Problem in games(Ti 4200)-need some professionals

Feroman

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2002
Hi, I´ve go a REAL serious problem in some games (UT 2003,MOH,Counter-strike,...),when I´m doing round sidesteps, its twitching,when I´m just looking aroung, going forward,backward, right or left its OK, only those damn sidesteps. Changeing graphic drivers doesn´t affect this, I´ve tried it under Win Me and XP. Does anybody know what could cause this?Thanx for your ideas.

Sidestepping does require complete screen scrolling, you said you've tried different drivers, those cards are serious resource hogs and are recommended to be run on IRQ 11 by themselves, which sometimes is very difficult to accomplish, what is sharing the IRQ with the card and how much total system RAM are you running, 512Mb is an excellent range to be in for your system RAM, to be able to take up the slack. If its on IRQ 11 with either the Lan, or the Soundcard, you will have problems even with WinXP, but if the system is not crashing, you could have a defective Video card, I would check out the IRQ resources first, and check for conflicts.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
Why IRQ 11? I understand the need for being alone on an IRQ...but my card chose IRQ 10...is IRQ 11 better than 10? It seems to work ok...........should I leave it or throw everything off 11? Maybe I don't want to know considering the work involved...lol...........frew

P.S. I am sorry I don't have the info on side stepping...maybe it's in the tweaking software........try blending performance and image quality...hope this can help some

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
Get the Coolbits registry hack. It will add a tab to the direct3d settings and turn Vsync on all the time. I'm pretty sure what you're describing is called tearing.

The Men Behind the GUNS!

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=327" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>

mito

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
My GeForce IV ti4200 card uses IRQ 5.
The onboard AC'97 uses IRQ 11.

Is this serious? My games run quite smooth.

How do I switch them?

/\/\ito

Feroman

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2002
Im using 256mb of system memory, the card is shareing IRQ 11 with a LAN card,do you think that could be the problem?

vacs

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
try the coolbits hack as <b>rubberbband</b> said and enabled vsync for both Direct3D games (UT2003) as also OpenGL based games (MOHAA, CS). You are most definitely experiencing the tearing effect. This has nothing to do with the IRQ on which your graphiccard is running...

Feroman

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2002
Ive installed it but I cant find that VSync feature for OpenGl,maybe its because I dont have the latest version of coolbits,could some of you please give me a link for the latest version?Thanks

Feroman

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2002
Well, I have some questions about that tearing effect:What causes this?If it is a hardware problem is it a reason to reclaim my video card?Ive noticed that the higher framerate is the worse is the tearing effect, so maybe if I had some kind of a "framerate limiter", it could help, dont you know about something like that?And finally, when I set VSync to always on in coolbits it help but it also reduced my 3dmark score from 9800 to 6500(this support my "high framerate teory"). P.S. Sorry for my English, I hope you understand

vacs

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
The tearing effects happens when the framerate at which the graphics are rendered is not in sync with the refreshrate of the monitor. Since it depends on the vertical synchronzation (hence vsync) this tearing only happens when the view shifts sideways and not as much when for example running straight forward in a game or looking up and down...

Your "high framerate theory" is correct, but you don't need a framerate limiter; that's why vsync exists. Enabling vsync will limit the max gaming framerate to the current refreshrate and therefore performance will decrease unless your PC can't anyway keep up with that speed. Visual quality however will be better with vsync enabled. I usually enabled vsync for D3D games and disable it for OpenGL but everyone has to find their own settings here...

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I'm suprised no one has mentioned this, but it's very likely your refresh rate. If you have XP, then most likely your refresh rate is set at 60hz, and this would definately cause "tearing". Use something like Powerstrip and lock your refresh rate at the highest your monitor will allow(probably 75 or 85). This should help significantly with the "tearing" issue.

Feroman

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2002
Im already using refresh lock, it helps but doesnt fix it fully. About that VSync: So you say it wont affect my performence and speed of the game anyway it reduces the 3d mark score so much?So for example when I play counter-strike the normal framerate without VSync would lets say 100fps and with VSync it will be 75fps(as my refresh rate) and when Ill play something what needs some better hardware and Ill have 70fps without VSync it will stay on 70fps even when the VSync is on because its less then my refresh rate, do I get it right? Another thing I wanted to ask is where I can get the latest version of coolbits, because as I already said I cant enable the VSync for OpenGl with the version I have?(I have dets 40.71) Thanks

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
Curious? If the monitor is capable of 120hz is it ok to leave it on optimal...will this setting let it choose settings this high for applications that request it? Also, I can disable vsync in the nvidia 40.72...by setting it for always off...is this the place to disable vsync?

Feroman

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2002
Yes, it is a place to disable it, but I need a place to enable to always on, in dets you can set it only to on by default, whitch from my experience means off. If your monitor supports 120Hz then its ok when you leave it off, but Im glad to get poor 75Hz from my old AOC so again Ï NEED SOMETHING THAT COULD FORCE THE VSYNC ON IN OPENGL, PLEEAASSEE IF YOU KNOW ABOUT SOMETHING, TELL ME!!!

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
Your right there is no always on setting. Rather than use the optimal for my monitor I chose adapter defaults...I believe when I did this I left things (such as choosing resolution settings) up to the video card. If this is so...than maybe it could help some. For my own curiosity I am wondering if it is defeatism to put vsync on by default while having monitor resolution set to adapter default......If I see software or find info that can allow an always on setting for vsync I will post.

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
Try this link...it may have what you need........if it works with current driver...half way down the page....

http://www.guru3d.com/guide/benchmark-guide/

I don't know how to link this so that you can just hit it...you might just have to type it in address bar...

Feroman

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2002
The utility the guy in the article is talking about is called coolbits, it can force vsync but only in direct3d, i need something for opengl, but thanks for help anyway.