Suggestions Requested

Nvidia

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
I got the deal from Best Buy for the Geforce4 Ti 4200 128MB DDR but the problem is I only have a 2x AGP slot and not a 4x AGP slot. I'm using XP Pro and the computer seems to run slow ever since I put in the card. I got a 3300 on 3DMark benchmarks which is worse than my Voodoo5 and was wondering if it would be better for me to switch to Windows 98SE or Windows 2000? Do you think doing this might help me?

"The Greatest Risk in Life is Not Taking One." -Allianz

bloaty

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002
Did you reinstal windows between the voodoo5 and the geforce? Id stay with XP pro myself, just format and reinstall everything if you havent. Make sure all the AA and filtering crap is off in the display settings before you benchmark as well.

Nvidia

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
I didn't reinstall between the Voodoo5 and Geforce4. I got the card yesterday and just put it in. This guy got the card yesterday also and his benchmark is 10005. I have a lot of stuff that I don't want to lose on the hard drive that's why I asked here if mabye I could get better results with 98SE or 2000 Pro. I don't want to back up all the stuff on the hard drive either.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It could be a configuration issue (the card is backwards compatable and should give you a great speed boost). XP doesn't like hardware switches, so it could be an installation issue. Also try the latest drivers from nVidia.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Nvidia

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
The Geforce4 doesn't require a 4x AGP slot. I have it running on my 2x AGP slot. Its just that its really slow. Example: When I click to minimize something it like freezes and then minimizes. With the Voodoo it did it right away.

Nvidia

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
I got the latest drivers from Nvidia this morning but the problem is still there.

Nvidia

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
Also, I did get an error during installation that the install of the card didn't go right but when I went into Device Manager the card was showing up as normal.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It sounds to me like you might need to reinstall the OS. Windows XP is actually designed to inhibit upgrades.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Nvidia

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
That's the one thing I didn't want to do. I'll do it tomorrow and come back with results.

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you reinstall Windows (98 SE anyway) while in windows enviroment,
it doesn't mess with any settings or data. It sounds like you are considering reformating and all that. Correct me if I am wrong.
Best Regards,
Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Take_Out on 11/30/02 03:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Nvidia

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
I was planning to format because I have heard that Windows XP won't let you go back to a lower version of Windows in the windows environment. The only way is to format.

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
sometimes what you don't want to do is the best thing to do. start backing up what you need and format, nothing can beat a clean install to get the fresh unchanged sys files and let new drivers change them as needed.

I format every time if there is a major change in my setup, that's not a lot (every 6 months or more), but keep me running error free. But I also use 98se so my setup goes a lot faster than XP (also doing a basic install, taking off everything on the install list).

good luck

<b><font color=blue>Press 1 if you want to be on hold, 2 for disconnect, 3 for a representative who will put you on hold before disconnecting.</font color=blue></b>

eden

Champion
If well optimized and taken care off, WinXP can be faster than Win98 in all aspects, just a small note.

--
**Canadian joke:
Here we don't say the word "retarded", we say "Alliance"! -Mike Bullard**

UsHeR_564

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
I have a suggestion for you on your "reinstall". If you have a large HD, say, over 30 GB or so, then you would benifit greatly by partitioning that drive and making 2 drives out of it. I do this on all my computers so that if I have to "reinstall" the OS, then I have a D:\ drive to put all the stuff on and not have to worry about where to put it (backup)! Say you have a 40GB drive. Make a partition that's 10 GB for your OS and stuff that will be the primary partition, then make the rest of the drive D:\. Once you install a program in C:\, all the needed files, dll's and such, are installed in the System dir and you can put the program anywhere you want. Example, I have a Quake2 folder that's 1.5GB or so on my D:\ drive. When I "reinstall" Quake2, after I finish, I go to my icon on the desktop and point it to the Quake2 directory on the D:\ drive. That way, when you click on the icon, it opens Quake2 from the D:\drive. You can do this with other programs too. When all the "reinstalls" are finished I can then go the the C:\Program Files\Quake2 folder and delete it, which will free up space, if needed, on the small C:\ partition. Works for me because I too format and reinstall about twice a year and with this system, I never loose my good stuff!

UsHeR_564

"You can run, but your punk ass will only die tired!"

