no sound in messenger

problem: my buddies cannot hear me when i connect to audio in msn
messenger..i can hear them though, i've selected the microphone, turned the
volume up, don't know what else to do.any ideas? running xp, mess. 6.2.
thanks
11 answers Last reply
More about sound messenger

    How are you connected? Dial up, Cable, DSL? Do you have a router or such?
    What microphone do you have selected, the one plugged into the sound card or
    the one built into the camera?

    Joel

    "stewie" <stewie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > problem: my buddies cannot hear me when i connect to audio in msn
    > messenger..i can hear them though, i've selected the microphone, turned
    > the
    > volume up, don't know what else to do.any ideas? running xp, mess. 6.2.
    > thanks

    cable, no router, running soundMAX digital audio,, i don't have an external
    mic, (not really sure how to answer the mic question) i'm presuming my
    computer has a mic imbedded in the motherboard..no??

    > cable, no router, running soundMAX digital audio,, i don't have an
    > external
    > mic, (not really sure how to answer the mic question) i'm presuming my
    > computer has a mic imbedded in the motherboard..no??

    A mic is a device part of the computer that you talk into.
    A microphone (mic) is something you buy at OfficeMax, Circuit City, etc.
    It costs $10 to $20. One end plugs into the soundcard near the speakers.
    X 0 X (there is usually a plug space between speaker plug and mic plug)

    Laptops will often have a mic included as part of the front panelling.
    Desktops don't come with a mic (or very rarely).
    Some webcams have a mic, but it is better to buy an external mic.

    > "Joel Estes" wrote:
    >
    >> How are you connected? Dial up, Cable, DSL? Do you have a router or
    >> such?
    >> What microphone do you have selected, the one plugged into the sound card
    >> or
    >> the one built into the camera?
    >>
    >> Joel
    >>
    >> "stewie" <stewie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > problem: my buddies cannot hear me when i connect to audio in msn
    >> > messenger..i can hear them though, i've selected the microphone, turned
    >> > the
    >> > volume up, don't know what else to do.any ideas? running xp, mess. 6.2.
    >> > thanks

    OK, now go purchase the microphone (I fail to know the difference) and plug
    it in and then make sure that the built-in Windows Firewall is DISABLED, run
    the Wizard and you should be on the way.

    Joel

    "Stephen Harris" <cyberguard1048-usenet@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > "stewie" <stewie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> cable, no router, running soundMAX digital audio,, i don't have an
    >> external
    >> mic, (not really sure how to answer the mic question) i'm presuming my
    >> computer has a mic imbedded in the motherboard..no??
    >>

    > A mic is a device part of the computer that you talk into.
    > A microphone (mic) is something you buy at OfficeMax, Circuit City, etc.
    > It costs $10 to $20. One end plugs into the soundcard near the speakers.
    > X 0 X (there is usually a plug space between speaker plug and mic
    > plug)
    >
    > Laptops will often have a mic included as part of the front panelling.
    > Desktops don't come with a mic (or very rarely).
    > Some webcams have a mic, but it is better to buy an external mic.
    >

    >> "Joel Estes" wrote:
    >>
    >>> How are you connected? Dial up, Cable, DSL? Do you have a router or
    >>> such?
    >>> What microphone do you have selected, the one plugged into the sound
    >>> card or
    >>> the one built into the camera?
    >>>
    >>> Joel
    >>>
    >>> "stewie" <stewie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    got it!!..thanks stephen for the clarity!!

    stewie

    "Stephen Harris" wrote:

    > "stewie" <stewie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > cable, no router, running soundMAX digital audio,, i don't have an
    > > external
    > > mic, (not really sure how to answer the mic question) i'm presuming my
    > > computer has a mic imbedded in the motherboard..no??
    > >

    > A mic is a device part of the computer that you talk into.
    > A microphone (mic) is something you buy at OfficeMax, Circuit City, etc.
    > It costs $10 to $20. One end plugs into the soundcard near the speakers.
    > X 0 X (there is usually a plug space between speaker plug and mic plug)
    >
    > Laptops will often have a mic included as part of the front panelling.
    > Desktops don't come with a mic (or very rarely).
    > Some webcams have a mic, but it is better to buy an external mic.
    >

    > > "Joel Estes" wrote:
    > >
    > >> How are you connected? Dial up, Cable, DSL? Do you have a router or
    > >> such?
    > >> What microphone do you have selected, the one plugged into the sound card
    > >> or
    > >> the one built into the camera?
    > >>
    > >> Joel
    > >>
    > >> "stewie" <stewie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 18:05:02 -0700, stewie
    <stewie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >problem: my buddies cannot hear me when i connect to audio in msn
    >messenger..i can hear them though, i've selected the microphone, turned the
    >volume up, don't know what else to do.any ideas? running xp, mess. 6.2.
    >thanks

    Is your sound meter moving when you talk or not?

