Workstation Video Card?

wonton

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2002
hey everyone. soon i'll be building a workstation for use with Maya 4.5 for when i go to college. i've been reading up on what the best OpenGL card i could buy for the workstation would be but to be honest, i'm a little confused. i've read that the 3DLabs Wildcat II 5110 card is the best for CAD type programs but isn't the greatest choice for 3D modeling software. i also heard that ATI's FireGL-2 card is a good overall card to have but needs all the CPU power it can handle to keep up the performance. also i was wondering how the new NV30-chip video card will stack up against either the Wildcat or the FireGL-2 performace wise for use with Maya 4.5.

so basically if anyone can help me out, which should i choose:

3DLabs Wildcat II 5110
ATI FireGL-2
NV30-chip video card.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most of this stuff is OpenGL-only. That means you'll need a card that does well in OpenGL. The 3DLabs cards are way out of my price range, so I can't help you beyond that in your choice, except to tell you that my personal preference would be a gaming card that does OpenGL well. And that's a bang for the buck choice, based on a more reasonable quantity of bucks.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>