn't seem to be a case of
>> just changing a certain file. Do you know would you go about doing
>> this?
>
> Well I never did it. I was happy enough with the irrigation tiles. :-P
> I suspect however that you will have to go into the conquest\scenarios
> directory (since this is where you have to put Snoopy's graphic files
> directory) and from there, find the irrigation file and replace it
> with another. For me its c:\games\civ III\Conquests\Scenarios\Snoopy's
> Terrain (C3C)\Art\Terrain. In that directory I would replace all the
> files that start with irrigation (there are three) with whatever
> irrigation files you have and that should do it. I never did it
> though, so that is just a guess. So back up those three irrigation
> files first if you try this.

Yes, it's all good! I made backups just in case, but there was no problem!
I'm pleased with the upgrades, and thanks again for the ones you sent me!
April 20, 2004 4:43:07 PM

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:12:11 +0100, "Contro"
wrote:

>Yes, got it all going! In the end, I just copied his files into the art
>folder, except not including the irrigation files. Works very well! And I
>installed the mods you sent me as well! They are very good indeed! The
>smiley mod that you sent me was not the conquests version though, but I
>found that after a quick search on CivFanatics,

Oops! Sorry about that, I gave you the wrong one. There is indeed a
Conquests version. I don't know why I even kept the old one. After
using the smiley mod for awhile, I soon learned I could not go without
it anymore. :)
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 10:09:32 PM

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:00:26 +0100, "Contro"
wrote:

>Jeffery S. Jones wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 21:47:59 +0100, "Contro"
>> <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> "topcover" <topcover@home.net> wrote in message

>>> well I think I might have to look into it! but I think only once
>>> I've played the original and done really well at that. it seems to
>>> be a pretty big modification from the main game, such as with AK47's
>>> one, and I think I would be silly to change before I've mastered the
>>> original game.
>>
>> DyP is a major rule change mod -- any of those really make it more
>> like a different game.
>
>Yes, there certainly ar a lot of changes! But as I say, I think I'll
>continue with the normal game, and get good at that before I start another
>one. I think that is the best bet. Since the mods only have more options,
>I think I should understand the original ones well first!
>

>> Graphic mods, OTOH, are fine to use -- PTW and Conquests both let
>> you load them, then load something else to play, no need to actually
>> change the game.
>
>Very true. I think those will definitely be the first lot I try.
>Especially the new terrain mods.
>

>> DyP in PTW or Conquests is the same -- you load it as a scenario.
>
>oh right, so I could still play the original with no difference, it's only
>when I choose a scenario game that the Double your Pleasure rules and extras
>are used?

Right -- using PTW or Conquests. The original Civ3 couldn't support
quite as many changes in scenarios -- but most people now have PTW or
Conquests.

>>> But thanks for the recommendation though! I'll certainly keep this
>>> one in mind later on!
>>>
>>> One question I have with the mods though is that do all the new
>>> additions to the tech tree slow you down in getting to the modern
>>> era or what not? I like the way Constitutional Monarchy is added
>>> though, as I always wondered why that wasn't there in the first
>>> place. Although I would say that being from the UK LOL
>>
>> DyP has many more techs, which means many more turns in the game.
>> It is slower in turns but not really in years; early period turns go
>> faster because there is less that you can do for a while.
>
>But surely if there were more techs, there would be more years too, or it
>would take longer to reach the later techs in the Modern era?

DyP changes the time scale so there are more turns per era (or
fewer years per turn, depending on how you think about it). The DyP
game is longer in turns because there are more things to do -- more
techs, more unit types, more buildings.

** Muskego WI Access Channel 14/25 <http://www.execpc.com/~jeffsj/mach7/&gt;
*Starfire Design Studio* <http://www.starfiredesign.com/&gt;
April 21, 2004 4:30:17 PM

Jeffery S. Jones wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:00:26 +0100, "Contro"
> <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
> wrote:
>
>> Jeffery S. Jones wrote:
>>> On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 21:47:59 +0100, "Contro"
>>> <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>

>>> DyP is a major rule change mod -- any of those really make it more
>>> like a different game.
>>
>> Yes, there certainly ar a lot of changes! But as I say, I think I'll
>> continue with the normal game, and get good at that before I start
>> another one. I think that is the best bet. Since the mods only
>> have more options, I think I should understand the original ones
>> well first!
>>

>>> Graphic mods, OTOH, are fine to use -- PTW and Conquests both let
>>> you load them, then load something else to play, no need to actually
>>> change the game.
>>
>> Very true. I think those will definitely be the first lot I try.
>> Especially the new terrain mods.
>>

>>> DyP in PTW or Conquests is the same -- you load it as a scenario.
>>
>> oh right, so I could still play the original with no difference,
>> it's only when I choose a scenario game that the Double your
>> Pleasure rules and extras are used?
>
> Right -- using PTW or Conquests. The original Civ3 couldn't support
> quite as many changes in scenarios -- but most people now have PTW or
> Conquests.