    ...D.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:55:11 -0500, "Joel Estes" <joel@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >OK, now go purchase the microphone (I fail to know the difference) and plug
    >it in and then make sure that the built-in Windows Firewall is DISABLED, run
    >the Wizard and you should be on the way.
    >
    >Joel

    You are telling someone to run without a firewall? I must have missed the
    beginning of the thread where the guy must have said he runs a 3rd party
    firewall already...

    ...D.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    nope.. nothing

    "...D." wrote:

    > On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 18:05:02 -0700, stewie
    > <stewie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > >problem: my buddies cannot hear me when i connect to audio in msn
    > >messenger..i can hear them though, i've selected the microphone, turned the
    > >volume up, don't know what else to do.any ideas? running xp, mess. 6.2.
    > >thanks
    >
    > Is your sound meter moving when you talk or not?
    >

    > ...D.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    I must have missed the fact he is running ANY FIREWALL, if so, then he will
    need to set the firewall to ALLOW the Messenger system to work. As for the
    XP firewall this has to be disabled, or if using SP2 then set to allow, or
    set to UPNP for it to work, but the UPNP is for a Router, not just a normal
    system.

    Joel

    "...D." <d@no_usenet_email..org> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:55:11 -0500, "Joel Estes" <joel@nowhere.com> wrote:
    >
    >>OK, now go purchase the microphone (I fail to know the difference) and
    >>plug
    >>it in and then make sure that the built-in Windows Firewall is DISABLED,
    >>run
    >>the Wizard and you should be on the way.
    >>
    >>Joel
    >
    > You are telling someone to run without a firewall? I must have missed the
    > beginning of the thread where the guy must have said he runs a 3rd party
    > firewall already...
    >
    > ...D.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    "stewie" <learn2fly@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > nope.. nothing
    >

    > "...D." wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 18:05:02 -0700, stewie
    >> <stewie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >> >problem: my buddies cannot hear me when i connect to audio in msn
    >> >messenger..i can hear them though, i've selected the microphone, turned
    >> >the
    >> >volume up, don't know what else to do.any ideas? running xp, mess. 6.2.
    >> >thanks
    >>
    >> Is your sound meter moving when you talk or not?
    >>

    >> ...D.

    A sound tool will register your audio if you have a microphone (mic).
    No meter is going to monitor a nox-existent device on your computer.
    That is why you need to buy a microphone; in order to have a tool
    that will collect sound waves, which will include your voice, which
    incidentally causes a sound volume icon to fluctuate when testing audio.
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    MSN Messenger 6.2 audio/video requirements:

    1. If using a modem/router it must be UPnP compatible. Set Zone Alarm to
    medium or shutdown, but if you are proficient with the settings, allow MSN
    Messenger 6.2.0205 access to the Internet.

    2. On the Network Connections, right click Local Area Connection, go to
    Properties, and the General tab should show a check mark only on Client for
    Microsoft Network, and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). No check on File and
    Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, nor on QoS Packet Scheduler.

    3. The Windows Firewall should be ON (recommended) and no check in Don't
    allow exceptions . The Exceptions tab will later show the MSN Messenger
    6.2.0205 and UPnP Framework as being active.

    4. In the Control Panel > Add Remove Programs > Add Remove Windows
    Components, scroll to Networking Services and remove all checks, except for
    Internet Gateway Device Discovery, and for UPnP User Interface. Click Ok,
    Next, and after clicking Next the Windows Wizard Component will run. Click
    Finish; now the UPnP will automatically open all required ports.

    5. Sign in on Messenger and run Audio/Video Tuning Wizard. In the Tools >
    Options > Connection tab, you should read You are connected to the Internet
    through a UPnP symmetric NAT. (Administrator); if you are using a dial-up
    line it will read You are connected to the Internet using a direct
    connection. Now check the Windows Firewall Exceptions list, the MSN Messenger
    6.2.0205 and UPnP Framework will now have a check mark and the required ports
    automatically open.

    6. Both Windows XP users sides should have similar setups, with working
    webcams and microphones. Remember that one side can have dial-up and the
    other a UPnP compatible modem/router.

    Hope this will help, it has with many people. Your friend, Erfain.

    "stewie" wrote:

    > problem: my buddies cannot hear me when i connect to audio in msn
    > messenger..i can hear them though, i've selected the microphone, turned the
    > volume up, don't know what else to do.any ideas? running xp, mess. 6.2.
    > thanks

Messenger Microsoft Windows XP