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
are you and your team of XP lovers going to leave me a note on every post that XP is better? I don't give a flying [-peep-] about it, used it multiple times and it was a piece of [-peep-] for me, get over it. I don't want to hear another remark with "re: me" in it and XP.

you and your friends can use it, love it, have sex with it. I don't [-peep-] care!!!! 98se does everything right for me so I'm not going to change because of a bunch of people like you guys got nothing to say other than "XP is better, it's alot better, it's faster, it's alot faster".

buy an SUV because people think it's better even though they live in states where they don't even see snow or offroading mean driving through a pothole in the middle of the city, buy a pick-up just so you can buy a cover for the back because you almost never use it, buy an import and spend 30,000$ on it just so you can go at half decent speed.... and so on. I don't care what you people do

I don't force anything I own on others because I don't want anyone to try and force something on me I wouldn't want, so you guys could [-peep-] back off already with your [-peep-] XP comments already. lemmings and sheep have one thing in common, they follow the one front because they don't know better. I don't follow people because they ask me to do so, I rather see if the path is for me or not.

feel like you guys are in XP, Intel AMD and other cults brainwashed or something because you keep saying the same thing over and over, trying to make people follow you because IT'S A MUST. Get over it, you like something that's fine, it does not mean it would work out the same for others.

the new MS OS is coming out soon so you all can go and buy it and start busting poeple's balls with XP telling them that XP sucks. I can't wait to see and laugh, still on 98SE most likely because still not doing anything that would require an OS update.

<b><font color=blue>Press 1 if you want to be on hold, 2 for disconnect, 3 for a representative who will put you on hold before disconnecting.</font color=blue></b>

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
also..

"If well optimized and taken care off, WinXP can be faster than Win98 in all aspects, just a small note."

here is a [-peep-] small note to you buddy, I said 98se install faster than XP, read it well next time before answering. please claim that it's not true, I can use a good laugh right about now.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
here is a [-peep-] small note to you buddy, I said 98se install faster than XP, read it well next time before answering. please claim that it's not true, I can use a good laugh right about now.
Fine, I'll tell you WinXP installs fast because it comes with more drivers and so you have less drivers to worry about after installation. I'm sorry, but Win98 and ME have nothing going for them at the moment. They're less secure, less flexible, more error prone, more likely to crash, and have a clunkier interface. I can understand why some prefer Win2K over XP but WinXP is superior to Win98 in almost every way.

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

eden

Champion
I'll just assume you had something that had you going off today, so you lashed out on me like this.
Good day sir and have a mature day!

--
**Canadian joke:
Here we don't say the word "retarded", we say "Alliance"! -Mike Bullard**

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
my brother in law asked to take a look at his car because it doesn't start. after dicking with it going through electrical and then fuel for about 90 minutes he told me he put in a new battery because they had to boost it this morning, it smoked a nice one and since then it doesn't start. I was trying not to fly off the handle and let him know that he is one of the biggest morons I ever seen when it comes to cars and he shouldn't touch it if he doesn't know that red is positive and black is negative (also marked -+ just to be sure).

I was frozen stiff (yeah I am canuck and it's getting [-beeeeeeeeeeeep-] cold here!) and I was pissed off that I have to be cold because somebody was dumb again. Sorry about going off on any of you, it's not my usual style.

but I did use XP and it gave me errors, then more errors and after a while it just refused to boot at all (it did that a couple of times and have no clue why, it just keep getting worse and worse with the errors till I only get blue screen of death instead of boot (the longest time I was able to use it was 1 month before death)). so now I'm anti XP and for real 98se is just fine for me and for what I use it for (no it does not crash, no errors, not need to be on too long but did hang on for a week and a day for fun before I needed to reboot. on average I reboot twice a week do to installing something or just turning it off when not in use. also boot in 25 seconds so I'm happy). might just trade my pro cd with a home version and try again, you never know, it might work out (yeah but don't stand on one foot waiting for that to happen, only if I'm forced because everything I need is going to be for XP or newer OS).

cheers :smile:

btw all my hardware passed for XP use and I did use ntfs instead of fat so that couldn't be. not looking to find why it didn't work, not bothering with it anymore. :wink:

eden

Champion
That's ok, no harm done. Besides, if you read my sig in previous posts, it wouldn't be too hard to find out you have a fellow neighbor from the "north pole" too! :wink:

--
The THGC Photo Album project,<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">CLICK HERE!</A>

Nvidia

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
Okay I installed Win 2k Pro but my 3D Marks barely pass 4000. The highest I get is 4097. Any suggestions?

"The Greatest Risk in Life is Not Taking One." -AIG