Yes, I've got conquests, so that isn't a problem. Well, I think I'll
certainly be downloading this and the missing links games to have a see what
they are like, especially since they don't affect the main game. I'll want
to play the normal game for a bit longer though, as I still have a lot to
learn about it all! Nevermind starting a different type of game with a lot
of new rules!

>>> DyP has many more techs, which means many more turns in the game.
>>> It is slower in turns but not really in years; early period turns go
>>> faster because there is less that you can do for a while.
>>
>> But surely if there were more techs, there would be more years too,
>> or it would take longer to reach the later techs in the Modern era?
>
> DyP changes the time scale so there are more turns per era (or
> fewer years per turn, depending on how you think about it). The DyP
> game is longer in turns because there are more things to do -- more
> techs, more unit types, more buildings.

ahhh, that makes sense! Well, I see no reason not to try these mods! I'll
let you know when I do! Although as I say, it might not be for a while yet.
April 21, 2004 4:31:24 PM

Mike wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:12:11 +0100, "Contro"
> <moridin@contro.freeserve.co.remove.then.add.initials.of.united.kingdom>
> wrote:
>
>> Yes, got it all going! In the end, I just copied his files into the
>> art folder, except not including the irrigation files. Works very
>> well! And I installed the mods you sent me as well! They are very
>> good indeed! The smiley mod that you sent me was not the conquests
>> version though, but I found that after a quick search on CivFanatics,
>
> Oops! Sorry about that, I gave you the wrong one. There is indeed a
> Conquests version. I don't know why I even kept the old one. After
> using the smiley mod for awhile, I soon learned I could not go without
> it anymore. :)

LOL no problem! Thanks for sending it anyway! But yes, it does look to be
a very handy change. I'll be telling my friends who also play civ about
this one! And the one with the mineral graphic changes!
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 7:14:30 AM

Argll,

I still play vanilla civ 3 but will soon buy C3C (as soon as I have failed
my exams) and didn't even get through all the rules of vanilla civ 3 (ok,
quite all, but not all).

I even made small changes in the mod (renaming fallacious city names, adding
some city names and great leader names, ...) and was impressed with the
changes you could made (but also a bit disappointed).

I've been looking for informations (for example about getting a translation,
search that failed) and got flooded with information about patches, mods and
so on...
Altogether with the "normal" new possibilities, it makes a lot.

I've just spent many hours on civfanatics, and you guys will get me crazy
:-D , I had to say that, well let's try to keep some of these info in
mind...

Hope the Magnamund project is still going good, I feel concerned ^^
April 22, 2004 4:20:55 PM

Lonewolf_ wrote:
> Argll,
>
> I still play vanilla civ 3 but will soon buy C3C (as soon as I have
> failed my exams) and didn't even get through all the rules of vanilla
> civ 3 (ok, quite all, but not all).
>
> I even made small changes in the mod (renaming fallacious city names,
> adding some city names and great leader names, ...) and was impressed
> with the changes you could made (but also a bit disappointed).
>
> I've been looking for informations (for example about getting a
> translation, search that failed) and got flooded with information
> about patches, mods and so on...
> Altogether with the "normal" new possibilities, it makes a lot.
>
> I've just spent many hours on civfanatics, and you guys will get me
> crazy :-D , I had to say that, well let's try to keep some of these
> info in mind...
>
> Hope the Magnamund project is still going good, I feel concerned ^^

yes, there certainly are a lot of mods you can get which will add more to
the game, nevermind the huge amount there is to do in the normal game, as
you say! That's what I've been saying in regards to the mods really, as
while they do look great and add a lot, I've still not discovered half of
what the normal game has to offer! So I don't think I'll play them yet, but
I certainly will do so once I've played the "normal" game more and got
really good at it!

Good luck with your exams though! I'm sure you'll do fine! Just try to
stay away from Civ while you revise! Easier said than done I know! LOL
!