D-Link Problems - WEP/WPA-PSK Remote Access

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
June 28, 2004 3:45:58 PM

Know what you mean about the blame.

Did get a minor breakthrough at the weekend. I uninstalled the drivers
and utility as when the utility was installed it would not let the
wireless zero icon appear.

Found this through disabling the service under manage computers.

Once I had the blame to assign, namely the D-Link configuration
utility, I reinstalled using only the driver. Then I configured using
the Microsoft Wireless Zero tool.

It appears to be working at present, and reasonably fast. As you
reported it does not like very large files, and reports drop outs
regularly, but I am back online.

I still have not tried to set up the WPA-PSK, that is for another month
of evenings ;-(

Best of fortune with D-Link, I remain disallusioned with them.
Donchik

--
Donchik
a b F Wireless

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:45:58 GMT, Donchik
<Donchik.18k70y@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote:

>Know what you mean about the blame.
>
>Did get a minor breakthrough at the weekend. I uninstalled the drivers
>and utility as when the utility was installed it would not let the
>wireless zero icon appear.
>
>Found this through disabling the service under manage computers.
>
>Once I had the blame to assign, namely the D-Link configuration
>utility, I reinstalled using only the driver. Then I configured using
>the Microsoft Wireless Zero tool.
>
>It appears to be working at present, and reasonably fast. As you
>reported it does not like very large files, and reports drop outs
>regularly, but I am back online.
>
>I still have not tried to set up the WPA-PSK, that is for another month
>of evenings ;-(
>
>Best of fortune with D-Link, I remain disallusioned with them.
>Donchik

I have a notebook with a Gigabyte card in it. Their utility also won't
let Wireless Zero stay active. Maybe it is a function of the reference
software for the chipset (Atheros?).

Because of that problem I used their utility to set up WEP. It worked.
After that I set up WPA and couldn't get the configuration through
utility to work. I ended up disabling the utility and using Windows to
Configure which is working.

I've posted comments here in the last couple weeks. Anyway D-Link isn't
the only vendor with the problems you described above.
!